What's new

DJ shorts True Blueberry derived from same as Dutch Passions?

REZDOG said:
...just the odd deformity that works itself out as it matures.

Isn't that still a mutant?

If the condition wasn't caused by environmental factors, wouldn't you define it as a genetic mutation?

Last edited:

chimei

Well the mutations I experienced with DP BB, that I was assuming I am experiencing with DJ's True BB now, NEVER worked themselves out with the DP. And everything about the end result sucked. They all hermied, they all grew slow and I still took them out to the end in hopes of some good blue berry tasting smoke.

1 Smelled a tad like BB after cure, but that was it. Really weak high also with all the hermies.

I am more hopefull with the DJ true BB. I just had that sense of dread when I was looking at my True BB's and though whoa deja vue.

I am really hoping they turn out decent.

Hopefully I will have a male of each (true bb and orig bb) so I can cross them for some seeds of both crosses for later fun.

tb does stretch alot but it still ends up ok reminds me of og real ugly in veg prune off the bottom put some stakes in there they will end up bomb. they are like ugly ducklings they end up beatifull.

REZDOG said:
That's because they make "blueberry" seeds using their "blueberry" seeds,simply interfucked-and they have No Clue what traits to select for,so they don't.
Hence,the mutants.
You don't see many mutations in DJ's releases,just the odd deformity that works itself out as it matures.
DP's shit is just that,shit.

Deformites=Bad , Mutations=Good, DJ Shorts mutants come from the Purple Thai in his crosses.(The mutant thai genes are recessive as well..I think) Almost all my GK and TB female "keeper" phenos were mutant as well. I was dissapointed with both strains(Flavor,Potency,Yield=Weak).Way over priced IMO! $130.00/10pack on seedbay.

well i was never eager to try any of Dj's seeds because of the price. always wanted blueberry though, but didnt want to invest in DP seeds that wouldnt be truly blueberry... so recently i just got my mdanzigs fem blueberry... im not sure quite the lineage but $70 was a good price.. and for ten fem seeds is very good.. im hoping i can find a nice blueberry keeper in this pack.

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
i think that none of ya'll should buy any of dj shorts seeds. none. stayas far away from all dj seeds period. take MY word for it, you shouldnt buy them.

MO FA ME!

elfstone

i think that none of ya'll should buy any of dj shorts seeds. none. stayas far away from all dj seeds period. take MY word for it, you shouldnt buy them.

Well, swampdank, I recently grew out DJ's Flo, and it is, hands down, one of the best strains I have ever grown. I've been growing since 1976, starting out with seeds from the heritage strains, like DJ. His genetics continue the magic of those old heritage strains better than any other strain out there today. I have no hesitation in spending on DJ's strains; he has put years of discrimination and keen observation in discovering these great gifts of Gaia. They're truly priceless.

"It is the same strain in the sense that it is the same breeder that has developed and stabilized the genetics (DJ Short). It is not the same strain in the sense that the parent stock is not the same plants. If you ever grow Blueberry, you'll see that one plant rarely resembles another. This is to expect from a three way-cross (A Highland Thai also called Juicy Fruit Thai crossed with a first generation land-race Chocolate Thai X first generation land-race Highland Oaxaca Gold, crossed with an Afghani Indica that came to DJS from Afghanistan via California). Even when 'stabilized', you get so many different phenos that you never know what's going to turn up in a pack - and that goes for both the Dutch Passion and the DJ Short version.

There are actually three Blueberrys. DJ Short first worked out one version with Sagarmatha seeds, then moved on to Dutch Passion, and then developed his own line.
The Sagarmatha Blueberry is generally left out of the discussion because presumably they worked on it themselves (Sagarmatha has said that " After extensive breeding trials in Holland, the stability and growth patterns have become more consistent and predictable for growers", which probably mean they backcrossed it, but who knows?)
In any case, the Dutch Passion Blueberry is what DJ Short left them with (and is sold as 'Original Blueberry').
DJ Short's own line is supposedly from the original stock. I say supposedly, because the Blueberry was developed in the late 70's, and he worked on the following versions through the 80's and the 90's, so what's the original and what's not I don't know.
A rumor has it that when DJS left Dutch Passion, he scooped up some seeds and worked out his own line from there (which if true would mean that DP's version is the oldest original Blueberry around), but that's just hearsay so don't take it for more than a rumor."

And from DJ himself:
"I worked with in Europe. At this company about 50 seeds of each variety were sprouted, but I was once again mainly left out of the selection process except for sampling a number of finished products and making selections based on those (which is enough, actually). I never got to see any of the live plants from this selection process at company number two in Europe. I also contributed seed-stock for three more varieties there;
Blue Moonshine, Blue Heaven and Purple Passion.
The owner of this company was satisfied with paying me the minimum amount I would consider adequate.
Fortunately, part of the deal was my ability to remain Independent and work with whomever else I pleased.

FYI the Dutch Passion Blueberry stock (50 seeds) was the identical stock used for the True Blue (>200 seeds). I did not do any selection on the Dutch project except for finished product analysis, but I assume that they did not select any individuals with leaf anomalies. I hope that helps clear up some of the questions regarding differences between these varieties and their overall selection."

Sorry I do not have the source links. This was copy/pasted from my notes. Btw, DP is a crapshoot but you can still get lucky. Two out of three of my BB keepers are from DP. Took awhile to strike gold..

bloads

Seems to be the right thread to ask:

What are the thoughts on Ultimate Blueberry compared to DJ's original & DP's?

M

Mr. Mountain

Below was the VERY first female I grew from "new" stock TBB the results speak for themselves:

Sure they started with some deformations, which as others have stated usually work themselves out.

The ones that don't (as in staying fully mutant) usually produce the best resins though!

Bottom line is DJ's entire lineup is pretty much stellar, you have a range of options to choose from and I have never been less than pleased with the finished product.

I have many more DJ pic's in my gallery as well as not yet loaded.

GK:

Cocoa:

Wait until I run the dark purple Vanilla Moon again. It is in re-veg as we speak, it's high is magical.

Sorry for the rambling, speedy bho!

Mr. M