What's new

DJ Short Flo help f2.

herbgreen

Veteran
Any Idea when Dj started using the bb f4 as the male for Flo??

We had this in '96 and it was really great but would love to get back

Dont know if this new one is close,,,, anyone know?

Limeygreen

Veteran
He said he's had the same dad for 15 years or so now, flo mother is 27 years or more he said, (popped in 91 I believe) so it should be the same as 2003 at least but maybe not 96 based on that math.

Miraculous Meds

Any Idea when Dj started using the bb f4 as the male for Flo??

We had this in '96 and it was really great but would love to get back

Dont know if this new one is close,,,, anyone know?

Well I was thinking, hmm, ive never had the original flo seed before the bbf4 dad mix. But wait, I guess I do have the mother plant before the bbf4 dad addition. I ran 50 dj f5 flo, and I still have his original mother. they are very similar imo.

Dj's 91 flo mother
picture.php

herbgreen

Veteran
Was the old Flo made with the b130 male?

Anyway, we got this back then it was Dutch Passion

Before we had any idea who DJ short was He no doubt gave them the seeds but it was good and I remember it

So many great things through the 90s but this was memorable

It was a multi color dense spear shaped buds that did have a floral type nose with the complex earth hashy type taste like the description

Well Dj must know what he is doing....I sort of wish he would have just done a reproduction with some old Flo packs but then again I have no idea how long its been

I think Dj started with his brand in 2007-8 ? At least thats when I remember talking about F13 but he could have been independent alot earlier

I picked up that book he wrote its got some good insights

Looks great that '91

Thanks for setting things straight in this thread I finally found the answer to what male DJ has used in these newer Flo plants and all his plants

What about green path does alot of Dj work has that person been around much they had an F13 F2 ??

Limeygreen

Veteran
If Meds ran 50 of the newer f5 flo and says its comparable to the mother I would believe him as I just heard from someone else they have run the later versions and always found a keeper in each pack.

herbgreen

Veteran
Yeah, sure seems like MM has got the down low on the Dj short universe

We owe a great bit to the Dj short legacy

Limeygreen

Veteran
Would you be able to say what stands out in the mother cutting of flo and things to look out for when going through his seeds to match or exceed the mother?

Miraculous Meds

Was the old Flo made with the b130 male?

Anyway, we got this back then it was Dutch Passion

Before we had any idea who DJ short was He no doubt gave them the seeds but it was good and I remember it

So many great things through the 90s but this was memorable

It was a multi color dense spear shaped buds that did have a floral type nose with the complex earth hashy type taste like the description

Well Dj must know what he is doing....I sort of wish he would have just done a reproduction with some old Flo packs but then again I have no idea how long its been

I think Dj started with his brand in 2007-8 ? At least thats when I remember talking about F13 but he could have been independent alot earlier

I picked up that book he wrote its got some good insights

Looks great that '91

Thanks for setting things straight in this thread I finally found the answer to what male DJ has used in these newer Flo plants and all his plants

What about green path does alot of Dj work has that person been around much they had an F13 F2 ??

Don't quote me here, but ill try and get this post straight.

b130 male, selected by dj in Canada for the chimera crosses(70% b130 males in the breed room, 30% other bb males).

DP version of flo is probably like the bb version. Dj gave them a small seed lot of 50 I think, and the DP crew selected their own parental choices. So they would be different than Dj's own parental selections.

He made some more copies of the old book. Probably have to run into him to get one.

Thanks for the props on flo momma. Big thanks to dj for sharing. She makes some of my favorite hash.

Gp is making next f generation seeds of dj's gear with out his permission. Its a simple case of gp will say people cant get the genetics easily and they are expensive cause of middle men, etc.. I wouldn't support that, but if he hooked you up with some free ones, theres nothing wrong with that.:)

Also with dj's gear, your getting his selection, not gp's. And your getting genetics a generation closer to the parents. ie; more opportunity to select your own parents or keepers. At the end of the day its your decision, and I certainly don't want to start a conversation that helps promote gp's knock offs.

You know, if you make friends, im sure there are other people making flo f2's if you cant access the originals. Hell they might just be your next door neighbor.:comfort: (actually to be accurate, they are flo f6's)

It might be fun to s1 the flo mom, and see what comes(me wants some choc thai)...

Miraculous Meds

Would you be able to say what stands out in the mother cutting of flo and things to look out for when going through his seeds to match or exceed the mother?

a 10 pack will have at least 2 comparable females to the mother. More likely 4 per 10 pack imo. Being f5 there isn't a lot of variation, but you can find outliers from the mother. the tricky part is if you want to find something different cause the traits are so locked in. I did have a few different standouts that I liked quite a bit.

I cant really add too much more than dj's original description. Nepalese temple hash! Earthen, hashy, floral, cocoa, leather, pickles, roses, are a few of the things that can be noticeable for aromas n flavors. Hash turns into vanilla/sugar cookie flavor for me. Its got the great day time, anti anxiety, low stone, yet relaxing high.

Physical traits are purple stem, hollow stem, distinct green leaf, leaf variegation, and cocoa stem rub in veg for me.

herbgreen

Veteran
a 10 pack will have at least 2 comparable females to the mother. More likely 4 per 10 pack imo. Being f5 there isn't a lot of variation, but you can find outliers from the mother. the tricky part is if you want to find something different cause the traits are so locked in. I did have a few different standouts that I liked quite a bit.

Physical traits are purple stem, hollow stem, distinct green leaf, leaf variegation, and cocoa stem rub in veg for me.

Good to know and great dj kept that mother all these years!

Yeah, I dont have a clue about greenpath ...just see a couple things here and there about it and F13 f2s on Seedbay which are long gone

There may be something to having the old F13 but I think the Flo is where its at for me

He has the old original mother that's good enough for me

I like Dj is around alot in person and is still active in the process also passing the torch to his son

All good things and you can find some real frosty euphoric phenos in the Blueberry lines

mexicani-ar

Beautiful 91' Flo Miraculous Meds. I know this is slightly off topic , but does Dj Short still have the Oregon purple thai (highland Oaxaca gold x chocolate Thai) ? Does it still exist?

Miraculous Meds

Good to know and great dj kept that mother all these years!

Yeah, I dont have a clue about greenpath ...just see a couple things here and there about it and F13 f2s on Seedbay which are long gone

There may be something to having the old F13 but I think the Flo is where its at for me

He has the old original mother that's good enough for me

I like Dj is around alot in person and is still active in the process also passing the torch to his son

All good things and you can find some real frosty euphoric phenos in the Blueberry lines

F13 has always intrigued me , yet I have not even sampled it yet. Dj recently gave me a nice bag of orginal f13. 100% germination on 5 of them, and pretty good vigor. Ill have to ask him next I see him, if the f13 was knocked up by bbf4. Im thinking f13 was made before bbf4 but I cant recall for sure.

Dj said he would have a 100 packs or so of original f13, don't know if hes got them packed up yet? But if you run into him in person, may be worth a ask. Im gonna throw up some pics of original f13 probably in my dj f4 rnd thread.

I really think its great hes out there too, speaking for the plant. A great ambassador for the movement to free cannabis. Humble, intelligent, and bringing common sense to the masses that haven't heard the real basic truths of cannabis. Ill borrow one of my favorite Dj quotes. Please feel free to borrow it too.

"Cannabis is the safest substance known to human beings." Dj short
If you really want to get the ball rolling, ask the opposing person to name a substance that is more safe for the human body. Facts are facts, I have found nothing more safe in my existence that I can put into my body that wont kill me with overconsumption.

Miraculous Meds

Beautiful 91' Flo Miraculous Meds. I know this is slightly off topic , but does Dj Short still have the Oregon purple thai (highland Oaxaca gold x chocolate Thai) ? Does it still exist?

I don't recall talking to him about it. Im thinking that question has been asked before, and I think the answer was no. It might very well be in some gardens, but my gut tells me its probably not in dj's garden. But the short answer is idk... Id say check out some Oregon grower threads, best chance of finding somebody holding onto it. It would be a great find. If I remember ill ask dj, but I know his focus is on the new f4 rnd, blue moon shine, happy pussy, and maybe the "original cross" seed lot that started it all, if understood him correctly.

Don’t forget to check out DJ’s son JD’s work with DJ lines and other strains too. Looks to be some fire coming out of JD’s work too.

herbgreen

Veteran
Starting to get an understanding of what was done here...

F13 is a Flo variant that was crossed to b130 male

Flo was created before Blueberry and only consisted of OPT x Afghani

"Flo was discovered within the initial floral lines where the Oregon Purple Thai was crossed to the indica male. Working further along those lines, DJ Short created the Blueberry by crossing the earlier lines to Juicy Fruit/Afghani hybrids. This means that there is a little of both the sativa mothers in the Blueberry while there is only Purple Thai in the Flo. DJ Short himself explained that some traits were more accessible through the Purple Thai, while others could be found by further crossing the plant to the Juicy Fruit Thai hybrid."

https://blog.seedsman.com/the-origins-of-blueberry-cannabis-strain/

Since 1998 Dj has used the same parents to make Flo which uses a bb father......

Regarding Rumors of Parent Stock
posted by DJ Short

''FYI & FWIW the parent breed stock for ‘Blueberry’ and ‘flo’ seed has remained the same since 1998. The exact same mother and exact same father have been used for the ‘Blueberry’ seed since 1998. The ‘flo’ will be 22 years old in 2012! Exact same mother used for 22 years (from new and outdoor-rejuvenated clones) on the ‘flo’. The ‘flo’ seeds have the same father as the ‘Blueberry’ (again, since 1998). The ‘Stretch-Indica Blueberry’ male has been alive since 1998—13-plus years! Nothing has changed in my production regimen for 13-plus years.
What have changed are the nutrients and supplements that people are giving to their plants. Please remember, the plants from my seeds are generally nutrient sensitive initially due to being very organically produced for generations. Use the KISS method to start and find what it takes to dial-in your plants. Remember, the plant’s main source of food is light!
So, parent stock for the ‘Blueberry’ and ‘flo’ are exactly the same as they have been for the past 13 years. ‘Vanilluna’ and ‘Cocoa Kush’ were both created in 2005-‘06 and the exact same parent stock has been used for those since. ‘Vanilluna’ and ‘Cocoa Kush’ are from the exact same breeding stock (mother side) as the first version of ‘Blue Satellite’ (Swiss version, the same plant that is pictured, though mislabeled, on the cover of my book ‘Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis’).
The ‘True Blueberry’, ‘F-13’, ‘OTM’, ‘Flodica’, Grape Krush’, ‘Johnny Blaze’, ‘MRF’ et. al., were part of an r & d project done in Canada. Parent stock for these varieties no longer exist, though some people have genetic back-ups in seed form, and I’ve heard rumor of someone having the original F-13 mother still alive."

The Main point is the DJ short still has that '91 Flo Mother

Good to know phenos are close to the mother plant that's all I really need to know but I also couldnt help digging up the exact details

:ying: