What's new

DIY Under Current 8 site XL

max_well

Hey seek_UP thanks for the great tutorial.
Nice photos making it clear.
where is the best spot to incorporate the chiller, I wonder? would you go from the pump into the chiller, and then have the outlet of the chiller blast into the rez bucket? This seems like it could significantly reduce the flow, especially if the chiller is kept at a distance outside the room. Would it be better to use a second pump that sits in the rez bucket and flows into the chiller and back? I've also been checking out drop-in style, immersion chillers, and they look simplest to implement.
thanks again.

seek_UP

chiller get's hooked up on the exit side of the pump. this one has a chiller added after those pics were taken. from the pvc that comes into the controller from the exit side of the pump, just add a 3/4" slip to female threaded fitting and connect a 3/4" ID garden hose to it going to the input of the chiller, then back from the exit of the chiller to dump back into the controller. don't glue on that fitting to go from pvc to garden hose so it can be pulled off if the chiller isn't needed and so you can slip on another one for your garden hose going to a drain to empty the system..

seek_UP

@loud. about $580 with everything bu the chiller. could be built with cheaper with lower quality pumps. $260 in pumps..

bulkybud

Great job on the DYI.
But I guess it also makes us realize that UC is a reasonably priced hydro system...things add up and labor time, time is money.

Nevertheless, awesome demonstration and some priceless experience added.:tiphat:

C

Casual

I'm just about ready to drop my clones into a 12-bucket Biobucket setup. I am using 8" netpots with 4" holes in the lids. The net pots are mounted to the bottom of the lids with stainless steel hardware. I used a 'Circle Cutter' to do the cutouts. I'm cut up to 1/2" ply wood with these things... it LAUGHS at the plastic, goes right through it. It's adjustable from 7/8" up to 4" (Actually, I think it'll do a bit larger than 4"). Best part, they're under $20... They can be had from several different places... I found one here (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11196) it'll give you an idea of what they look like. Only Caveat... you really need a drill press to use it, but cheap drill presses can be had for $50 or less, and there's almost always a use for a drill press! :)

I'm looking to setup a second grow room and am VERY interested in doing UC this time around. Thanks for this thread!!!

Caz

seek_UP

buckets aren't light proof, they're white. it would be nice to insulate the buckets with something, maybe that sleeving for water heaters or duct work. Since the chiller keeps the water much cooler that the air outside the buckets, the buckets have condensation. minor quirk.

on the 3" pipe, there's no reason for it. the 2" return is already almost 3 times the flow rate of the pump line. Going any larger would serve no purpose and would be much more of a PIA to deal with. 2" is absolutely perfect for this system.

one other thing to add on this. Keep the water level above the net cups and set the float valve here so the system stays topped up at this level (for this particular system that equates to about 42 gallons of water to bring it up to that level, not including the water you keep in the top-up rez (obviously). it has been found that about 1 gallon of water per site is drank per day in veg. i can assume flowering will use more daily water. given that, a "brute trashcan or similar may be a good choice for a top up rez.

seek_UP

@bulkybud - i agree. if spending money isn't a problem, this system actually IS worth the retail price. like you said, time is money..... just depends on which of the two you have more to spare :)

angel4us

ICMag Donor
do you want them light proof???? spray on rubber truck bed liner at ace hardware . pretty cheap works well.

Asil

Hey man nice setup, I just got done setting a DIY 9 site. After 3 weeks of veg, i would have to say the growth rate is unreal. I was wondering if u run a half strength nut solution in u r system?

Latest posts

Latest posts