What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

Freakazoid44

Huge difference

Huge difference

I have the standard mesh kitchen strainers, which basically allowed most of the dried flower bits to pass through, as well, but there was definitely pollen in there.

When I started this, I ordered a really fine-mesh strainer - not sure if it's supposed to be for getting fat off of broth, or for tea, but it arrived.

I took all my stored "pollen" for my semi-successful first try and put it through the new strainer. Really, really big difference. Just the dust-fine stuff passed through, so now I have about two .5 ml vials of what is mostly pollen. Looking forward to trying it out next time I grow "grapefruit" plants.

s-l1600.jpg

Here's the item listing on eBay is anyone else wants to grab one. It's cheap, but since it ships from China, it takes about a month, so if you have any urgency, look for similar items from a domestic supplier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Skimme...t-Oil-Filters-Skimming-GreaseRDR/154087049100

Also - C99 is going very well. Still did about a total of four or five sprays, but stopped as soon as flowers were showing sex, and just the very bottom of the plant looks definitely male, all the rest female. I did this one early enough that I might be able to pollinate the same plant. If not, I have two C99s that are about 25 days behind this one that just went into flowering light cycle.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dental vibrator fellas. 50 dolla holla on Amazon. They have a bigger rectangle one for more.

Freakazoid44

Second try going much better

Second try going much better

So, in addition to spraying for way too long with my grapefruit strain plant on my inaugural STS attempt (and I still did get some pollen), I also kept that plant for a looooooong time in 24-hour light. It was actually starting to show female gender before I switched it.

For my C99 I was much more proactive on when I changed to flowering light cycle, and wound up doing a grand total of four sprays.

I just have the bottom couple of rows of stems sprayed and turning male, the rest of the plant is female. I'm hoping to get pollen early enough to produce seeds on the plant. If not, I have another two plants 3 to 4 weeks behind this one, so I will pollinate a couple branches on that one if I can't self-pollinate on this one.

Ladies and gentlemen, on the same plant.

Freakazoid44

What a difference, and thank you all!

What a difference, and thank you all!

Here are some more photos of my C99 project - my second attempt at STS pollen creation.

Just looking at how the male flowers have developed this time, vs my initial posts on this thread, when I dove in and didn't have all the knowledge you guys shared with me as I learned from my mistakes on that first Grapefruit grow, it's like night and day.

You guys rock!

HillBillyAlien

I see people have posted a few different STS mix ups on this thread and i was wondering if there is a better one then the one at the start of this thread or if that one is just the best to follow?

G

Having great results with sts guide on this thread.

Thought I'd experiment to see if a penetrating surfactant added would help bring it down to a single treatment of sts.

anyone here given a foliar spray additive a go? Notice a change?
I'll be sure to share the results

midwestkid

Veteran
I've jumped in the soup now.
Mixed up my concoction tonight and sprayed 2 clones.
One Bubba variety, one bandaid Haze IX 3.0
Now I wait?
They are under 24 hour light right now.
Gonna wait 5 days spray again and move into 12/12. Wait 5 more days and final spray? That's the plan anyways.
Side note. I used the anhydrous version of thiosulfate.
And based on my caveman calculations I think my ratio landed around 1:8 on accident. Not intentionally straying from the directions...
I am far from a chemist, but I sure had fun pretending to be a scientist for 30 minutes.
Anywho. Cheers and I will post a picture if I see anything masculine pop up.

Freakazoid44

I've jumped in the soup now.
Mixed up my concoction tonight and sprayed 2 clones.
One Bubba variety, one bandaid Haze IX 3.0
Now I wait?
They are under 24 hour light right now.
Gonna wait 5 days spray again and move into 12/12. Wait 5 more days and final spray? That's the plan anyways.
Side note. I used the anhydrous version of thiosulfate.
And based on my caveman calculations I think my ratio landed around 1:8 on accident. Not intentionally straying from the directions...
I am far from a chemist, but I sure had fun pretending to be a scientist for 30 minutes.
Anywho. Cheers and I will post a picture if I see anything masculine pop up.

From everything I've read, that should be it for what you need as far as spraying, and too much can inhibit the eventual viable pollen production. Looking forward to your photos!

I'm waiting to see if my pollen worked, and I get any C99 fem seeds, now.

I'm going to make STS, what do you use as surfactant if yucca extract is not available, and how much?
Last time i used shampoo, but i had to put quite alot, and my STS was very foamy... I don't know if it's nice...
Need advice...