What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY pollination bag...

juuri

So in this breeder's laboratory most of you guys produce your own seed, so here is my Q.
Have you ever used pollination bag? To cove one plant up and keep her clean of unwanted pollen?
My deal is that i want to make fem seeds on different strain but in one location outdoors. So spray them with STS and then cover the plant up... I know that they have pollination bags listed at webstores. But person told me that its easy to DIY. So i made four of them...
What you will need:

Garden fleece
Silicone/ glue
Clear plastic

First off you need garden fleece, the thickest on i could find was 50g/1m2 it came 1,6m x 5m
So i cut 4 pieces 1,25m x 1,6
picture.php

Now i fold them together and clue it with silicone.

picture.php

Then just slip your finger over the silicon between tow layers of garden fleece to make ta tight seal.

picture.php

Now let it dry out before doing the windows.

picture.php

Then cut desirable size sheets of plastic for window.

picture.php

Now cut the hole to your garden fleece 5cm smaller then the plastic sheet.And finally clue the plastic sheets with silicone...

Thats it!

Anyone with any info about or how to use pollination bag please let me know....

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
good tute, jurri, looks like a good idea and I'll bet similar small ones could be fabricated and used indoors when wanting pollinating only one bud (or a few) and not worry about collateral damage.

juuri

good tute, jurri, looks like a good idea and I'll bet similar small ones could be fabricated and used indoors when wanting pollinating only one bud (or a few) and not worry about collateral damage.

The guy who gave me the idea used smaller ones indoors witch great success... But i would like to know has anyone used them outdoor...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
juuri, I do not know what garden fleece is but the more I think about this, I have to ask and again, I grow indoors but think allot about how you guys do it outside with bugs and weather/rain. this bag will, for the most, keep out flying bugs but could keep crawling ones in ?? Idono. if the fleece is dense enough to keep out pollen, will it let enough air in and out??? even if it is wet?? I'd also think about mold.. again, do not know about garden fleece.. I could be way off base... this plant in the bag is cannabis plant, yes? am I missing some characteristic of it being just a seed producing plant? still goes thru full bloom.

juuri

juuri, I do not know what garden fleece is but the more I think about this, I have to ask and again, I grow indoors but think allot about how you guys do it outside with bugs and weather/rain. this bag will, for the most, keep out flying bugs but could keep crawling ones in ?? Idono. if the fleece is dense enough to keep out pollen, will it let enough air in and out??? even if it is wet?? I'd also think about mold.. again, do not know about garden fleece.. I could be way off base... this plant in the bag is cannabis plant, yes? am I missing some characteristic of it being just a seed producing plant? still goes thru full bloom.

Garden fleece is mostly used to cover the plants from cold weather...
And this material lets light in, breaths , and some water can go through it.And its ment for outdoors. But pollen can't go trough.
Idea is like this--->
When i see first signs of flowering i spray the plant with STS and after 5-7 days ill spray again and then cover it up with this bag. So the whole plant will be inside of the bag except lower part of the stem and i will tighten the bag to the stem with a zip-tie so no pollen could drop out of the bag...

I hope you get the idea, but i will say it again I HAVE NEVER USED THEM BEFORE! But i will try and you can see my success for failure here...

Juuri.

juuri

Wiki
Horticultural fleece is a thin, unwoven, polypropylene fabric that is used as a floating mulch to protect both early and late crops and other delicate plants from cold weather and frost, as well as insect pests during the normal growing season. It admits light, air and rain but creates a microclimate around the developing plants, allowing them to grow faster than unprotected crops.[1]

vostok

Veteran
Wiki
Horticultural fleece is a thin, unwoven, polypropylene fabric that is used as a floating mulch to protect both early and late crops and other delicate plants from cold weather and frost, as well as insect pests during the normal growing season. It admits light, air and rain but creates a microclimate around the developing plants, allowing them to grow faster than unprotected crops.[1]

Also makes excellent DIY smart pots ...get your girl to whip some up 3-5 usgallon, make them 2 layers thick ...and save a bundle

juuri

Also makes excellent DIY smart pots ...get your girl to whip some up 3-5 usgallon, make them 2 layers thick ...and save a bundle

Yeah, i've seen them, but never used them. I'm more of a stealthy guerilla person.. few trees here and there.. So no pots for me..:p

juuri

I will update this thread in August-September when my girls will start flowering...
Lets hope for the best!

juuri

Howdy fellow growers!

So i went out today to apply STS and to reverse on female autoflower plant...
I did apply strong STS solution with brush to the stem and on the branches...
2 females in the bag only one got STS...
enough of this blablabla...
PICS..
picture.php

Zip-tied them at the base of the stems...
picture.php

And the overall look...
picture.php

That's it.. I will go and apply STS once more in 4-5 days...

Juuri.

Charles-scott

Veteran
Is this a Auto you are Spraying with STS ? unless you have a sharp reduction in Photo period with regular photo plants the STS will not work well you might end up with a plant that will throw some male flowers but it will not fully reverse .
That looks like a very Large Auto we find that with Auto's we have to spray starting at the 5th set up leaves or we end up just getting limited male flowers or just very late reversals interesting thread I am watching
We were able to do full reversal outdoors in Mex but the winter Photo period was 11 /13 .
I have to place my STS treated plants under smaller hoops and force them to produce pollen .
Charles

juuri

Is this a Auto you are Spraying with STS ? unless you have a sharp reduction in Photo period with regular photo plants the STS will not work well you might end up with a plant that will throw some male flowers but it will not fully reverse .
That looks like a very Large Auto we find that with Auto's we have to spray starting at the 5th set up leaves or we end up just getting limited male flowers or just very late reversals interesting thread I am watching
We were able to do full reversal outdoors in Mex but the winter Photo period was 11 /13 .
I have to place my STS treated plants under smaller hoops and force them to produce pollen .
Charles

Yes, it's dieselryder based auto plant breed in far north on 65N latitude... ;) And i don't need full reversal, only enough viable pollen to pollinate the other female... And i hope to get around 200-300 fem seeds...
I will apply STS once more and then i will go and shake the bag after 2-3 weeks, cuz there is no wind in there to get pollen flying.. :D

Sibbeli

the windows probably is for the abiility to check on progress of pollination.

juuri: What ODH strain is it that you are selfing? splendid genetics those strains ODH has bred, Im using them too this year and following years for my breeding efforts.

Latest posts

Latest posts