What's new

DIY LED red/white

S

sm0k4

I agree Og. If it weren't for scraps I can usually get this is what I would do. I think I might wind up doing it since I need a lot of material.

Get a 4'x8' sheet of 1/16" aluminum. Cut your base plate, then cut out 1" wide strips the length you need them, then use a flat bar to make the bend. Bolt the angles onto the flats and you have a heat sink.

Knowing a metalworker or someone with access to a bender or flat bar will make the job easy.

SupraSPL

Thanks for the link. Metal bt the inch claims their best value is 24"X48" precut sheets of .06" aluminum which ends up costing $0.29 per watt (not including the surface area lost in the bends, bolts and not including shipping). The next cheapest option is the customhydronutrients 2" profile which is $0.58 per watt (not including shipping).

So on a large scale or for custom shapes the sheet aluminum could save some cost if you were willing and able to cut the strips and to ensure thermal transfer where they meet.

S

sm0k4

Thanks for the link. Metal bt the inch claims their best value is 24"X48" precut sheets of .06" aluminum which ends up costing $0.29 per watt (not including the surface area lost in the bends, bolts and not including shipping). The next cheapest option is the customhydronutrients 2" profile which is $0.58 per watt (not including shipping).

So on a large scale or for custom shapes the sheet aluminum could save some cost if you were willing and able to cut the strips and to ensure thermal transfer where they meet.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't half ass it so your metal gets bent to hell. You need all surfaces smooth and making contact as flat and even as possible for best thermal transfer.

Voidling

I've dealt with bending metal for aircraft molds. I'll see what I can find in town because it's shipping cost that eats up the money. At custom hydro it was $20 for shipping on 20 inches plus the leds. Shipping cost as much as the metal itself.