What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diy ez cheap water pump ideas

mountainoutlaw

Been a while since i had use one,
All i remember is water houses..some type of pump that hooked to a little battery.

Trying pump water to resovoir out of shallow mtn stream...have dig hole in stream so i will have a little pool deep enough .
20230606_100228.jpg

40degsouth

Hey Mountainoutlaw,
What about a bucket, with a lid, with a hole cut into the lid, the same diameter as your outflow pipe, cut slots into it, wrap it with geotech fabric, bury it in the stream, push pipe into the hole and bury the hose to a suitable location for your pump.
Make sure your pump has the correct “head hight” for your location. A self priming pump, such as a diaphragm, deck wash/bilge pump is really ideal for 12/24 volt large volume gpm.
Hopefully this helps you out a bit.
Cheers,

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the advice, 40degreesSouth! Would be really nice. But it has to be discrete electric would be good. I have a creek nearby just a couple hundred feet away or less down a steep creek bank so water would have to be pumped up with something strong. There are sump pumps.. Would be nice to have a moderate flow rate to be able to water with it.

Its dry here right now, will look into it! :smoke:

Last edited:

Ca++

A couple of hundred feet of steep bank?

Hang about, did you just swap user accounts, and like your own post?

I'm too confused to answer now.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not exactly sure what you mean. But yes, its a steep bank but only about 50-100 ft tall and then a relatively short distance maybe another 50 to 100 ft so it could be only about 100-150ft needed.

Would beat hauling water jugs up a hill!

full

mountainoutlaw

Sweet plot dude! Last time i used a pump from stream, dude had it some how rigged up with a bilge pump to a small battery and i csnt remember size hose, but it was all up hill long ways and hed fill a 125 gal rez in noctime.

Heres my prob. ...this small stream does flow, but it usually stays around 1-2 inch deep. Reckon ill have dig me a hole for more depth..

Pipeline, what all did you do tocprepare that plot...soil wise

mountainoutlaw

I also seen these but dont knkw how they hold up or how efficient they are...
56847_W9.jpg

Riggt now im using this...but i gotta get water a bit faster very soon...ive spread my self thin.
20230521_151813.jpg

Ca++

I ran a 12v RV pump off my drill battery. 30 meter hose, and had no complaints. I would use about 200L over that plot, and the battery should of done double that.

The question of 'how high' is everything.

40degsouth

Mountainoutlaw, if you bury a 4-5 gallon bucket and wrap it with some sort of fabric, it will fill automatically with no flotsam and jetsam, to block your pipe or pump, when you’re up the hill. As long as the water flow, into the bucket, can keep up to the pump you’ve got no foreseeable problems.
As Ca++ and l have both eluded, the head height will be your problem, this means how high the pump will pump water vertically, or straight up 👍 Maybe two “inline” pumps might be needed, such as a bilge pump at the bottom and your drill run pump at the top; it’s difficult to say.
Hey Pipeline, these pumps are the quietest ones l could find and are relatively silent running, once the water comes through. One silly thing I’ve done is to hook up a 24v pump to one battery, l took it back to the shop, because it didn’t work (of course) , only to then understand my mistake.
I actually put Schrews onto these and I’m pretty sure he’s using them now. A 4 gallon per minute (gpm) bilge pump will hit the top of a 15 foot plant 😉😉