What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Ebb and Flow $50! Instructions step by step

Ligyron

. . . i think i maybe liking thelong clearteays but the home depot tubs look much more sturdy.. hmm... ill figure her out thanks again to all..:tiphat:

I agonized over that choise myself.

The clear under-bed tote cum flood trays are made by several different manufactuers and come in various sizes and degrees of quality.

The biggest ones have a larger footprint than any available tub which, of course, means more plants, but then they also have attached wheels, integrated wheel-wells and a clear top -- none of which I felt comfortable with in a hydro situation.

The shorter sides on all available underbeds also meant the depth of flood would be shallower than that possible using the taller tubs and made me seriously doubt I could safely reach the flood level I'm looking for relative to strain and pot size should I choose to use them.

There again, by using smaller 4inch pots and a Billyclub shaped indica -- those underbed weed trays just might make a fabulous SOG for all I know.

Still, they are clear and do seem rather flimsy compared to the black, light-proof cement tubs I ended up buying from the DePot. Even found a cheap shelf unit for a table and a 27 gal reservoir that seems to fit underneith OK.

No, I still haven't put it together to send pics of yet . . . but I will.

Nevertheless, just look at the sucessful set-ups people like Rolling Bones put together using clear underbeds and check out the amazing results Tr33 got.

Proberry, it's all good . . .

KUSHEATER1

yeah that was a very nice run but I had a hermi 707 headband in there that shot pollen everywhere in the tent bubba X 707 headband seeds...

Webster10

So what I got from reading the comments was that one shouldn't use the drainage method described in the OP, but actually buy E&F drainage fittings and use those? Or use the same things OP used but place them at one side instead of the middle and raise one side of the table? And also use the tub from home depot instead of the one from lowe's. I noticed the lowe's tub is 26" x 20" and the home depot tub is 27.6" x 20". Any changes I'd have to make in cutting the PVC to accomadate?

Webster10

Also do you just sit the pots down on the surface of the tub? Or is there a few layers of hydroton between the surface of the tub and the bottom of the pots?

BudBongJovi

Also do you just sit the pots down on the surface of the tub? Or is there a few layers of hydroton between the surface of the tub and the bottom of the pots?

I think that'd be totally dependent on how tall your pots were, but a medium underneath the pots would be a good idea considering it would allow for better drainage through the bottom. If the bottom of the pot was touching the tub, it'd be harder to drain imo.

L

larry badiner

you can buy the pvc and the concrete mixing tub on www.homedepot.com (search for concrete tub in the search). and most tools

the shipping is free for a lot of products, including heavy stuff like air conditioners. i ordered a 5k btu window ac for about 150$, it was here in good condition within 3 days

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My DIY F & D

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

JokerBudz

This is very similar to how I set mine up except I drain my tubs into the reservoir on the bottom. Also I took the tops off the smaller tubs and filled with hydroton. It's kind of crazy that I literally saw this post 13 years ago, got out of the game for awhile and now I'm back looking at the same great content. Ebb and flow is my favorite hydroponic growing technique!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Originally I was using a shallow starter method, but this meant the net pots and starter cube were exposed to the light- no bueno for side root development

Here's my newest DIY starter seedlings technique based on my DIY cloner (see second to last pic next to the shallow water starter at the bottom). I use the same size net pots so that when it's time to transfer into my F & D it's a straight drop in: not transfer shock

The good news is it saves a lot of nutrient for the small grower. One of my air pumps is a 4 head, so one can start 4 plants with one pump. SWEET

Its grown another couple inches since the tallest pic 2 days ago

Alas, this plant is a damn hermi. Anybody know what percent of hermi seeds will be female?

IMG_4964.jpg IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_4982.jpg IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg IMG_4964.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts