What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY and other hydroponic formulas.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Can you translate? What is an organic core? How much of what? I am interested as I am using a mix that is mostly soiless, yet I add compost and a bit of peat to it, making it soil.. is this similar to what you are describing?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Can you translate? What is an organic core? How much of what? I am interested as I am using a mix that is mostly soiless, yet I add compost and a bit of peat to it, making it soil.. is this similar to what you are describing?

Yes I use organic soil with "pure water only" for the first 30 to 40 days. Then put the organic core with a plant in the soil-less mix and feed water to the outer edge of the container leaving the inner core dry. When I transplant the plants into soil-less, I switch to low ppm nutrient feed with every watering. 😎.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When I add different types of finely screened clay to the organic core, I have a higher cation nutrient exchange. 😎

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Sweet, man! Is there a thread I can follow? Sounds like a great system you got there!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm still working out the details on the differences with EC between the different aggregates. Cation exchange capacity is usually measured in soil testing labs. Since I don't have the testing resources, I have to use the plants' growth as a gauge for testing. It's slow work but fast growth. Here are a couple of photos of plants I'm working with now. I start the seeds in the organic core and keep them there until I can sex them and that part is slow. Only pure water at the first stage. Then I up-pot the core into a soil-less mix big enough to flower in. The larger plants are only 7 days after transplant. The plants are 37 days old from sprout today and ready to flip to 12/12! That's when shit really hits the fan exploziv when I start feeding the plants and going into flowering.. Just one 200 ppm feeding at this point. 😎

Attachments

• photo2072885.jpg
    photo2072885.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2072886.jpg
    photo2072886.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 44

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Looks great, man! Ang I mean really nice system you got there! Only thing i see that might be wrong is that floor space is not well utilised. You could fit more plants that size in there. Am I wrong?
Anyway, if you ever start a thread tag me in there, or pm me a link. Thank you!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Your welcome. Its a six by five ft area. The first photo is missing the males when I took the photo, I had 22 plants total. This room will be full in 7 to 14 days. I will have to remove more plants due to space limitations soon. ! I've almost got all the kinks out and will do a thread in the near future. I may post a few upcoming photos here just to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Thank you for your interest.😎

Attachments

• photo2069661.jpg
    photo2069661.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 35

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's today live......, I can add an object to the photos if you want to check me. Lighter, pencil, key for honesty. 😎

Attachments

• photo2074440.jpg
    photo2074440.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 35
  • photo2074441.jpg
    photo2074441.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 33

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm old-fashioned and love GH too, but still like to learn new methods for growing. I'm amazed at what people can do in the indoor horticulture world today. Not to mention the greenhouse growers' techniques, light deprivation, acid injection systems, controlled photoperiods. There are so many substrate systems today, it's just unbelievable. However, it all comes down to 18 essential elements and their delivery system. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's today..... these plants are only getting 160 ppm of fertilizer because of the boosting of Cation Exchange Capacity. 😎

Attachments

• photo2074787.jpg
    photo2074787.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 35
  • photo2074788.jpg
    photo2074788.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 34
  • photo2074789.jpg
    photo2074789.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 36

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's today, I had to band 3 of the plants to keep the canopy height equal. I bend them slowly over a week or two and when the other plants start to outgrow them I release them. 😎

Attachments

• photo2075368.jpg
    photo2075368.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 34
  • photo2075369.jpg
    photo2075369.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 33
  • photo2075370.jpg
    photo2075370.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 35

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Ok here's is a 12-day spread before and after... Using an organic core in the center and feeding the outer soil-less can boost the Cation Exchange up to 200%. This is a nutrient-feed method using Hydroponic fertilizer. I'm using a 3 part GH flora series and feeding only 169 ppm or 0.3 EC with every watering. If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to answer them if I can. 😎

Attachments

• photo2076101.jpg
    photo2076101.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2076102.jpg
    photo2076102.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 38
  • photo2076103.jpg
    photo2076103.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2076104.jpg
    photo2076104.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 39

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Ok here's is a 12-day spread before and after... Using an organic core in the center and feeding the outer soil-less can boost the Cation Exchange up to 200%. This is a nutrient-feed method using Hydroponic fertilizer. I'm using a 3 part GH flora series and feeding only 169 ppm or 0.3 EC with every watering. If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to answer them if I can. 😎

Its good to put minimum nutirents in soil while giving them every watering some food. give some pure RO once a week for flushing a bit...they look healthy.:good:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You make a good point CANNA and most people would do that to avoid excess salt build-up. Here's the key to using this method, I keep the cation intake available with every watering at a low ppm. The organic root mass core has a negative charge and acts as a magnet, so it's important at this point to have fresh new cations there with every watering. The plants are going into flowering and the low dose ppms will make the nutrient transition much easier too. I allow run-off with every watering for fresh nutrients and oxygen in the roots and get an EC and pH reading. Thanks for the importaint tip CANNA😎

Latest posts

Latest posts