What's new

DIY Aero Cloner the EZ-Cloner Replica in 10 Easy Steps!

THCello

Air pumps which won't generate too much heat?
I keep fish myself, I'm guessing that common powerheads = too much heat?

And if you'd understand I'd much rather avoid shopping @ walmart.
I will if I have to, but are these anywhere else?

I spent 30$ total between Lowes and hydro store. Had most the tools and a small 120 gph statuary pump laying around.
picture.php

3 gal bucket and lid - 5.22
2 ft ½ in PVC. -1.47
1 ½in tee - .46
2 ½ in elbows - 1.02
2 ½ in plugs. - .90
1 ½ in adapter. - .37
PVC cement 3.47
Hydro store
10 neoprene discs. 5.90
10 2in net pots. 2.90
6 ez clone sprayers. 4.50
13.30$

Total $26.21

picture.php

Here's my cloning devil ten. A few adjustments to the original.more like rumples clone bucket but same idea,, Used a 3 gal bucket BC I had a 120Gph pump laying around and had to go smaller. Less PVC only 5 sprayers and ten sites
picture.php

Im not gettin as fast of results as some. Cloning snowcap and sour diesel. Used the gel on some and some not. heres after13 days..
picture.php

and 21 days..
picture.php

excellent thread man ... kicks ass

I am very interested in these fast easy cloning techiniques as i just hit a big bump in my grow and need lots of plants.so i tried a diy ghetto bubbler yesterday and gonna see the success rate of both...
picture.php

I

ItsTopShelf

if u have problems with ur cloner.. try a new pump. i used an old one i had laying around.. and what do ya know.. had some fungi or some bacteria in it .. and molded tons of clones before i figured it out.. now i just clone straight into soil .. works great.. barely any deaths.. and no transplant shock.

JesusCow

5 gallon bucket aero cloner

5 gallon bucket aero cloner

Here is my small-scale, 7-site, 5-gallon bucket iteration (and first post, yay!). I am using the 264gph pump ($24), and the replacement EZ clone 360 misters (50ct $11).

The PVC 'manifold' piece was measured to be 10" diagonal, to fit well inside the bucket. So it's about 7x7". The vertical piece is maybe 4". I fit it together without PVC cement first, and there were no leaks, but I went ahead and used the cement to be thorough (boy that stuff really grabs).

Used a 10-32 tap ($8) as recommended, and it works great. The misters threaded on, and are sealed without any additional effort. I am pleased to add tools like this to my garage, so there was no question.

There are 12 sprayers, which is maybe a little excessive (couldn't help myself). But in the end it seems good. The pressure is something I was concerned about, but it's (seemingly) just about right. Before I put on the sprayers, I just tested it with the bare holes, and the water shot up about 8-10". With the sprayers in place the coverage is full, and even. It is about 6 inches down, although the picture attached is kinda hard to judge.

I already had a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, but not any lids, so I picked up a few. I only have bigger hole-saws (4,5,6"). However, I have a 2" 'forstner' drill bit. Well, it totally destroyed the first plastic lid. Therefore, I used a rotary tool (dremel) to just grind them out, and it was tedius (and ugly). I am going to re-do the lid with a proper hole saw (bucket lids is $2). Once I re-cut the holes, I will likely seal in the net pot collars, and rely only on removing the neoprene insert to move the clones (thoughts?). That said, it does seem like they are preventing leaks, with them just resting up there. I should also mention these bucket lids seal air tight by design (eg. for storing paint), so will not leak. I had grabbed the 25ct net pot + neoprene insert combo ($20).

Lastly, I will be running the air hose, and power line (cut and re-terminate at plug) in through the side (1/2" hole), and I will probably use clear/white silicone to seal it (any other suggestions?).

This is going to be for my soil(less) application, and also trading genetics with fellow connoisseurs! I have previously not had the best luck with cloning. I would say because it is dry in my region (Colorado), but it's probably more due to the extra daily maintenance/motivation required. In the last few years I've had the most success with rockwool cubes on top of soaked/wet perlite bed, but I have, so far, grown from imported, femenized, seed-packs.

I got a mommy (Nirvana-Chrystal - shown Dec-5 and seeded Aug-19, 2012) ready to take some cuttings. The pheno is unknown though, I had a 5-pack of seeds and flowered four of them. Two of them showed a preferred pheno, and 2 were not as preferred (measuring preference by yield and vigor, as they are just now hanging). So, I am stuck crossing my fingers it is worthwhile genetics (not the end of the world though!).

I will use the ART-DNe to cycle the pump on/off, and this will be under two (blue+mixed) ~10w, and two 13w 6500K CFLs.

Thanks for the DIY discussion, and thanks for reading!

JesusCow

Post 2! I changed up the lid using one from a different big box store. It is more flimsy, but is a little more level on top, so the net pots rest in there better. It also let me fit 8 sites on there. I was thinking about sealing the net pots with hot glue around the rim or similar, but they seem to prevent leaks as they are. I also think it will be easier to lift them out by the net pot rim.

Anyways, I've tested it for leaks and trying to see what the temperature runs like. It seems pretty cold, but I haven't measured it (with a thermometer).

I also have more PVC and I am considering making a different shaped manifold (more like a T shape), and use less than 6 sprayers. I might need a lower output pump for that.

Anyways, I expect to take some cuttings in the next few days. I need to get the trial and error started!

i am doing just like this thread says. straight 6.0 water straight in the cloner. Getting nubs in 7-10 days and impressive roots after 14-17 days. look for yourself
picture.php

I have had both my cloners underneath these 2 26w CFL's they are only 5000k spectrum because thats all that lowes had but they work. Just for those who were curiou the ghetto bubbler turns out just as good as results. Just keep them cleaned every 14 days (exchange the water) and ive had like 98% success between the both.

I LOVE IT. I dont think anybody should go pay ridiculous price for an ez-cloner. Hell i put 24 sites on that little bubbler and so far roots are not getting tangled and ive lost none of them. Just my input

JesusCow

mattkilla420 - Both sets of those roots look like success to me! Did you make a decision to stick with one or the other?

Well, I put 6 cuttings in mine 5 days ago, will report back.

The temperature rose to ~76F after the pump was running for a few cycles, and it seems pretty stable after 5 days (running 15mins on / 15mins off).

However, I am having one minor issue. The bucket lid seals air-tight, and the air hose/power cord are sealed air-tight with silicone into a hole in the side of the bucket (as described in post 954).

The problem is the air being pumped in eventually has no where to go, except out the clone-sites. The pressure starts to build and the clones start to heave (physically move up, and down). It looks as if they are trying to jump out!

• I tried solving this by having one of the net pots sit at an angle, propped up letting air out, and little to no water spray. This was unreliable and unpredictable.
  • Next, I tried opening the lid just enough. This eventually failed as the lid would seal itself shut (unless you left it open enough to get sprayed in the face continuously!).
  • I also tried running the pump on the 15/15 timer, but that didn't help at all (it takes maybe 3-5 minutes before it is under pressure).
  • Now, I have inserted a net pot (untrimmed) into an open clone-site, and I dropped a rockwool cube in there (fits well but not tight). This is allowing air to escape, and blocking the spray entirely. A solution for now.

I am using a small "up to 10 gal" air pump, with a small air stone.

Anyone suggestions, comments, or experience on air pressure being an issue?

I've used a 5 gal bucket cloner for a couple of years now, with great success. I'm not sure about air pressure build up. I always thought that the water spraying caused sufficient oxygenization (sp?) so as to not need an air pump. I usually get roots showing in 8-10 days. Try a run w/o an airpump.

JesusCow

Success! I am very happy with the results. It seems for me the most important benefit is the very low maintenance. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Here are 2 specimens growing roots shown at 16 days. Once they started showing nubs, roots followed within 1-3 days.

Dosing the water would likely speed things up overall (clonex or rhizotonic are the things I've considered), but I am not usually in a hurry. I also don't want to have to work hard (or use chemicals) to clean it out.

Old time lurker - Thanks for the advice, I hadn't considered it.:tiphat: I would be afraid they would suffocate, or get too warm. I might give it a shot and see how it goes.

Gruetoo

Great thread. After going thru all 65 pages good to see the concept is solid and still in use. I am unsure as to which method I will use (Aeroponic fogger or this one.) Either way tons of great info, and things to watch out for. My 2c on those 5 gallon versions is that you need to add a vent. Go to the big box store get a 1/2 in coupling to attach on both sides of the top. Then add a section of pvc pipe to allow the opening to be above the top. I dont think more than 2 or 3 inches will be needed. This will allow for fresh air to enter and allow for heat to escape.

Gruetoo :plant grow:

smrk

Europe has a problem.

Can't find hydrostore in eu that holds misters/sprajers.(help)
Our "wallmart's" don't hold misters...or at least i haven't found them.
where can i find them onnline?

only hydrostores hold misters, sprayers?

St3ve

Europe has a problem.

Can't find hydrostore in eu that holds misters/sprajers.(help)
Our "wallmart's" don't hold misters...or at least i haven't found them.
where can i find them onnline?

only hydrostores hold misters, sprayers?

You can find some at something like a Home Depot ie hardware store where you'd buy lumber and cabinets and gardening supplies.

That said, in the meantime just just a bubbler. :)

St3ve

mattkilla420 - Both sets of those roots look like success to me! Did you make a decision to stick with one or the other?

Well, I put 6 cuttings in mine 5 days ago, will report back.

The temperature rose to ~76F after the pump was running for a few cycles, and it seems pretty stable after 5 days (running 15mins on / 15mins off).

However, I am having one minor issue. The bucket lid seals air-tight, and the air hose/power cord are sealed air-tight with silicone into a hole in the side of the bucket (as described in post 954).

The problem is the air being pumped in eventually has no where to go, except out the clone-sites. The pressure starts to build and the clones start to heave (physically move up, and down). It looks as if they are trying to jump out!

• I tried solving this by having one of the net pots sit at an angle, propped up letting air out, and little to no water spray. This was unreliable and unpredictable.
  • Next, I tried opening the lid just enough. This eventually failed as the lid would seal itself shut (unless you left it open enough to get sprayed in the face continuously!).
  • I also tried running the pump on the 15/15 timer, but that didn't help at all (it takes maybe 3-5 minutes before it is under pressure).
  • Now, I have inserted a net pot (untrimmed) into an open clone-site, and I dropped a rockwool cube in there (fits well but not tight). This is allowing air to escape, and blocking the spray entirely. A solution for now.

I am using a small "up to 10 gal" air pump, with a small air stone.

Anyone suggestions, comments, or experience on air pressure being an issue?

I usually just leave some room near where my wires are going in.

St3ve

honestly man bubble cloner is way easier! the main thing i like is you can watch root progress. ill put some pics up tomorrow.

I could see that for sure. I use the spray head but also like the idea of easy. So how much of the stem to do you have down in the water exactly? Do teh stems ever get rotted or squishy?

Pseudo

just do it
Veteran
bubble cloners are marginal at best, for me anyway, when i was starting out cloning i tried everything, most methods would work for a while, but eventually problems, which throws off whole cycle, i eventually built an aerocloner from a 10 gallon aquarium and thru trial and error modded it to its current state, my solution for the air pressure build up was to add a 1.5" pvc "snorkel" which also works great to run your wires/hose thru as it takes all the stress off the edge of the lid, the solution for squishy stems was to add EWC in a stocking, now i get 99% success,

Latest posts

Latest posts