What's new

DIY 100w Simple Stealth LED light

Dion

just a little tip from a guy who builds leds, solder first then attach the chip. if you are able to heat the contact enough to solder the wires after you have attached your heat sink isnt working and your cob will most likely melt very very soon.

so solder the wiring then attach the chip, grease is best(little as possible) pads are second-pay for the good ones with cobs you need the best

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Much thanks, Dion. Totally makes sense and this also explain why it took so long to heat up! My heatsink was working against my soldering iron.

I am still rocking this single cob light and it grows enough weed for my needs. I have yet to run it past 60-70%. Plants show light burn at 8 inches or so even at that reduced power. One day I'll find out the wattage.

Dion

Much thanks, Dion. Totally makes sense and this also explain why it took so long to heat up! My heatsink was working against my soldering iron.

I am still rocking this single cob light and it grows enough weed for my needs. I have yet to run it past 60-70%. Plants show light burn at 8 inches or so even at that reduced power. One day I'll find out the wattage.

very welcome. you will notice that a lot of diy forums will suggest tinning (putting a spot of solder on the contact) before attaching the chips to the sink, this is fine, but imho pretty hafl arsed.

especially seen as we are using massive passive heat sinks(if not you should be lol) as i said before if you are actually able to make a connection u shoudl be concerned.

:)

Dion

watts= v x amps (cree has a handy tool to see the voltage at certian amps)

so for example

you are using a cxa 3070 with a meanwell cen 100-42

the driver pushes 0-2.28amps at 90% efficency

so at 1amp the cob is pulling 36.07fv x 1= 36volts (aprox, the driver is 90ish % effecient blah blah blah etc wires maths whatver)

at 1.5amp cob=3774fv x 1.5=56.61/ 56v (agian driver being 90% its prob closer to 51 w)

you get the point

your cobs at 75% of driver capacity means 1.71 amps

so cob is 38.37fv(at 1.7amps for easy maths) x 1.7= 65.229w x 90%(driver effeciency) = 58.7061w
hell lets call it 59w and have a bong shall we?

Latest posts

Latest posts