What's new

Dixon 200 Sanitary Clamps

FishmanK

the clamps are pretty solid and many have been shipped loose together in a box to me (much to my consternation) and seem to be fine from this ordeal.
In some ways it seems mechanically one might get a better control to torque without a lockwasher, but this is personal reaction with no basis in science

I kind of thought to only open my system at specific points/joints for specific steps in process...

FishmanK

LOL! "Nylon INSERT" Im not even goin into how much I am not going to try to use a nylon nut...

s-l1600.jpg

xbonger

Do you even realize that the thread of the nut isn't nylon don't you? The nylon is just at the very top to prevent the nut from backing out. Almost every race car I've ever worked on uses Grade 8 nylock nuts.

For the record, you should still use a washer under the nut, be it a lock washer or plain flat washer, to prevent galling.

FishmanK

so that link I posted was not one I had been looking at and that was a mistake as it is not even for high pressure clamps

yesterday I received another clamp in the mail

it has an emblem like a "V" on it and says "800" inside the cusp of the clamp

it does not seat correctly and appears to be for a 232mm-flange clamp and not a 218mm-flange/ferrule clamp...

what is this other fomat
is it European? or?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And can someone else weigh in on if grade 5 nuts could or should not be used, please

The issue is the stainless bolts and galling. The reason for the silicon bronze nuts, is that they are over 100,000 at ultimate tensile, and are self lubricating.

To approach that kind of tensile strength in a steel bolt, would require high alloy steel, with the proper heat treat and some sort of lubrication. Mild steel is only around 60,000 psi tensile.

Using lubrication changes all the torque values, so the old ones are out the window.

Nylok nuts would be a waste of time, as vibration loosening of the nuts is not an issue, while proper torque is.

FishmanK

Thank You!

Still Having an Iuuse with this 8" clamp
seller says he does have flanged fittings from this liquidated pharm/chem industrial site that are 218mm flagnges and not 232mm flanges
and the gasket that was in with the clamp is perfect and fits (unlike the second return just now to affordable distilling)
but there is slop when one puts just one half of the clamp into place
and when I torque this it starts to have the two halves meet before there is sufficient torque
I think im having an issue with either 232mm clamps or just what Old Gold was mentioning about parts variations
Its almost like these are a correct diameter but the flanges arent quite thick enough (even with 8" PTFE gasket) to get this to seat correctly

FishmanK

I found (of course), on-line, this interesting box of (100) 3/8" silicone bronze lockwashers...
why are the ones we use stainless?
cost vs function like all else?