What's new

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

nickman

Veteran
I’ve always wanted to try using a screen on top the canopy... just the way I’m set up I won’t be able to get under them to water...

In Scrappy’s thread I see him doing individual scrog’s over each bucket... that how I’d have to do it... I really gotta just do it one of these runs...!!!...

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I’ve been pinching the tops of a few plants I have in veg recently And it’s just amazing how fast those tops bend right back up to the light...

Shit, one of the plants looks like it has steps the way I supercropped it...

I really like doing it because I end up with more main colas on that branch...

I’ve found if you pull the branch’s as far as you can without snapping it off, then stack it and tie it to the stake...then all those little side shoots stand up and try to become main tops as well ...!!!... Just something I like to do...

I do this sometimes. Especially if I take one outside to bloom, I will plant it laying on the ground on it side. I Pin it down in several spots because it will want to straighten back skywards. Then we have lots of "tops"

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys are basically describing LST - low stress training - ie plant bondage.
Brown-chicken-brown-cow.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Med Tree Seeds - Suzy Q Bx2

picture.php

ABF Seeds - Cobalt Haze

picture.php

15 days in. So far so good. They only drank about 3 gallons of water for a week. Now they are getting about 5 gallons every 3 days. Things are going to stack! It's certainly going to get interesting! :woohoo:

Side note - the Cobalt Haze in the back, the more sativa leaning plant, is the first to start producing resin. It's faint, but it has begun.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ouch. I just cut away about 20% of the more sativa Cobalt.

I wanted stare at the resin and saw a nut sack. Then I got to looking. All in all, it seems like a low light issue. Budsites in the lower canopy are all tossing balls.

Now, before anyone goes off the deep end. It happens. I'm not culling the plant yet. The tops of the plant look perfectly fine. The finer/thinner branches with just a fuzz of developing budsites, are all gone. All in all, it might have been a potential 1/2 -3/4oz trimmed away. I went up the stems to where I saw no more balls, and then took one more internode / flower site off.

Not ideal and I'll be paranoid now - but, this is a grower error. The strains are developed in high wattage scenarios, and I let the plant get out of her prime zone under a 315. I've pulled balls of plants in early flower before, when from a young seed plant, and never had an issue with it ever again on the same plant. This isn't something I view as uncommon when sorting SSH crosses - much the same like Chem / Sour crosses.

It's full steam ahead. The other Cobalt seems completely unaffected and is flowering normally. I'll just keep a closer eye on things. Glad I caught it when I did. No pollen has dropped. No harm, no foul.

On a better note - the plant smells almost 100% like old deet based mosquito spray, but with a slight hint of berry. Not a smell I've ever gotten out of a cannabis plant before.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
Deet with a hint of berry you say? Hahah count me in, that’s gnarly! The amount of deet that’s been absorbed into my body.. good lord!

Ya I hear you on the lower site balls, honestly, I kinda always expect the lowers of new seed plants to act funny if they don’t get cleaned up, for just the reasons you mentioned - always figured it was a low light situation.

Have you thought about adding 20w LED strip lighting under the canopy? I added it above my canopy / & under my shelves, and I honestly can’t believe how nicely it’s finishing the flowers that aren’t getting enough HID lighting!

:tiphat:

Looks super healthy in here good sir

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Have you thought about adding 20w LED strip lighting under the canopy? I added it above my canopy / & under my shelves, and I honestly can’t believe how nicely it’s finishing the flowers that aren’t getting enough HID lighting!

I have been thinking a lot about using side/under lighting lately.

Goats

some DIY strip LEDs would probably be good for side lighting. plants can get really close to them without burning.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the easier and cheaper plan would be to grow plants appropriately sized for the situation they are in!!! LOL

But you are right. LED side lighting opens up a world of possibilities and it's something I've not even remotely considered. I'm hoping when the lights come on this evening I don't see a new round of angry nuts from stressing the plant due to cutting away so much growth.

dank.Frank

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
Check out my thread a few pages back, you’ll see the post about the $10 LEDs I found on Amachron — you can select between 3 different color temps (1 led, but switchable), I love them so much, I bought up a few extra 10packs just to keep in storage!

nickman

Veteran
Check out my thread a few pages back, you’ll see the post about the $10 LEDs I found on Amachron — you can select between 3 different color temps (1 led, but switchable), I love them so much, I bought up a few extra 10packs just to keep in storage!

I saw your thread and I like what you did... those LEDs probably put off no heat at all I bet...!!!...

I use 2 four foot long eight bulb T5s for vegging and I need to get new bulbs for it... I was thinking about getting some of those LEDs as replacements...!!!...
I think I can even get replacement LEDs that fit right into the T5 fixture instead of buying new T5 bulbs...
it cost around $150.00 for 16 new T5 bulbs...

LostTribe

Premium user
I've super-cropped. The more Cookie-esque SSHx was really getting much too leggy. It's found apical dominance in one branch and that one had grown at least 14" in the last 3 days. No joke. It had at out grown the surrounding canopy by at least 8".

Doing the fold just lowered the necessary tops 13". Better now than later. I just couldn't bring myself to cut them. I spoke with F.A.M. about it last night and after careful consideration put the scissors back in the drawer.

My fear is though, with the vigor they displayed when they were super cropped the first time, they will just knuckle up and straighten out again, albeit, that was in veg with different hormones kicking around and under far less intense lighting.

The most logical way to prevent that would be to set a screen in place now. I'm going to need something for flower support anyway.

I think in part the stretch is so uncontrollable because there are only 3 plants spreading roots in nearly 60 gallons of soil...LOL. So, yeah, there is that to keep in mind.

View Image

dank.Frank

If it has sativa influence I always bend them over. They perk right up and keep on truckin! The OTH in my album was bent a few times to get it done. You can drill holes in the top edge of whatever container you are using and tie them down too never had problems with the bending though maybe tying would assist with faster finish with less stress recovery.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Nickman - I want lights like Lapides has built to replace my current veg system. When I'm ready to make another investment in the room, that's where it'll be.

There are situations where fluro is fine, but going from fluro to HID of any kind, even CMH, creates limitations in the production / quality of the plants. Going from even 400w MH to 1k's makes a huge difference. I spoke about this earlier in the thread. Just much more robust plants.

This is still just the adjustment phase. I have a lot to learn about how to make the current setup perform. 8 plants in flower, vegged in place, SCROG style, double screen - once the right plant is found. Until then, it's going to be a bit awkward and mistakes will be made and learned from.

Ideally though, I find a veg set up that allows me to transplant and flip with no extended flower room veg time in between to compensate. I trust Lap and he's never led me wrong when it comes to the bottom line being more important than the bull sh.. So, I have it on good faith a LED rig in a similar fashion, will be the right tool.

dank.Frank

nickman

Veteran
@Nickman - I want lights like Lapides has built to replace my current veg system. When I'm ready to make another investment in the room, that's where it'll be.

There are situations where fluro is fine, but going from fluro to HID of any kind, even CMH, creates limitations in the production / quality of the plants. Going from even 400w MH to 1k's makes a huge difference. I spoke about this earlier in the thread. Just much more robust plants.

This is still just the adjustment phase. I have a lot to learn about how to make the current setup perform. 8 plants in flower, vegged in place, SCROG style, double screen - once the right plant is found. Until then, it's going to be a bit awkward and mistakes will be made and learned from.

Ideally though, I find a veg set up that allows me to transplant and flip with no extended flower room veg time in between to compensate. I trust Lap and he's never led me wrong when it comes to the bottom line being more important than the bull sh.. So, I have it on good faith a LED rig in a similar fashion, will be the right tool.

dank.Frank

Yeah, I really like his LED setup...!!!... I really feel that that’s the way home growing is heading towards... low heat systems like that...

About vegging under T5s, I’d much rather veg under a 1000 watt... when I have in the past the plants get so much bigger then when vegging under T5... like u said”more robust plants”...!!!...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Cobalt Haze (#2) identified as looking more like the SSH mother, which I stated was a blue dream influenced plant, is going to be the stand out of the two. It's putting on some impressive early resin. Even though it's has fairly thin leaves at the tops of the plant, I expect it won't take longer than 10wks to finish.

Cobalts are peaking about 55" tall. Not too shabby at all. Tops are about 10-11" from the light on the Cobalt side and it doesn't seem to be bothering them. I have another 5-6" I can raise them still if I need to. I'll likely do so no matter what past wk5 to allow for cooler canopy temps and better resin development. I want to keep them as compact as possible for now though, especially if having them close isn't hurting anything.

I'm already planning for round 2 in flower to be nothing but Cobalt #2, based on performance thus far. I'm not picky at the moment. Just need a good frosty lady that will produce to fill the room with. It's looking like she will fit the bill. 4 clones in veg, topped already. Those tops all rooting. Hopefully, we can get 6-8 plants of relatively the same size ready to go into flower by the time this round finishes.

Never hurts to have a game plan.

Things are healthy at 3wks in. It start getting interesting soon. Flowers are forming. Waiting is the hardest part at times.

picture.php

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Always Be Flowering - Cobalt Haze #2 - 23 days - she's going to be a looker when mature.

picture.php

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Latest posts