What's new

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tokerzdream - Yield is not the result of a single factor. It's the result of getting everything right and good genetics. I'd not say that a single soil mix is going to "yield" better than another - in terms of a use one over the other sort of construct.

The more you drive the plant, the more nutrition you are going to need and use. Higher lighting intensity, sealed room with C02, etc - you can't benefit from those environmental metrics if you aren't feeding the plant to capitalize on the refinement. In ANY organic soil mix - it is not coming down to nutrient content or density for a lack of a better term - but rather soil volume. If a mix works - make sure you are putting the proper sized plant into the proper sized containers and you won't end up chasing top feeding all cycle trying to get it right.

The Phillthy mix worked well. Many folks still use it to this day without issue. I've encouraged them to try the current recipe but that is up to them. It's a bit harder to source all the amendments for the full NPK mix. I'm working on a solution for that though. Sooner than later.

Cannabis by nature, PREFERS a more airy soil mix. It likes wet to dry cycling in the root zone. Stalls hard being over or under watered. An airy mix requires more attention by default as it is going to dry out faster.

I always preferred a slightly heavier soil mix than Phillthy did. It's just personal preference, ultimately.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Tokerzdream

DankFrank the main thing i wanted to ask was im here in northernireland and i cannot get most of the ammendments,it would be nice and a pleasure for you to make a soil recipe for us on this side of the pond with the same npk as your normal blend.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tokerzdream - it varies - even per plant of the same type based on individual clone health. Could be something like 1.5oz on something like Bubba Kush to over 4 on something like GG4. Yield is pretty irrelevant to what you like to smoke personally. It can be hit or miss. Traditionally it has seemed, the better the smoke, the lower the yield. That's been improving though.

dank.Frank

Tokerzdream

DankFrank yes i find the low yielding strains to be more flavourful aswell. Have you seen or come across the exotics strains like zoap,rs11,bluenerdz and bluezushie. People are going mad over them, but i have tried a few and they are really flavourful. My favorite is lemon cherrie gelato from cannatique farms. Do you think these guys grow it organic thats why they so flavourful?? I cannot believe how flvoursome the smoke is on some of them,and i be thinking how the fuck is that possible, its funny because they all have that distinctive pine sol gassy fuel smell.

Redrum92

Is there anywhere a fella can catch up on the history of Phillthy? You mention that dude lots throughout this thread, you've piqued my curiosity about him/Stank Bro history. I'm guessing the poor bastard got jammed up by prohibition, and Stank Bros is no more?

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Frank, what are your thoughts on mammoth p and it's price vs benefits. I tried a sample bottle, but honestly that was a while ago and I was still early in my learning (still am). I was thinking about trying it again, now that I have my system a little more dialed in. But I'm not organic right now.
I hear folks saying that it does work in coco even with synthetic nutrients, I just don't know if it's worth it.
Especially with flower prices dropping out all around me

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Frank, what are your thoughts on mammoth p and it's price vs benefits. I tried a sample bottle, but honestly that was a while ago and I was still early in my learning (still am). I was thinking about trying it again, now that I have my system a little more dialed in. But I'm not organic right now.
I hear folks saying that it does work in coco even with synthetic nutrients, I just don't know if it's worth it.
Especially with flower prices dropping out all around me

my 2 cents...mammoth p does work,and more or less like the company says...but it is damn pricey...i do use it albeit sparingly during flower so even a little bottle last a good while...also their bug spray stuff works well...

it's like the aptus line,i got some freebies and it certainly did what the company said,and it's certainly nice to have products tailored to specific plant needs,and the mass boost and finale boost certainly do add some serious swole....but it's complicated and expensive...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tokerzdream - If you are across the pond, then you are not who I thought you were! Met someone locally that has grown those same lines with much the same impression of them. Funny how that works.

I'm sure if you got those strains tested, they would have a higher level of terpenes. It was interesting looking @piffcon lab results to see where things fell. Really seems that anything lower that 1% of it's dominant terpene profile, is NOT going to pop the way you want it too. Start getting around 2%+ total terpenes. Combine that with 22%+ THC and you start seeing winners.

I would say that better terpenes in organic, but I'm bias. I would say, regardless of growing style, terps diminish greatly with running high room temps. Following VPD charts I have always felt increases yields but lowers resin qualities. Again, it's one of those things that is a combination of doing a lot of things right - and genetics.

I'd like to get some of my keepers tested, just to see.

Redrum92 - Phillthy was just my buddy. We tested the Seedbay server together when it got revamped and discovered we liked the same genetics. Also discovered we had been basically in a bid war with each other numerous times. When we started making sure that wasn't happening, we started saving a lot of money - and getting excellent genetics. That led to asking when things were getting sorted and eventually to some collaboration. Stank Bros was born from that. It got to the point it was too hard / unsafe to share with as many people we asking, so we started sending things into Seedbay to help fund the site and to make spreading the genes to individuals the task of someone else.

This is his main thread - a truly epic journey of some finely grown cannabis:

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...ntest-winner-phillthy-s-perpetual-padded-room

Yes. He did fall victim to prohibition. We still talk. He's smoked FAM95 and a few others. I try to keep him in the loop as much as he wants to be kept in it. One of my best friends on this planet. Have nothing but love for the dude. He helped A LOT of people while he was active here.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/icmag-vendor-forums/seedbay/seedbay-private-breeders/stank-bros

^Stank Bros sub-forum. That'll be active again soon. Stank Bros never 'was' much of anything other than a crudely made label. :joint:

CannaRed - Mammoth P seems to have been worth it. I think the advice given in this thread was wise - check batch numbers and dates to make sure it's not been sitting ages at the shop and is no longer viable. I'm not sure I saw an increase in numbers, but it didn't seem to hurt either. Going to keep using it, seeing as I have it. Will buy more a couple times, just to really see. Running bags makes for easier side by side than a bed too... ;)

dank.Frank

Redrum92

Jimminy crickets... 227 pages of phillthy to blast through... you sadistic little whore. Jk lol. Guess there's no shortcut to learning if I want to drop my amateur status!

Hope he's out there thriving, or at the very least surviving. I very much look forward to seeing any genetics you put out.

Last edited:

acespicoli

Karma Genetics - Bandaid Haze#7 x A5(r) - isolated pheno - "Topsail Haze" - ie - "Apricot Piff"

This room is 5 x 5 - 12 plants - will go into 8 gallons for flower - water only organic, still rocking the mix - flowering under Mars Hydro Led FC-E6500. There will be a companion thread to go along with this particular light in it's first usage.

I currently use 2x Vortex Power Fan VTX600 - and have been doing so for the last 12-15 years. They've been with me a long time. Flawless fans. Just sound like jet engines. I've discussed noise and air flow and fan motor noise, etc - MANY - times. It's one of the primary reasons I build room-inside-a-room style gardens - for the wall thickness, for insulation, to help mute noise.

The Mars Hydro 6" Inline Duct Fan - with Thermostat control - seems to be an upgrade from the current situation. Mars has offered to let me try 2 of these in my current rooms to replace the Vortex. THAT is a tall order they are attempting to best. I love those Vortex fans. They WORK. I never have to worry about them being a weak link in the garden. They work - and that is priceless.

But - Mars Hydro has convinced me to try LED - and now I have 4 of their lights. 1 - EpiStar 160. 2 - SP3000 Limited 5 spectrum Edition. 1. FC-E6500. I really can't complain at all. They have been pretty excellent to me as a small scale grower just posting some threads.

I'm hesitant once again to try something new - but I'm starting to build a trust factor with Mars Hydro at this point. Why not try the fans?!!!

So, the rooms will eventually be cooled and filtered with new fancy high tech fans - dope! In the mean time...

"Topsail Haze"

Just wait until she starts to bloom. This girl is SPECIAL.

It really is good to be back posting. I have sincerely, honestly - missed all of you. I miss the grower talk and the nerding out on plants. I miss sharing my insights and projections and conjectures...:joint:

I've miss you all, ICmag. Truly. Thank you for the warm reception back. It means more than you know, actually. Those that meet me in person learn very quickly I have my heart on my sleeve for this place and the friends I have made here. I'm excited to continue sharing my journey with you all.

2022 - is going to be an amazing year. Just wait!! Genetic Freaked and I have so much planned - everyone wins this year. Trust.

dank.Frank

:canabis::kewlpics::huggg:

BobChronic6505

Dankfrank, where does fam95 rank within the chem family? Like for someone who has never had the real chem 91/sis/D/stardawg, how close is it to those? I really like the pheno I kept, I would recommend it to anyone for sure

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BobChronic6505 - That would depend entirely upon the pheno. Lot of variation - but a lot of solid plants. I saw a lot of Chem 3 in the more squat Afghani type plants and a lot of Chem 4 type plants in cola type and yield. Terps varied but all had notes of pure chem. The line itself though, as a whole, I'd not think of as a pure chem representation. It's more of a Chem heavy / OG type cross.

When MOneYMiKe smelled my pheno, he said, huh, you kept one towards the sour side. I'd not say he is wrong. She does pull out some sour/chemmy notes when she's at her best.

The more common phenos were most representative of a stardawg type plant, all in all though.

I personally want to test that very theory by sorting some Top Dawg I95 x Stardawg.

dank.Frank

3rd-3yed

Veteran
BobChronic6505 - That would depend entirely upon the pheno. Lot of variation - but a lot of solid plants. I saw a lot of Chem 3 in the more squat Afghani type plants and a lot of Chem 4 type plants in cola type and yield. Terps varied but all had notes of pure chem. The line itself though, as a whole, I'd not think of as a pure chem representation. It's more of a Chem heavy / OG type cross.

When MOneYMiKe smelled my pheno, he said, huh, you kept one towards the sour side. I'd not say he is wrong. She does pull out some sour/chemmy notes when she's at her best.

The more common phenos were most representative of a stardawg type plant, all in all though.

I personally want to test that very theory by sorting some Top Dawg I95 x Stardawg.

dank.Frank

Nice to see you back Frank !

What I can say is that Stardawg (Illumati cut) have definitely some very sour aroma, almost similar to Sour D.

Keep up the good work my friend, you seems to have many great things to explore in 2022.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
3rd-3yed - I have more genetics to sort than I know what to do with. The key has always been in my mind to sprout seeds according to what is currently in house to make the most utilization of anything found. That often bites me in the ass though as I end up not getting around to stuff and the next thing I know another 5 years has passed...

I went over the seed collection the other day - and there really is too many options. I NEED TO FOCUS this year. I need to keep the rooms running. Once I figure out a set cycle, I'll get a proper rotation in. So many in. So many out. Every so many days. I know Phillthy used to run a 28 day cycle, which meant he was sprouting seeds every 28 days, trying to add something new to the rotation or cull something by default of having found something better.

Given the room is in a quasi build mode still, I've hesitated to start dropping seeds without things being a bit more refined and set in place, sanitized. air filters in place etc, etc, etc.

What I say I'm going to sprout changes all the time - not sure why - what I want to smoke changes. Too many choices??? A great problem to have!!

I want to keep adding unique female keepers to the stable - stuff that is just fun to smoke. I don't have the most ideal situation built out yet for males, so I'm leaning towards clearing out some of my female stock - OR - sprouting interesting one off seeds that I have very few of. Meaning, anything kept is not really selection but more so luck of the draw - which I guess it all is already to some extent with such limited numbers, but you get my point.

My cannavixen -DOES- greatly influence what I decide to grow. I enjoy sharing the plant with her on all facets and growing genetics she *thinks* she wants to smoke really encourages her interest in the garden as a whole. I enjoy her enjoyment of things and seeing her all into "it" - I'm not gonna lie - is quite...attractive.

1. Goat and Monkey Seeds - Blue Dream x Triangle Kush(r) (6) - REASON - She loved a TK leaning pheno of I-95 that $mike shared with us at Chemcomp. In the past, she has smoked TK and it stood out to her. Blue Dream - when grown well - is one of her favorite effects. It's sort of a given, the right expression from this line will be something she REALLY enjoys. Big shout out to Xochi for the awesome hook up on these genes. It was great getting to know you better at the one Gene Traders event. I know you gave us a huge discount for her to enjoy these - that generosity will not be wasted!

Some of the best genetics on planet earth are produced in small batches with love and passion for the plant in mind. I've been gifted his work over the years many times and it's never failed to impress. MeltingPOT has been one of my growing mentors for many many years - for many reasons. I admire and respect the guy immensely. With that being said, I just need to quit f'ing around and get to the good stuff. I know where it's at. SPROUT IT. :respect:

2. MeltingPot Seeds - Irene x (Diesel x Sour D Bx2) (10) - Sour Kush. Gas. Sour Gas. - Yes. Sign me up. These will be interesting. I expect a lot of variation. I expect some instability. I expect some to be overly leafy. I expect some where in these seeds though, exists something incredibly potent and dank. This is my kind of cross right here.

3. MeltingPot Seeds - Queen Hippo (6) - ie Fatso x Animal Cookies(r) - Fatso = GMO x Legend OG. Basically - (ChemD/GSC x OG) x GSC/OG - You see why it works, right? Keep in mind GSC - is an OG infused line as well. Remember I said my lady like to smoke on cookies and the derived lines for nausea? Well, this one suits us both, because it's just a bunch of OG/Cookies with a hit of Chem to kick the potency up. These seeds were actually gifted to me from Prodigygrower - and I think it hurt his heart a little to let them go. It would be wrong of me to sit on them when I know he'd be dropping them to take a peak - to find another banger. Thank you, brother!

4. The Seed Source - '87 Limepop F2 (3) - '87 Durban/Chitral x Limepop - ie M19 x (Pure Kush x Black Lime) - These were freebies. I only have 3 seeds...lol. But I can't help myself. I want a male from this line for pollen chucking. Nothing more. Then I want to pollinate Nspecta's Durban, Lime Kush, SCMK, and the Siberian Sherbet #$4. I'm fairly certain the 'Pure Kush' used was the LA Pure aka Puss Kush aka Suge PK. - This pollen chuck would make for excellent freebies later down the road...just saying. These could potentially create some really terpy plants.

Out of everything in my seed vault - that is what took priority - I can't understand my logic all the time - but that's what will get germinated when I get the space cleaned up a bit more. These seeds are pulled and set aside for germination on the next full moon cycle. I'd like to get on a rotation to where I'm dropping 25 seeds on the regular. Monthly.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
My cannavixen -DOES- greatly influence what I decide to grow. I enjoy sharing the plant with her on all facets and growing genetics she *thinks* she wants to smoke really encourages her interest in the garden as a whole. I enjoy her enjoyment of things and seeing her all into "it" - I'm not gonna lie - is quite...attractive.

Good for you, Frank. I have to keep my ‘cannavixen's' choice available at all times. It's the least I can do. Those that smoke together . . . :rasta:

Tokerzdream

DankFrank i cannot get most of the amendments you list so im thinking of getting soilking bigrootz bag of soil,will it be ok to final pot to a 5gallon pot and not see defiencies, because most people say 12 gallon pot minimum for living soil.also can you reccomend a topdress recipe for flower so i dont see or get defiencies,as you know im use to coco n bottle nutes and mid flower pk boost lol for the swell

Prodigygrower

Veteran
dank.frank sooo excited to see what you find brother. Those irene x d x sdbx2 will be amazing. The queen hippo will give you somthing special as well power smell and cash crop potential. Melty just knows how to pair genetics for impoving the parental stock the dudes a beast. 😂 it didnt break my heart one bit in the least. Imop there is nothing more pure than giving a friend seeds especially somthing thats special to that person. When you love the plant like we do seed is priceless and sharing them speaks things words can not say. It makes me happy to be able to share something with someone who has shared so much with me as well and the community over the years🙏🏼💚.