What's new

Dissolved Oxygen Meter Testing

Hey habeeb,

The probe is fine. There are no special requirements for storage of the probe according to the manual. The meter allows you to check the electrode properties for diagnostic purposes. The slope factor, % saturation offset setting, 100% saturation mV value and the 0% mV saturation value were all fine according to the Oakton tech I spoke with.

Once I received the meter, I reset the factory values and cleared the calibration data.
I've replaced the membrane on the electrode and refilled the electrolyte in the probe. I've also calibrated it before each session first setting the atm pressure to what wunderground.com says it is at the weather station closest to my house. It then gets calibrated to 100% satuartion in air, and then using a zero oxygen solution. I also adjust the salinity setting based on the concentration of the nutes using my EC meter.

About the only thing I haven't done to make sure readings are accurate is compare the readings to another DO meter.

Sam,

I like that idea better than H2O2. K+

Squarepush,

Nice idea. I'm just not willing to stress my gal for the sake of data.

critical DO level is 2-3, you could even bring it to 4 or 5 temporarily on the safe side to run a mini test.

-S

samba

Samba,
Interesting idea. I'll try it out.
Just to be clear, your're putting a bare tube down blowing out at the bottom of a larger tube placed in the res.
Would a 1/2" diameter piece of pvc pipe work for the outer tube?

Edit. Once I looked at your links, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've used that method several times to develop groundwater wells.
GREAT!
I'm looking forward to seeing the results!!!
This would be a inexpensive and cheep way to aerate your water, just the having to keep it vertical thing, that could cause some problems...

E:They use this method in waterfarms, and I have seen some monster buds in them!!!

EXT.LINKS!!!
http://www.hydroflore.net/contents/fr/farm.gif
http://www.somhydro.co.uk/images/501/Somhydro aquafarm.JPG

Scrogerman

Veteran
Nice examples Samba! Id like to see if you could achieve more DO than 9ppms at 68f using that tec, but i doubt it.

samba

bumped it to this here on the forum, not sure if its correct, but here it is:
picture.php

luv2grow

ok my oxydator arrived today,
specs:
6% solution of h2o2 with one catalyst 270mg o2 per day at 25c
can be used with 2 catalysts 540mg per day 25c

of course 25cs to warm (it does give an example say at 33c the reaction doubles )

i can keep this easy really and use 100l tank, auto refill @18c solution temp hi flow dwc and see how it goes.. im shit at math but im sure it gives a decent constant ppm reading well within safety margins for the plant. fuckit ill only kill two at the worst..
i cant identify the catalyst, its mixed in with ceramic and baked.

BlindDate

Veteran
This thread is a mess. I have no idea what you have done. Put all your test data into a chart with DO levels and the conditions they were taken in.

allouez

This thread is a mess. I have no idea what you have done. Put all your test data into a chart with DO levels and the conditions they were taken in.

In the first post there are links to the two posts with the data. Those two posts each have a PDF attachment.

Dr. Penguin

Thats great news allouez! Let us know how it goes. I'm really considering changing my RDWC to pure oxygen instead of air.

As for the catalyst, from what I've gathered there are two different metals used. The small bead type catalyst is one metal and the ceramic housing is another since it states that the housing is a "much stronger catalyst". From that I have to think the housing is going to be ceramic/platinum based but as to what the smaller catalyst metal is, I don't know. I know for certain that it isn't copper since copper is toxic to marine invertebrate life (what the system was designed for). Perhaps the patent will shed some light on it.

::Runs off to the patent office::

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran

You dont like it? Here are some options for you....

Move on, edit the tabular data to suit your needs, spend your own precious time doing your own precious testing, spend your own precious money on your own test equipment, or SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!

Hi haters. :wave:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran

And we can expect this from you by this time tomorrow?

Let's play nice people.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Its called ignorance Sarge, some say its bliss, i say its ignorant! take no note & stick with the programme bro! you did spend good money on that DO meter afterall! bound to help more people here that not!

I appreciated your time, testing & data, top man!

I'm thankful too
And you did layout all your test results in an easy to understand format.... It was just a matter of reading the thread from the start!

The additional practical and theories afterwards all fell into place too!

G

greenmatter

a wise man once told me that his mom use to say "feed a fever, starve a troll":)

you are doing great stuff with that new meter IMHO ... just another day on the net

BlindDate

Veteran
Every single test shows the same measurements taken at the same temperature. All we learned is that H2O2 only lasts a few hours. Way to go Sergent. Thanx for all that valuable information.
You might try to find out when O2 depletion occurs at the root zone and how aeration effects it.

We learned about which aeration methods work best and that keeping the air running is vital. Sure! Long term testing and placement would have been nice but it's definitely not needed as they would only tell us what we already know....lots of water and DO = healthy plants!

G

greenmatter

Every single test shows the same measurements taken at the same temperature. All we learned is that H2O2 only lasts a few hours. Way to go Sergent. Thanx for all that valuable information.
You might try to find out when O2 depletion occurs at the root zone and how aeration effects it.

:laughing:we also learn that some people make an effort to share information and others seem to go out of their way to make them regret it ...... if you are not learning anything just unsubscribe, that would only take minimal effort on your part :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts