What's new

Disposal of Clippings

Man at Arms

Wow. Great responses everyone. Thank you! It’s a small enough grow so lots of these sound good. I’d love to start a compost pile but living in the burbs in the Bible Belt, I don’t want to draw any attention. I don’t want to dump in someone else’s is trash or a dumpster as their are too many cameras around. I am growing organic so maybe just letting it dry out and giving it back to planet without feeling bad could be a way to go as well.

Mr. J

Everything that isn't smokable gets fed to the worms. In a few days they turn it into very good compost.They do the same with all the kitchen scraps and cardboard boxes and toilet paper rolls. I can't believe how much stuff used to go in the trash that now becomes high quality organic soil.

'Boogieman'

^^^ It's best not to compost what you're growing at the same location.

It invites plant specific pests to grow in numbers.

Thank you, I didn't know this. I'm probably screwed, I pick out budrot and chuck it over my head while harvesting.

troutman

Seed Whore
rabbit-eats-marihuana.jpg

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I grow micro, and dispose waste stems, leaves, root mass
in plastic sgrocery bags, maybe four or five nested.

Then into communal dumpsters that may or may not get inspected.

Really no way to determine the origins.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Im either growing in big 25 gallon pots or even bigger beds, and have worms going, so all my clippings get fed back to the plants via worms.

for the win f.u.c.k.e.r.s

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
I have also used my fan leaves and trimmings as a mulching layer on my pots on a new run.

I grow micro, and dispose waste stems, leaves, root mass
in plastic sgrocery bags, maybe four or five nested.

Then into communal dumpsters that may or may not get inspected.

Really no way to determine the origins.

Never put grow trash in your own trash! That's grow safety rule number 1. Even a lazy cop will drive by at night and do a "trash pull" and grab your trash for the forensic guys to go through.

Once a bag goes into someone elses trash can or dumpster, though it's impossible to prove ownership (for the most part).
Protip: Baggies collect fingerprints! Regular rubbing alcohol and a papertowel will remove them.
Wrinkly paper grocery bags would be almost impossible to get prints from.
You can ride by and throw the bag in an apartment dumpster, or if it's small, stuff it into a can a a convenience store or a big box store.

I compost my coffee grounds, eggshells etc so a little bit of trash is easy to put in the compost bin with everything else. Unless someone sifts through your compost bin for some rotted leaves, you'll be fine.

Way, way back I'd put trash bags into a backpack and go ride my bike at night through the fields and release handfuls back into the wild.

G

Bokashi fermentation or Black Soldier Fly composting for leaves or stems.
These days I feed to chickens, but will begin saving some of the leaves for juicing.
Soon I'm going to start wrapping the thicker stems in a bundle and make bee hotels for the tourists...

bushed

its funny to think of people going to such effort of grinding and flushing but i guess lots of people live in apartments where this makes sense. You say you live in the suberbs do you have a garden? Whats wrong with a simple hole?

X

xavier7995

Mostly they just get tossed into a yard waste bag along with my yard waste. Depending on the season they may wind up mixed into my raised beds for worms and such to eat.

When in an apartment I would just put in the dumpster. I always go with big apartment complexes that use management companies as they dont care what happens as long as they get paid. My last rental had a few people doing grows of a reasonable size and they just tossed the plants in not bagged or anything, buncha 4 ft tumbleweed looking husks sitting around a dumpster. I felt rather secure taking the extra step of bagging it and tossing in the dumpster of a different building.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Not for nothing, but assume there are cameras pointed at dumpsters,
and using a dumpster off site may lead to questions later.

Some people make it their job to pinch other folks.

RB56

Veteran
I have a chipper/shredder. I put grow waste through it with a spruce branch to cover odor, if need be. I grow in coir, so I break up the root balls to reuse as much coir as possible and then run what's left through the chipper. Great for general yard cleanup as well - pruned branches become wood chips in the landscaping planting beds. Just started a new bin.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts