What's new

Dispensary etiquette. How much do I tip?

Lunchmoney

I work and spend most time in Detroit have popped into the dispensary a couple of times being unfamiliar with legal pot venues I have no clue how much is expected how much is proper what are things I should never do in a dispensary what are things I should always do in a dispensary?

Ca++

It's just shopping. The basic function of serving you is their job.

If you get good service, you may wish to tip. Ultimately the owners staff who get tipped a lot, are worth keeping. So you are voting with your money. So there shouldn't be an amount in mind, before you even arrive. Some staff just deserve a slap in these situations.

I think if I got good honest advice, from a fellow smoker, who wanted to help me, more than run off for coffee, I would thank them accordingly.

Lunchmoney

Ok got it ha I gave dude way too much then. I had to try couple hash rosin samples I am really impressed with this extracted product. Very natural feeling smelling and tasting stuff. I’m not impressed with the dispo scene here. It’s cool it’s legal but it’s disgusting what I payed for couple handfuls of nugs. 50 bucks roughly for quarter oz. 25 for gram of rosin.

Reactions: Gry

Lunchmoney

It's just shopping. The basic function of serving you is their job.

If you get good service, you may wish to tip. Ultimately the owners staff who get tipped a lot, are worth keeping. So you are voting with your money. So there shouldn't be an amount in mind, before you even arrive. Some staff just deserve a slap in these situations.

I think if I got good honest advice, from a fellow smoker, who wanted to help me, more than run off for coffee, I would thank them accordingly.
I did use about 20 mins of his time shaking him down for some local info. He was very insightful and the first “bud tender” that was any kind of grow savvy. He himself was living soil grower. Honestly Ida bought the man a proper drink had one been available. So I guess I did buy him a drink or smoke or diapers or whatever his choosing right.. I was same kinda confused during covid lockdown and had the carry out tip question. Same deal there I guess pay accordingly. I’m a union man. I don’t get tips. Or holidays. But I’m compensated otherwise I guess. the dispo dude earns his money and Uncle Sam takes his outta his ass just the same.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am an exceptionally big tipper and I tip everybody. But, I must admit I resented tipping at the dispensary just a tiny bit. Not because of the taxes or the shitty pot at overpriced prices because none of that is the budtenders fault. But, after a while I found myself asking why.

I grow my own so I only visit a dispensary on rare occasion but when I first moved here I went every week until my first harvest came in. I usually buy between $100 and $200 per visit. I started out just giving a $10 or $20 tip each time but after a while, I told myself these people don't know 1/100th of what I know about pot and they just get what I tell them to get from the shelf. I usually order online and just pickup at the dispensary.

So, I started a new procedure. Let's add some fun to the trip..... When the sale is over I grab a 10 or 20 dollar bill and I tell the budtender that I am going to ask him a question. If he can answer it he gets the tip.

I used the same question for weeks at a number of different dispensarys and no one could ever answer. My simple question?..... "Tell me who Sam 'the' Skunkman is.

No one ever knew. Damn kids. LOL

Finally, one guy who lost his tip 3 or 4 times, must have done a little research and when I asked.... Who was Sam Skunkman.... the damn kid knew half of Sam's life story. LOL He must have looked it up.

I handed him the $20 and told him I would double it if he could tell me Sam's real name. Little bastard shouted out "David Watson". I laughed my ass off and gave him the second $20. LOL

I have not been to a dispensary in months and my next harvest comes in on Halloween so I may never see a dispensary again. At least, I hope not. LOL

Peace

Lunchmoney

I am an exceptionally big tipper and I tip everybody. But, I must admit I resented tipping at the dispensary just a tiny bit. Not because of the taxes or the shitty pot at overpriced prices because none of that is the budtenders fault. But, after a while I found myself asking why.

I grow my own so I only visit a dispensary on rare occasion but when I first moved here I went every week until my first harvest came in. I usually buy between $100 and $200 per visit. I started out just giving a $10 or $20 tip each time but after a while, I told myself these people don't know 1/100th of what I know about pot and they just get what I tell them to get from the shelf. I usually order online and just pickup at the dispensary.

So, I started a new procedure. Let's add some fun to the trip..... When the sale is over I grab a 10 or 20 dollar bill and I tell the budtender that I am going to ask him a question. If he can answer it he gets the tip.

I used the same question for weeks at a number of different dispensarys and no one could ever answer. My simple question?..... "Tell me who Sam 'the' Skunkman is.

Finally, one guy who lost his tip 3 or 4 times, must have done a little research and when I asked.... Who was Sam Skunkman.... the damn kid knew half of Sam's life story. LOL He must have looked it up.

I handed him the $20 and told him I would double it if he could tell me Sam's real name. Little bastard shouted out "David Watson". I laughed my ass off and gave him the second $20. LOL

I have not been to a dispensary in months and my next harvest comes in on Halloween so I may never see a dispensary again. At least, I hope not. LOL

Peace
This is golden!

• Love

Lunchmoney

Peace
My first couple of trips the budtender knew only what she read from her I pad. This guy had experience more importantly than knowledge. He seemed to be the right man for the job. I work with reptilian folk surrounded by complete asshkles all day this guy was somewhat pleasant to talk even. I did not get his name and I hope I don’t have to spend anymore of my time there as I’ll be harvesting the garden soon myself.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I definitely tip based upon service, not the amount of the tab. It's not uncommon for me to leave a $20 tip on a $20 or $30 tab. Especially at a bar. I may only drink $20 in beer in a couple hours but the server talked shit with me and filled me in on the local scene (I'm new here) and all kinds of great stuff.... that's worth 20 bux. Pure and simple. LOL

On the other hand, if service really really stinks. And, it's obviously the server's fault, I have been known to ask for change for a nickel and I leave 2 cents. Just so they know. LOL

I love good food so I eat out all the time. Restaurant servers are some of my most favorite people. And, this area is screaming with awesome restaurants. Everyone around around here is a zillionaire. And, there's one thing you'll always find around rich people and that's ..... GOOD FOOD.

Anyway, to address the OP's question, I would say to go in with a number in mind. Let's say $1, just because you feel obligated to tip. Most places just have a jar and are grateful for the buck. OK, the next number in your head is , let's say $3. You only give this if you feel like the budtender actually gave you something. Cool information about the grow op in back. The local music or party scene. Or, better yet, to tell you that they have 20% off every Sunday. Wow, great info..... kick a buck.

If he/she flirts with you and agrees to have a drink.... OK, kick a buck. LOL

But, you get the message. Go in with a "level" of tip from "only OK" to "awesome" with 'only OK' being $1 and 'awesome' being $5 (or whatever amounts).

I got all drunked up a couple weeks at a place called The Grind and went back in the kitchen and started tipping the chef and the dishwasher and the kitchen staff. LOL A few days later I met the owner and I mentioned it to her and she said, "Oh, you're the one. Yeah, I heard about you." LOL

I hope they don't run me out of the desert like they did Ohio. I like it here. LOL

Lunchmoney

I’m from the south in is not uncommon to tip the cook. With cash or beer. I did leave a handsome tip I hit the 15% button and tossed what singles I had in the jar. I’m still uncertain. I do know how to tip a bar hand tho I feel better after hearing y’all I even donated to ic mag here but it’s giving me hell confirming email they did take their 7 bucks tho. I have been tipped by a foreman or two it’s just usually bottle or bag

Lunchmoney

I definitely tip based upon service, not the amount of the tab. It's not uncommon for me to leave a $20 tip on a $20 or $30 tab. Especially at a bar. I may only drink $20 in beer in a couple hours but the server talked shit with me and filled me in on the local scene (I'm new here) and all kinds of great stuff.... that's worth 20 bux. Pure and simple. LOL

On the other hand, if service really really stinks. And, it's obviously the server's fault, I have been known to ask for change for a nickel and I leave 2 cents. Just so they know. LOL

I love good food so I eat out all the time. Restaurant servers are some of my most favorite people. And, this area is screaming with awesome restaurants. Everyone around around here is a zillionaire. And, there's one thing you'll always find around rich people and that's ..... GOOD FOOD.

Anyway, to address the OP's question, I would say to go in with a number in mind. Let's say $1, just because you feel obligated to tip. Most places just have a jar and are grateful for the buck. OK, the next number in your head is , let's say $3. You only give this if you feel like the budtender actually gave you something. Cool information about the grow op in back. The local music or party scene. Or, better yet, to tell you that they have 20% off every Sunday. Wow, great info..... kick a buck.

If he/she flirts with you and agrees to have a drink.... OK, kick a buck. LOL

But, you get the message. Go in with a "level" of tip from "only OK" to "awesome" with 'only OK' being $1 and 'awesome' being $5 (or whatever amounts).

I got all drunked up a couple weeks at a place called The Grind and went back in the kitchen and started tipping the chef and the dishwasher and the kitchen staff. LOL A few days later I met the owner and I mentioned it to her and she said, "Oh, you're the one. Yeah, I heard about you." LOL

I hope they don't run me out of the desert like they did Ohio. I like it here. LOL
I love hearing from y’all. Shit is great. Fuck Ohio and their pothole’s. I spent few days at 2020 auburn ave in Cincinnati juvenile hall in 1999, I got busted smoking a joint in Annie’s parking lot at a system of down show. Mom had to drive hours to get me. That’s a twisted system they have for our youth. I’ve not been to the dessert yet. One trip to San Fran in 05. Otherwise nowhere west. I travel frequently Ohio. And dodge highway patrol and potholes at high speeds.

moose eater

I rarely tip for take-out service unless there's a real good reason, as in, someone went above and beyond.

I never tipped my dealers decades ago, though occasionally turned them onto a line or something.

If you're charging $10 to $20 a gram for commercial-grade shop weed, then talk to your employer about your tip.

If your employer isn't paying you a living wage, again, talk to your employer about that.

If I dirty your table, otherwise make a mess, or cause others to do something other than show me their wares and take my money, then perhaps a tip is in order.

When a tip -is- in order, I typically leave 10% to 20% depending on the quality of service.

When a server has been an asshat, or otherwise rude or ineffective (for reasons not related to third-parties), I've sometimes been known to leave 2 pennies, as a statement. One that's hard to misinterpret, unless the person figures I was simply out of money... which hasn't been too often.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Green Squall

I've never tipped at my dispensary. I think they make $18-$20/hr here with good benefits and I never ask any questions - - no different than buying a 6 pack the local packie. I'm in and out, quick.

In restaurants however, I usually tip 20% because they're paid less than the federal minimum wage and rely on said tips.

Lunchmoney

I've never tipped at my dispensary. I think they make $18-$20/hr here with good benefits and I never ask any questions - - no different than buying a 6 pack the local packie. I'm in and out, quick.

In restaurants however, I usually tip 20% because they're paid less than the federal minimum wage and rely on said tips.
Fair enough!

Gry

Veteran
I go in for clones, I normally get one.
I leave a five dollar tip.
If I factored in past harvests,
I would want to leave more.

Latest posts

Latest posts