What's new

Dimethyl sulfoxide

vostok

Veteran
DMSO is a polar aprotic solvent and is less toxic than other members of this class, such as dimethylformamide, dimethylacetamide, N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone, and HMPA. DMSO is frequently used as a solvent for chemical reactions involving salts, most notably Finkelstein reactions and other nucleophilic substitutions. It is also extensively used as an extractant in biochemistry and cell biology.[11] Because DMSO is only weakly acidic, it tolerates relatively strong bases and as such has been extensively used in the study of carbanions. A set of non-aqueous pKa values (C-H, O-H, S-H and N-H acidities) for thousands of organic compounds have been determined in DMSO solution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

heavy shit ....lol

shaggyballs

Veteran
Is it safe to spray or root feed plants ?

Concentrations
Research by Schmitz and Skoog at the University of Wisconsin in 1969 indicated that DMSO showed no apparent effect upon growth of tobacco plants in concentrations between 0.2 percent and 0.4 percent. In concentrations of 0.8 percent and above, yield of the plants were reduced by 50 percent or more. The plants did not show any damage from the DMSO.

Bacterial Growth
The introduction of solvents including DMSO in research by Robison, Smid and Wolyn for the National Research Council Canada in 2006, indicated elevated levels of bacteria on plant roots in hydroponic environment. While DMSO showed lower levels of bacteria than ethanol or methanol, plant leaves were smaller and showed dead cells after eight days with concentrations between 0.05 percent and 0.001 percent of DMSO.

Water Molecules
Research by H. Harry Szmant of the University of Detroit focused on the ability of DMSO to affect water present in cells. DMSO readily bonds with hydrogen. This is an area that will require further research to understand DMSO's effects upon biological systems.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7812979_effect-dmso-plant-growth.html#ixzz2wjxoFGCN

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
It is one of the safest solvents closely behind water and ethanol ;) .
DMSO is used in ointments, during liposuction, and cryopreservation; our body can easily stand 1 dl and likely more. It is very well resorbed also through skin but also easily excreted.
I'm not saying it is without danger. Like ethanol it comes with a price... A positive as well as negative aspect is the enhanced resorption of nearly anything dissolved in it... could be good to deliver a pain-killer to your knee via topical application (like a Diclofenac gel), could be bad when you spill some toxic chemical dissolved in it on your arm. Though you have to brutally mess around with it to get sick.

mr bub

I wouldn't spray my plants with it. DMSO is a powerful solvent, and it would probably dissolve the resin glands on your plants.
I'm not sure if there's any benefit of using it as a soil amendment.

The only use that I can think of for dmso might be to dissolve some oil in it, and then it could be used as a topical lotion. The dmso would be absorbed through the skin and take the thc with it. Whether this results in topical pain relief I don't know.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I wouldn't spray my plants with it. DMSO is a powerful solvent, and it would probably dissolve the resin glands on your plants.
I'm not sure if there's any benefit of using it as a soil amendment.

The only use that I can think of for dmso might be to dissolve some oil in it, and then it could be used as a topical lotion. The dmso would be absorbed through the skin and take the thc with it. Whether this results in topical pain relief I don't know.
No worries, the DMSO should not be used above 10% in aqueous solutions. That way, it does neither dissolve plants nor human skin.
It has no use or effect by itself (although some folks claim it does, but that's quackery) and only serves as co-solvent or to produce concentrated stock solutions which are diluted with water prior to be used.

shaggyballs

Veteran
So a stock solution poses little danger of the dissolved chemica'sl absorption through through the skin......But the concentrated mix of only DMSO and said chemical is highly absorbed through the skin?

Is this true?

what are the proper gloves to wear with the solvent?
Sounds like sleeves goggles the whole get up might not be a bad idea.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Errr... a stock solution usually is the concentrated pure DMSO plus chemical ;) .
The more DMSO the better the resorption. Often, a stock solution is (for workability reasons) at 10X to 100X which makes the final or working solution 10% or 1%, respectively. 10% is still very resorption enhancing; 1% is borderline... but you shouldn't touch toxic chemicals anyway LoL. For super active ingredients, the first stock is often at 1'000X to 10'000X which you dilute in two steps to get the final 1X (diluting 10'000 times is not practical, like one drop in a bath tub :) ). Using each time water leaves you with a negligible amount of DMSO in the final cocktail.

Gloves: Powder-free latex; withstand pure DMSO for some minutes. As long as you don't have a latex allergy, they usually are the best and most comfortable ones. Also, they withstand acetone quite good (nitril gloves dissolve quickly).
Good goggles when manipulating chemicals is always indispensable, no matter if you use dry powders, acids/bases, organic solvents or whatever (also any sort of agrochemicals). Best are the tight fitting ones like for snowboarding or those used to protect against sawdust but any kind of glasses is a good thing! I underlined bases because they are amongst the most dangerous things to the human eye.
And also long sleeves, preferably cotton, closed shoes, and a water tap close by are advantageous.

Latest posts

Latest posts