What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did you ever make Thai sticks?

I never tried Thai sticks, but knew a cat or two who did. If it's anything close to what they say, I WANT them! I read an article in a "Best of" mag that gave a procedure to make them:(basically)#1-Boil sugar leaf trim in H2o for a couple hours. Strain out trim and reduce over low heat 'til slightly thicker.#2-Repeat same procedure with high% iso, and ditch trim.#3-Combine the two extracts and reduce to a thin syrup. Remove from heat.#4-Mop up the final extract onto some dried buds. Tie tightly on a stick, dry and cure.----sounds good to me, but I wonder, couldn't you just use 70% iso and do the "extraction" in one step? (I am about to switch to 12/12 on a micro CFL grow; dreaming forward!):plant grow:

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Hmm.... everyone I know from my dad's generation always makes an allusion to those being soaked in some kind of opium water, or just having opium in the mix, but I really do not know. Also, they were made with some super-crazy sativas, chances are that it'd be hard to replicate that high with most of today's strains. Good luck though!

I will say that my patient's dad always says that ours is the best he's ever had... except for thai sticks.

I'm just playing with two bagseed plants, one more Indica-dom (Stinky), and one more Sativa-dom (DaBush). I planned to utilize the lower, or less developed buds from the bush. I'll be sure to update when it happens, with a smoke report.....

bigAl25

Veteran
I just think is was very special thai weed grown and cured correctly. It does rank up there as one of the best I have ever smoked in the past 40+years. Miss it and would love to have it again. It brought lightweights to their knees, I just took smaller tokes, what a ride. Peace and respect.

Grizzel

From what I remember they were about 1/4 inch thick and very dark in color, like chocolate. Oh so good.
Then there was the sheba sheba, Man I'd die for some of that.

Peace

City Twin

Hmm.... everyone I know from my dad's generation always makes an allusion to those being soaked in some kind of opium water, or just having opium in the mix, but I really do not know.

Some Thai stick was opium dipped. That going into Viet Nam was “weaponized” with O to keep US mil smokers too high to fight.

Whole ripe poppies were shredded and boiled in water with bees wax or paraffin to bind seed oils. Mixture was allowed to cool and the wax removed. This water extract was strained to remove plant matter and boiled down to dip stick or bud or dried completely in shallow flat pans. The resulting grayish white crude morphine extract was called “sheeto”, being dried on sheets and all.

Sheeto could be bought to smoke or sprinkle in tobacco or pot. The dip stick showed streaks of morphine. As did some Temple Ball hash.

Regular stick and ball was just fine, thank you.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
loved my some thai stick back in the day :good:

I never tried Thai sticks, but knew a cat or two who did. If it's anything close to what they say, I WANT them! I read an article in a "Best of" mag that gave a procedure to make them:(basically)#1-Boil sugar leaf trim in H2o for a couple hours. Strain out trim and reduce over low heat 'til slightly thicker.#2-Repeat same procedure with high% iso, and ditch trim.#3-Combine the two extracts and reduce to a thin syrup. Remove from heat.#4-Mop up the final extract onto some dried buds. Tie tightly on a stick, dry and cure.----sounds good to me, but I wonder, couldn't you just use 70% iso and do the "extraction" in one step? (I am about to switch to 12/12 on a micro CFL grow; dreaming forward!):plant grow:

yes with great success

if you don't mind, please elaborate :tiphat:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I remember the Thai sticks. I think some were treated and others not.
I also remember a racy sativa that I think was from Colombia that was called Rainbow and also kicked ass.
$35.00 a lid, back in the day.

I've known a few people hooked on the horse, or, worse yet (IMO), on pharm "Mother's Little Helper". Being hooked like that is a real bitch, and I'm NOT interested in that...BUT...I've done a fair share of research on poppy growing and processing and such, and like the idea of the dipped sticks. Not that I'm "on"', but it sounds like a special treat, for special occasions! We will see how this pans out!

John Deere

Veteran
And now, my beauties, something with poison in it, I think. Something with poison in it, but attractive to the eye, and soothing to the smell. Poppies… Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleep. Now they’ll sleep!

WizardofOz_poppies.jpg

I was just looking through the "harvesting/processing" links of old. Back in the day I water-cured some overly-dry, "hay-smelling" buds into some tasteless black (coniderably more potent) smell-free weed. After much reading, I think that I'll go with a water cure first (on my dried buds), then dip 'em and tie 'em, for sticks. Wish me luck; I will keep everyone updated. Peace.

h.h.

Veteran
Thai sticks are Thai bud around a bamboo stick tied with hemp. There may have been some dipped in opium extract as noted and you would even see it with a little bit of white to it, you could imagine it was white powder if you wanted to. Probably mold.
It didn't taste moldy, didn't taste like opium either, didn't taste like anything but good pot. When you mixed it in a spoon with a generous dose of honey oil to roll a doober, you couldn't get any better.
What's described here is just making an extract, putting it on some buds, and tying it to a stick for some reason. Just make some oil if you want. The rest is a waste.

To h.h.: I read, "Tightly compressing and wrapping the buds on the stick is an important part of this operation. It will seem counterintuitive to many connoisseur growers/smokers. However, there is a "fermentation" process that takes place, bringing about a distinctive quality to the final product." We will see...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Bump!
Not sure if im making thai sticks or some artisan cigars, so far i got weed tied to a stick...

picture.php