What's new

Did I FIM correctly?

G

JWP said:
I wonder if Kinderfeld will come back with a new name and let us know how it went

Yo! Glad my pics are helping. I got her fimmed correctly alright and had about 5 main colas on each of the plants I fimmed. I do recommend cutting a little more off however, as my growth had a little extra 'skin', or deformed leaves as you put it JWP.

In conclusion fimming is not for me, this really stunts the plants or at least it did on the strains I was working with, not to mention they will need lots more root space. I have very specific growing schduales and don't rely on clones/moms/cycles for the main parts of my crops so it just wasn't worth it to me.

I recommend it to anyone who can veg for over 50+ days to get a solid bush...I also recommend it to anyone who grows in cycles and needs to improve on yield and/or space.

Her is an URKLE s1 I fimmed and the result in 5+ nodes.... kind of hard to see them all, three tops emerged in the middle and two on the side:

Last edited:

smokeymacpot

Veteran
you left part of the leaves when you fim'ed it. remove them. but yes you have go the idea of it, those 2 tiny shoots where you cut, will grow into 2 colas instead of 1. you can keep fimming those new ones for even more, keept at it :)

G

TheOneWill said:
So FIM is like topping but creates more tops?

Right... you severe something in the middle but leave a little bit. The plant now derives energy into a bunch of different directions. These form into tops at least two as many as 7-9 depending on strain. Instead of just two (topping) if done right you have a chance of getting more tops. Problems I found was the recovery time and that you HAVE to find the right strain to do it with. Some respond VERY bad to it. I don't know any technical terms...and I could be a bit off but that is what I have come to understand it.

Hawk

Question about the timing of FIM (or conventional topping, for that matter): Does the plant require a vegetative growth period after FIM or topping? If I FIM a plant and soon follow with a change to 12/12, what will happen?

Will the plant still develop new tops at the FIM location or is more vegetative growth required for the new tops to take hold? Hope this isn't a silly question, I'm new to all this.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Hawk said:
Question about the timing of FIM (or conventional topping, for that matter): Does the plant require a vegetative growth period after FIM or topping? If I FIM a plant and soon follow with a change to 12/12, what will happen?

Will the plant still develop new tops at the FIM location or is more vegetative growth required for the new tops to take hold? Hope this isn't a silly question, I'm new to all this.

Itll take the plant a couple days to recover and redirect growth to the new "tops". Switching to 12/12 a few days later shouldn't be a problem.

Jacksparrow

I have a question regarding FIM'ing.

I have a plant I'd like to mother...problem is She has grown too tall.

I have FIM'd her...but she's still about 13 inches..I'd prefer she were about half that.

Anything I can do? Bend her over and tie it down? or... scissor her down to height? orrr..... too late for me

wishbone420

Jacksparrow said:
I have a question regarding FIM'ing.

I have a plant I'd like to mother...problem is She has grown too tall.

I have FIM'd her...but she's still about 13 inches..I'd prefer she were about half that.

Anything I can do? Bend her over and tie it down? or... scissor her down to height? orrr..... too late for me
clone the top.peace

Latest posts

Latest posts