What's new

Did anybody see Hendrix live?

One thing I always envy about the older tokers is that a lot of you were alive when a lot of great musicians also were, many of whom died years before I was born. Did anybody here see Hendrix live, or other famous musicians whom are now deceased? I hear Hendrix used to play shows with acid in his headband... ****in' sweet.

G

unfortuntely I didn't get to see any of them, but my folks saw them all....Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Pigpen, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Frank Zappa, Muddy Waters, Marley just to name a few....we have some great old pics of them...

RottenDawg

I don't know if it counts but my MOM went to see Hendix, and god only knows how many others, while she was pregnant with me. I may not have seen him but you know I heard him and was germinated with that vibe!!! Anyone play music for their plants? Gots to be somth'n like that with fetus and sound, no?...........RD

Last edited:

mr.haze420

Veteran
saw hendrix in 1968, singer bowl, flushing, queens and i was at an electric flag show at the fillmore, hendrix sat in and jammed some. saw most of those who are now deceased. long live rock n roll

dignityx

Woodoo Child.
I saw Hendrix live a few months before he died - a fantastic concert. I saw Pink Floyd, Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, John Mayall and many others back in the early 70'es.

bizar4u

I saw Muddy Waters and Carl Perkins. Those guys toured for a long long time.

Saw Fleetwood Mac V. 1.0, before Stevie Nicks.

What a vibe that was... not like this: :headbange

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I saw the Who in Philly 71, Jefferson Airplane same yr. in NJ, Grateful Dead for free on the green in Vandy 73, Allman Bros. w/Greg 71 or 2, Humble Pie & ZZ Top in 72, I forget Led Zep `74?

bbnl5

In the Middle of it "ALL"

In the Middle of it "ALL"

I was at Monterey,on TUEYS(Downers) so I missed alot
of it. I knew Janis & Leary Lived in N.Beach @ Janis's house,couple months
Dropped about 50 tabs with tim. Osley had made a Gallon Jar of Purple Haze
& we did that.It was a wonderful time,no aids,hippy chicks everywhere
great drugs & ROCK & ROLL!!!!
GOD I MISS THOSE DAYS

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Well, you can kind of figure my age by reading what it says under my avatar. Yes, I hit the big double-nickel this year.

I'm blessed to be able to say that I had the pleasure to see many a great performer in the 60's and 70's. I was kind of addicted to concerts, and worked as an usher at several concert halls just so I could see the shows.

And, while I was at Woodstock, and have the pictures to prove it, I'm sorry to say that I remember very little of it. Between being constantly stoned then, and the side-effects of perscription meds I now have to take, I've lost so much of it.

Laugh all you will, but on my list of the top-most performances I ever saw I have to put James Brown in Newark Symphony Hall 1967, in the second position. He gave everything he had and then some to the audience, and in the first spot is...... an impromptu jam session in the Bitter End in the Village in NYC I think it was 1970. Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker. It was so fantastic, I almost came in my pants.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Jimi used to jam at a small club in Hollywood called "the experience"
But to be honest he was often drunk or ****ed up and the music was not real tight, which is good or bad depending on how you feel. I saw him several times live, as well as jammin at the experience with Buddy Miles and friends.
I lived in Hollywood, Laurel Canyon, and ran into rock stars almost everyday. Frank Zappa used to live just down the street, at the log cabin on Mulholland Dr. I must of seen him play 100 times both in pratice and at shows, Fraternity of Man, Crazyhorse, John Mayall, and lots of others lived close by, I used to walk a block from my house and sit on Joni Michells porch and listen to her jam with Neal Young, David Crosby, and Stephen Stills & Graham Nash. I went to parties in the early 60's where all of the Stones showed up, they were all short I thought, but WOW their music was great. The Doors played the Whisky-a-go-go a bunch.
I remember seeing LOVE, with Arthur Lee at the club Bido-Litos in Hollywood, on Cosmo street next to Ivar street, for $.50.
I think the best gigs in the 60's in LA were at the shriners autorium in downtown LA, remember that acid was still legal....
I remember Little Richard yelling to the audience in the shrine to come on down and dance on the stage, lots of people did and the whole stage came tumbling down on top of everyone, the show ended, and Little Richard was only the warm up act.
I forget who was the top bill that night.....
The 60's ended with me at Altamont so high on Orange Sunshine that I did not know it was a bummer until the next day when I came down, oh well I still had fun, lots of great acts, but to much fighting.
I also saw Bob Marley both times he played at the Santa Cruz Civic, real magic!
-SamS

Last edited:
C

Chamba

I saw the Rolling Stones in '71 in Melbourne, Australia at Kooyong tennis stadium where they used to play the Aussie Open......it was a 100+ degrees ...and the Stones played 3 shows that day..we had tickets for the afternoon show and they were great, every song was a hit and they played their hearts out in the heat under a canopy sweating like crazy

I was just a kid at the time, almost 13, but all the big guys (15 ~18 yo) in the neighbourhood insisted that I have to come with them and see the Stones .....they said the Stones are probably never going to return for a long time (which was right) and I'd be sorry if I didn't convince my parents to pay for a ticket.....here's a belated thanks to all the guys in my neighbourhood.

soon after I got it into my head to throw a birthday party for myself and hired a band....well, word got around and about 500+ people turned up and tried to get into our suburban back yard, virtually no lighting, the garden got trampled, some idiot tried to set the fence on fire....and then it got a bit wild, Dad pulled the plug and I was banned from promoting lol..the band was pissed off because I owed them $20...which was alot of money at the time for a 13 year old.. I had innocently thought that everyone who came would pay 20 or 50 cents each to help pay for them....

around the same time I tried Lebanese hash for the first time and we used to smoke a jay then go a local pool hall ( a small one with just a few tables) that had 6 or 7 pin ball machines...we'd ask the owner, a Greek guy who used to have an illegal card game out the back 24/7 for his Greek mates, to turn off all the lights and we'd play pin ball in th dark, happy and stoned, drink cokes and laugh and spin out some good tunes on the jutebox ...good times....you haven't played pinball until you have played stoned in the dark on good Leb as the pin ball lights really stand out..

I think it was 4 or 5 years later Bob Marley and the Wailers came to town...I'm still kicking myself today for not getting off the couch to see Bob

I saw Santana in '77 or '78 and lots of other bands inbetween and after......

I would of liked to have been able to see Hendrix, the Doors and others....but downunder was along way away then

and I especially wish I had see Janis Joplin...Creedence Clearwater Revival were a fave too

Last edited:

Cocoa Puffs

Fun thread! Great stories all! Thanks Sam... Well I am just turning 40!!!

When I was a kid , I was a Hendrix fanatic, and checked out all his NYC haunts. His old apartment building, Electric Ladyland.... but it's great to hear different memories.

But these are the good old days too! And there are still great shows...

For the best of the old and the new I suggest Neil Youngs Bridge School Benefit.
One year I saw Brian Wilson, Nora Jones, Dave Matthews, Jerry Lee Louis ( who blew everyone away, totally unexpected, Los Lobos, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Emmy Lou Harris, Good Charlotte, Bright Eyes. Last year had 9 inch nails, Foo Fighters, Brian Wilson, CSNY, Neil and Peggy Young, Dave Matthews and more.

60 bucks for a 6 hour show and all the money goes to help severly disabled children.

The spirit lives on!

muddy waters

sam you probably met my folks... rick danko was another who lived round there in the canyon, think the band played and recorded the second album in L.A.

original poster-lotta hendrix video to be found, monterey in 67, there's video from some european television stuff in 68, woodstock among others from 69, and berkeley and more from 70. another good bet is the classic albums documentary for electric ladyland, there's some live footage in that. there are also so many hendrix show tapes of good quality, i used to collect them, winterland '68 is an example of kick ass, very tight but also improvisational performance...

C

Chamba

One thing I always envy about the older tokers is that a lot of you were alive when a lot of great musicians

each generation has great musicians...some generations have more than others..perhaps in 30 year's time your kids will envy you because you got to see todays stars live on stage in their prime?

B

boo

back in 67 I worked with Jimi, Noel, and Mitch when they did a gig in Philharmonic Hall downtown...still have the poster they signed for me telling me to stay groovy...sweet memories