What's new

Diatomaceous Earth

loveseed

Has anyone tried using

Diatomaceous Earth as a silica supplement? If so does it work? It's really great for pest problems just curious how it can work as a stand alone silica additive to soil.​

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Has anyone tried using

Diatomaceous Earth as a silica supplement? If so does it work? It's really great for pest problems just curious how it can work as a stand alone silica additive to soil.​

Using DE outdoors is ok but indoors it's not a good idea. That stuff is something I don't want in my lungs. It's bad enough on my lungs just vaping. DE lasts and can be breathed into your lungs years later. Wear a mask and goggles when you mix substrates and never breathe the contents. Be careful with that stuff.

If breathed in, diatomaceous earth can irritate the nose and nasal passages. If an extremely large amount is inhaled, people may cough and have shortness of breath. On skin, it can cause irritation and dryness. Diatomaceous earth may also irritate the eyes, due to its abrasive nature. Google

mudballs

...soil is made of silt, clay, sand,etc...which have quartz...everyones homework assignment is find out what quartz is made of. No, you don't need an Si additive for soil grows