What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary of a hot White Rhino. 250w CFL DWC

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
White rhino havent seen this strain in a while.Used to be alot more people growing it when i first started growing.im subed :lurk:

-TheShortTexan-

White rhino havent seen this strain in a while.Used to be alot more people growing it when i first started growing.im subed :lurk:

Thanks for jumping in here Tleaf. The more the merrier! :thank you:

Talk about a BUSHY strain. She's not one I see often. Supposed to be a hard hitter... We will see...

-TheShortTexan-

I grow in coco, hempy style, so the high temps were not
as harmful as that found with DWC, but I stopped flowering
in summer because the results were lackluster at best.

Hydroguard is unknown to me, I'll look into it.

I've been thinking about Coco. I'm not familiar with the hempy style. I'm debating a 250 watt hps for the winter grow. Hydroguard is a root inoculant that adds beneficial bacteria to the reservoir. From what I understand they feed on the bacteria that cause root rot. I'm not sure if the process ADDS oxygen or not, but it's amazing stuff

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Glad to see your getting it figured out. I'm a old indoor grower by heart. That's my specialty and 20+yrs of knowledge. I can't do indoor grows at the time as you know only fun I'm getting is the hard outdoor growing/labor lol. I grew Nirvana WR heck probably 12yrs or longer ago and it was greater. There's no question with the lower temps things will get better. Just keep a good fan circulating the air and you'll be ok. I know what you mean about water. This water at my place is horrible. I'm having a lot of ph issues too. There's no way I could run indoors with this water. I've only had to use my water when I feed/nutes/fertilize. My rest from rain this yr. I lived in the Midwest back when I grew a lot indoors and had water problems up there also. Until I started buying RO water and everything was so much better. It's like a 180 from bad water to good water.....big difference RO water. Hey looking good friend keep up the good work

-TheShortTexan-

Glad to see your getting it figured out. I'm a old indoor grower by heart. That's my specialty and 20+yrs of knowledge. I can't do indoor grows at the time as you know only fun I'm getting is the hard outdoor growing/labor lol. I grew Nirvana WR heck probably 12yrs or longer ago and it was greater. There's no question with the lower temps things will get better. Just keep a good fan circulating the air and you'll be ok. I know what you mean about water. This water at my place is horrible. I'm having a lot of ph issues too. There's no way I could run indoors with this water. I've only had to use my water when I feed/nutes/fertilize. My rest from rain this yr. I lived in the Midwest back when I grew a lot indoors and had water problems up there also. Until I started buying RO water and everything was so much better. It's like a 180 from bad water to good water.....big difference RO water. Hey looking good friend keep up the good work

Thanks man! It was a major difference with RO water. Not having to change pH, EC is waaayyyyy more stable. Gonna give it another week or two before the switch. Depends on how tall those shoots get in the next week. Can't get too tall. That CFL won't reach too far down with it being so bushy. I stay in options outdoor threads a lot. You're not kidding about the work ya'll put in! :faint:

How many hours of light are you giving them? How big are you planning to go before you flower them? Maybe go 12/12 and scrog them as they stretch tor 3 weeks and keep the light close.
I hear pH rises with air bubbles. maybe that's why it is hard to control.
Best wishes.

-TheShortTexan-

How many hours of light are you giving them? How big are you planning to go before you flower them? Maybe go 12/12 and scrog them as they stretch tor 3 weeks and keep the light close.
I hear pH rises with air bubbles. maybe that's why it is hard to control.
Best wishes.

Thanks for stopping by!! Right now they are on an 18/6 regimen of light. I keep the hood as close as possible without the leaves growing into the bulb. SUPPOSIDLY there isn't too much stretch with this strain. But that wouldnt be a problem as they will have plenty of room in the tent. My plan is to veg them for an additional week (maybe 2) and then flip them to 12/12. I haven't had any pH issues since I switched off of tap water. And rather than build a screen I'm going to pull each bud away and tie them off to the sides of the res to keep them open and even

-TheShortTexan-

Filling out

Been another couple of days or so.
Things are progressing at a more noticeable rate. (More like what it should have been all along.)
They have actually used about 3.5 gallons of water/nutrients this week vs normally using about a half gallon or so. Im assuming its from the combination of changing over to RO water, having a stable pH, an EC that stays steadily dialed in to about 1.2-1.3 without much rising or falling, and keeping res temps doable with frozen water bottles.
It's no single detail but the accumulation of them all that makes the difference

But everyone else already knew that...

Anyways... still learning. Temps are still 84 with lights on. Good circulation. About 45-70% humidity swings. Usually doesn't get above 60%RH.

Res change tomorrow

picture.php

picture.php

-TheShortTexan-

Undergrowth

Undergrowth

Some pics of the undergrowth.
picture.php

picture.php

Getting dense below the canopy. Hard to get in there for a picture. Going to have to either defoliate or spread the shoots FAR apart so light will reach in from the top. I have an additional 45-60 watt (I'm not exactly sure) red and blue LED panel I intend on hanging from the back wall so that it shines from the backside into the undergrowth. Thoughts???

-TheShortTexan-

I also got the CalMag suppliment in yesterday. I plan on using it in tomorrow's res change. Has anyone had an issue before with it burning plants at full strength? It says 1tsp per gallon. I'm thinking of cutting that in half

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Never had cal mag burn anything tge actually love the stuff i would go with 3/4 strength...they seem pretty finw with out it imho.:tiphat:

-TheShortTexan-

I've heard that magnesium is a bud hardener. Not as in density but in vigor. That its a crucial element for flowering. I don't plan on using any other additives. Gonna start the cal mag today. Guess I'll try 3/4 strength

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Now it looks good man. Just stay on top of that under growth. You'll probably wanna remove at least the very bottom really small leaves. They'll start to yellow and die anyway....I'm talking just a few leaves or very lowest branch. It'll help air circulate underneath too. I don't like to remove a lot , but it's a preference thing.

-TheShortTexan-

Thanks! Yeah ill probably give them a trim under the canopy when I change out the nutrients tonight. Have you ever had any issue with cal mag burning your indoor plants WV?

-TheShortTexan-

I only keep asking because I had an issue previously in this grow, that didn't get documented , of some slightly yellow/dead/twisted edges and middles on some leaves. It didn't look like nute burn but wasn't quite a pale deficiency either. I chopped it up to lockout from weird ph ppm levels but since I'm not sure I'm weary of going full strength on the CALIMAGIC. Tleaf said he's never had any issues with it

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Well if your ph was outta wack it could be maybe even a Potassium def causing that. When your water is bad kinds tend to start screwing up. But I'd be careful at first with the Calmag....I'd go 1/2 strength or a tad higher the first watering. How old are those ladies ??? It's not that the Calmag would burn them as much as just seeing how they react. I used to fed WW and BB pretty strong with Calmag indoors and never burned them. I just wouldn't go full strength this 1st time. Really if you got a Magnesium/cal def instead of a Potassium K def from ph/ water issues I'd fed a 3/4 dose. I'm having some problems outdoors because my water I'm mixing my nutes in is so bad. But if you have pics of know what your leaves look like search Potassium def or Magnesium def and you'll maybe get a better idea if something got locked out because ph/water issues. Search those things if your leaves were white looking around the edges or burnt curled looking. But with RO water and steady ph you'll be ok. You might benefit from a flush with this RO water before you even add Calmag. Bad water causes SO many problems friend....I'm glad you got RO water now

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Have you flushed your res with some of the RO water ???? Do you use a good NPK fertilizer or 3 part NPK?? Your plants look good just trying to get a idea of your NPK. I'd say 95% of your problem was bad water before. If you feed with RO and keep your PH in the 5.8 - 6.0 and give suggested or even lower strength amounts of your NPK your feeding they'll get the nutes and do fine. Those are some nice plants I'm excited to see how it goes for ya !!!

-TheShortTexan-

I'm not sure what the N P K ratio is. It's General Hydroponics 3 part flora series. No other suppliments except hydroguard. These girls are about 40 days old. The deficiency got better before I even got the CALMAG in the mail. So what ever it was had to be from either pH causing nutrient lockout or salt buildup. I haven't flushed them actually... that's sounding like a good idea before I add anything else. Maybe clean up the reservoir really good and give them a couple days to clean out. I'm debating on whether to flip them to 12/12 in a week or two weeks. If I flush them I'll probably give them 2 more weeks. What do you think??

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Well you'd probably benefit from a flush. It can't see it hurting, then start back with you nutes & Calmag. Your gonna really be able to notice your plants getting all the nutes with good water and ph. It's really up to you on the 12/12.....are they 40days from seed or clone. Also how tall is the ceiling lol. Those are gonna probably get pretty tall....you can tie and things like that if you need though. I'd put some good RO water in that res a day or so flushing, and start fresh on your Cal and nutes. It's so much easier figuring out def with good RO water.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Lol sorry for my bad spelling....word checks killing me today. I don't know if I'd wait 2wks unless you have the space upwards. Those things will more than Likley go crazy when you go 12/12. But the extra wk could give you a bigger harvest....maybe not nessacarly though. I'd split it to 8 days or so, that's giving you 2-3 flushing and 5 days or so to start your Cal and nutes back. Your gonna be ok I think on these. I know you told me seems like but do you know the breeder of these WR??