What's new

Desperately need some electrician help..

dybert

I've pulled and reseated all the breakers...this all worked before switching all my ballasts to 220 yesterday. I think the problem is a weak poleon the main, so when I loaded up both poles equally with 220 it pops, but when I have it wired 120 it mustve been using mostly the Stronger pole. Does this make sense?

Danks2005

Pull your meter, swap the main breaker, check and tighten every single connection in your panel, push the meter back in and your done. Then if it trips again, you know you got issues and you need to get an electrician in there. I think that if there was a short on one of your branch circuits, that branches breaker should trip, not the main, usually though not always. I think you got a worn out breaker or a loose connection.

dybert

I just wanted to post an update...

It was indeed my main breaker that was bad, and as I suspected, only 1 bus of the main was actually really bad.

I found a lifelong friend that has a trusted electrician buddy... and last week him and I swapped out my plagued with problems Zinsco 100A panel, and I'm now running a brand new 40 space 200A square D panel. I have not have a single electrical problem since it was installed, and I can now run all my appliances, with all my lights on ;)

Thanks everyone for the input, and happy growing!

madpenguin

last week him and I swapped out my plagued with problems Zinsco 100A panel

There's your problem. That's a shit panel.

And yea, your previous post where you stated that one pole of the main was showing signs of wear was the correct diagnosis along with your explanation of switching to 240v ballasts.

For future reference, try not to suggest pulling the meter Dank.... The POCO does mind and will fine you heavy if they catch you doing it. Not only that, there can be a risk of serious injury when pulling or placing a meter. I've seen it happen and it's not pretty.

Only a qualified person should be messing with live power. I'll leave it up to the reader to determine what constitutes a "Qualified Person"....

madpenguin

last week him and I swapped out my plagued with problems Zinsco 100A panel, and I'm now running a brand new 40 space 200A square D panel.

I missed this at first. If you didn't do a full blown service upgrade then you have a serious problem on your hands now. The conductors that attach to your service drop or lateral and then go into your meter and then on towards your new panel are more than likely only rated for 100A. But now your 200A main will allow 200A on those conductors that are only rated for 100A. You also need to make sure the meter is rated for 200A.

You really, really need to use 2/0 conductors from the drop to the panel else you have a problem. That REALLY requires a qualified person to do.

This is why I stress "Qualified Person". A "Qualified Person" would have known to replace the service entrance conductors or stick with a new 100A panel or install a 100A outside disconnect before the main 200A panel.

I am in no way knocking your friend or yourself, just merely trying to impart the severity of the situation. Your setup prime for an overload situation.

PharmaCan

Veteran
MP speaks the truth. If your service drop or the PowCo wires are undersized you're just asking for big problems!

Call your power company. They are easy to work with and actually very helpful.

PC

dybert

I missed this at first. If you didn't do a full blown service upgrade then you have a serious problem on your hands now. The conductors that attach to your service drop or lateral and then go into your meter and then on towards your new panel are more than likely only rated for 100A. But now your 200A main will allow 200A on those conductors that are only rated for 100A. You also need to make sure the meter is rated for 200A.

You really, really need to use 2/0 conductors from the drop to the panel else you have a problem. That REALLY requires a qualified person to do.

This is why I stress "Qualified Person". A "Qualified Person" would have known to replace the service entrance conductors or stick with a new 100A panel or install a 100A outside disconnect before the main 200A panel.

I am in no way knocking your friend or yourself, just merely trying to impart the severity of the situation. Your setup prime for an overload situation.

Nope, the electrician (he's licensed) checked the leads, and they're the same exact leads he pulls for 200A service. He was absolutely sure they would be fine @ 200A

EDIT:

Just to be clear, he checked both the wires at the fly point on the roof, and the wires from the meter to the panel.

I'm also not pulling anything near 200A regardless. (last time I checked I was pulling around 60A with everything in the house on)

madpenguin

Nope, the electrician (he's licensed) checked the leads, and they're the same exact leads he pulls for 200A service. He was absolutely sure they would be fine @ 200A

EDIT:

Just to be clear, he checked both the wires at the fly point on the roof, and the wires from the meter to the panel.

Ok.... Just checkin'... ;)

I find it rather unlikely that 2/0 CU or 4/0 AL is running from the drip loop to your panel when a 100A panel was being used previously. Those wire sizes come from table 310.15(B)(6) which is more loose than 310.16....

Again, I've meet alot of electricians in my day and I can all but guarantee you that you don't have 2/0 CU or 4/0 AL.... A lot of electricians use #4 AL for a 100A subpanel and the minimum size required by the NEC is 1/0 AL.....

I'm also not pulling anything near 200A regardless. (last time I checked I was pulling around 60A with everything in the house on)
Now I'm really going to seem argumentative, and I'm not trying to be, but that doesn't matter. If you have a 200A Main, then you MUST size all upstream conductors accordingly...

dybert

I do indeed have 4/0 AL...

My house was "built well" it just had a crappy panel. I have 14" studs, too, ;)

madpenguin

No shit..... All be damned. All is well then. Strangely curious that one would overkill and waste money on wire size when not needed but then again, extremely anal people do that on occasion...

Good to hear.

dybert

No shit..... All be damned. All is well then. Strangely curious that one would overkill and waste money on wire size when not needed but then again, extremely anal people do that on occasion...

Good to hear.

Yeah I was pretty surprised... and we even talked about putting in an external 100A disconnect, but he was certain that the correct size wire for a 200A service was used. (which is a win for me) :)