What's new

Desert Southwest Growers Union

Bumble Buddy

dongle69 said:
The highest useful leaf temperature is 76 degrees. For every degree of leaf temperature over 76 degrees, a plant loses 10% of its photosynthetic ability.
As far as a maximum leaf temperature is concerned, 86 degrees is the absolute max. At 86 degrees, a plants’ stomata close.

That quote is from dongle69's big defunct grow thread, I think its true but not totally certain, I've had plants growing well in some really hot conditions, but never had the proper equipment to check. Anyhow, I think its probably a good idea to keep the leaf surface temperature at 76°F/24.4°C.

Got an infrared thermometer to check, found that the leaf surface temperature at the canopy top was ~76°F at an ambient room temperature of ~80°F (ambient actually lower probably, temp sensor near hood)), that is with a large amount of convective air circulation and exchange. I thought there would be a greater difference, I'm glad I have been able to check the temperature because I think I've probably been running hot in the past. The thing is really handy around the grow room, great for getting the exact temperature range for my improvised seed propagator (glass jar with water in bottom and paper towel stuck to side with lid ajar, set on top of a fluorescent light fixture ballast :headbange) and for seedlings. I was even able to see that the top of my quick drying unit (aka stereo reciever/amplifier) has a lot of temperature variation and can now easily tailor the drying speed :biglaugh:

Anyhoo, time to prepare for summer; took the ballast off the hook on the ceiling put it in a vented weather resistant container outside, routed the plug and lamp cord through PVC elbows in the wall and container. :yes: That reduced temps by about 5°F :yes: gonna put the separate fan in for external reflector hood cooling when it warms up more.

bluepeace

so I went on my camping trip! The weather was great. I found an old cabin about 20 miles from any drivable road. It also has a nice running stream and old stone/earthen water tanks. The strangest thing is this is in the tan brown desert, drops into a canyon opens up and black dirt looks like compacted black Iowa dirt. I threw out some beans from a strawberry cough female that got hit hard with hashberry pollen. The area around the cabin is glowing green with natural grass just a guess maybe (6,8 acres). All beans got planted on the river bank area! We'll see.

That quote is from dongle69's big defunct grow thread, I think its true but not totally certain, I've had plants growing well in some really hot conditions, but never had the proper equipment to check. Anyhow, I think its probably a good idea to keep the leaf surface temperature at 76°F/24.4°C.

Got an infrared thermometer to check, found that the leaf surface temperature at the canopy top was ~76°F at an ambient room temperature of ~80°F (ambient actually lower probably, temp sensor near hood)), that is with a large amount of convective air circulation and exchange. I thought there would be a greater difference, I'm glad I have been able to check the temperature because I think I've probably been running hot in the past. The thing is really handy around the grow room, great for getting the exact temperature range for my improvised seed propagator (glass jar with water in bottom and paper towel stuck to side with lid ajar, set on top of a fluorescent light fixture ballast :headbange) and for seedlings. I was even able to see that the top of my quick drying unit (aka stereo reciever/amplifier) has a lot of temperature variation and can now easily tailor the drying speed :biglaugh:

Anyhoo, time to prepare for summer; took the ballast off the hook on the ceiling put it in a vented weather resistant container outside, routed the plug and lamp cord through PVC elbows in the wall and container. :yes: That reduced temps by about 5°F :yes: gonna put the separate fan in for external reflector hood cooling when it warms up more.

you know what also helps you maintain lower temps using hard pipe ducting for everything versus that bendy crap ya got there good way to think of ducting is to imagine water flowing through it would water naturally flow through it if not then you gotta problem and the black ducting coming down there i gurantee water wouldnt flow down that bad boy very easily or more than likely just not at all

oh and your "tailored" drying method really isnt that hot either drying your pot using extra warmth is a bad idea makes for harsh smoking medicine makes it about worthy of bubble hash or butter it's a shame to see your good pot turn into something horrible i'm guily of it myself live and learn if i happen to accidentally snip off a branch or something take a lil taster i dry it out on top of my cable box as well but my whole harvest oh no that would be almost murder hang em till the stem breaks but is still somewhat tough then jar em up or seal a meal em :)dependiong on how dry they are when they're getting stowed for curing

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say 'I want to see the manager.'
William S. Burroughs

ah yes another william s burroughs fan i prefer my quote of his myself but all so true i like the beat authors in general also like bukowski another favorite of mine real dark

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say 'I want to see the manager.'
William S. Burroughs

ah yes another william s burroughs fan i prefer my quote of his myself but all so true i like the beat authors in general also like bukowski another favorite of mine real dark

Mmmmm Bukowski, Henry Miller, Burroughs, all amazing! :respect:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
:tiphat: whats up rubber ducks lol stopn by to say hey

in the pic are 3x Gunk- NorCal Goo x Deep Chunk
3 Chem4
3 Sugar Shack
3 Decapation - pre98 bubba kush x whitemustang
i have the pre98 bubba coffe pheno
an 2 more decaps in 2 liter bottels the rest are 1 gal bags FFOF soil. under 1k hps in air cooled hood temps max out 81-2 lights on 65-6 lights out.
plants @24 days since fliped 12/12 :rtfo:

have 4 pure kush [fm] x purple kush x deep chunk [m]
that are female 1 male from seed. not in the pic but in my grow log

brotha GreenLion created the cross

puff puff passn :smoke out:

Bumble Buddy

you know what also helps you maintain lower temps using hard pipe ducting for everything versus that bendy crap ya got there good way to think of ducting is to imagine water flowing through it would water naturally flow through it if not then you gotta problem and the black ducting coming down there i gurantee water wouldnt flow down that bad boy very easily or more than likely just not at all

oh and your "tailored" drying method really isnt that hot either drying your pot using extra warmth is a bad idea makes for harsh smoking medicine makes it about worthy of bubble hash or butter it's a shame to see your good pot turn into something horrible i'm guily of it myself live and learn if i happen to accidentally snip off a branch or something take a lil taster i dry it out on top of my cable box as well but my whole harvest oh no that would be almost murder hang em till the stem breaks but is still somewhat tough then jar em up or seal a meal em :)dependiong on how dry they are when they're getting stowed for curing

Hey Billy I wouldn't be able to move the light up and down with rigid ducting, I move the reflector over a distance of about 4' depending on conditions. The duct runs are short enough, and the fan sized so that the bends really don't affect the static pressure; also, you can't see them but there are some "S" rigid duct pieces to support the duct at the curves, the airflow impedance through the system is lower than it might appear; my garden enjoys ample fresh air and circulation and the canopy is a perfect temperature, is yours? ;)

Maybe you were just being ironic by saying that my quickdrying method is not so "hot"? well you're right, it isn't. :biglaugh: Thanks to the infrared thermometer I can adjust the temperature precisely, it works really well for samples, I can dry them reliably and consistently over a period of about 48 hours- they have been coming out tasty. :yummy:

So much so that I just harvested the first one of this batch, which is now hanging in my drying room- then to trim- then to bags/slow dry- then to jars burping/curing :jump::drum:

Quickdried sample of Original Haze X Skunk #1, no harshness, burns like full on incense:
picture.php

Grizz

Veteran
damn bumble that looks tasty fo sure. good point about adjusting your lights. the hard ducting is hard to use when lowering and raising your lights, i just run extra big fans to compensat for bad flow through the flex.

damn dirty girl ,is that what u really look like naked????

Maj. glad to see ya drop in, garden looks dank as always, sounds like u runnung some new cuts sinse we last heard from ya.

Bruja64

S shack

S shack

Hey Maj P~
Whenever you have time, would you mind sharing a bit about Sugar Shack? Have heard about it before, but would like more input about this strain.

I harvested all my AD & LS. As always both grew beautifully. Only one smallish AD---think that was my fault---I topped her and I knew they don't like that(don't know what I was thinking when I did it).
Other than that, I am totally thrilled with this grow.

Next up: SSHxAD (may have to wait a few months before starting that one), and more AD & LS. Hope I have enough room for the SSHxAD...my have to LST all over the room. lol!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your continued support.
:ying: