What's new

Deputies' ruse fails to hold up in court

Agent-Smith

SEARCH RULING: Police can't use child welfare inquiry as a trick to enter a home
By Todd Ruger

<!-- /PUBDATE -->SARASOTA COUNTY - Two detectives suspected a couple were growing marijuana in a home, but there was not enough evidence to get a search warrant.

<!--
AC =
--><!-- GRAY BOX ARTICLE CONTENT--><!-- /GRAY BOX ARTICLE CONTENT-->So they came up with another plan after learning the couple had a child.
The Sarasota County sheriff's detectives went to the home and claimed to be with the Florida Department of Children and Families, and said they wanted to go into home to check out an anonymous tip about their child's safety.
The couple let the detectives in, and eventually they found 36 marijuana plants and drug paraphernalia.
But a judge who heard about the ruse last week threw out of court all the evidence the deputies found inside Kennedy's home.
The felony cultivation of cannabis charge against Kennedy, 29, is still pending, but the ruling cripples the case and underscores how the law protects homes from warrantless police searches.
Prosecutors argued that Kennedy gave consent to the deputies to search his home, and even had the deputies wait outside for five minutes so he could "tidy up" his home in the 3200 block of Williamsburg Street.
Law enforcement officers are allowed to use some deception to get a homeowner to agree to a search of their home. But without a warrant, the state must show that any search was based on the homeowner's voluntary consent to the search.
Circuit Judge Deno Economou ruled that the deputies told Kennedy they had the legal authority to enter his home, so Kennedy was not in a position to voluntarily consent.
Pretending to be from DCF takes deception to a whole new level because it preys on a parent's worst fear of having their child taken from them, defense attorney Liane McCurry said.
"Is there any greater issue?" McCurry said. "To use that is horrifying."
In July, the deputies told Kennedy and fiancee that they were there for DCF to check on an anonymous tip about a 12-year-old child living in unfit conditions, court records state.
But there was never a tip about that, and at no time were they acting with DCF. The couple have only a 9-year-old daughter, and they said she was at a friend's house.
Kennedy asked them to wait before coming in so he could put the family dog in a contained area, McCurry said in court records.
Once inside the house, the detectives could immediately smell an odor consistent with a marijuana grow operation, noting a stronger smell in the kitchen.
The detectives eventually got a search warrant and later found the marijuana plants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
So it sounds like they went in the first time and smelled cannabis, then they left and eventually got a search warrant to come back and find the plants. So the evidence gathered to get the search warrant was acquired in an illegal manner which made the search warrant invalid.

After all that, I would be moving out of that county. I sure wouldn't want the cop who lost the case to have his eye on me.

Open Eyes

Cops are getting desperate now. This is pretty sad and makes a mockery of the justice system where cops will do anything illegal to get the desired results. Even if it means trampling all over ones rights.

I am sure the cops argued what they did was legal. These cops should have their badges revoked and then thrown out of the police force.

same thing almost happened to a friend of mine. Only someone broke in his house, he wasnt there, his alarm went off. Cops were called they get to an empty house, so they look around and realize we know who ownes this house, so they do alittle extra looking around find 2 zips. They leave, get a warrant and come back to find 2 zips. His case got dropped also...

cops should be fired for stuff like this. i mean lying about being from child protective services? that should be a felony. these piggies should be in a jail cell getting their bread buttered.
nice try boys!

J

JackTheGrower

cops should be fired for stuff like this. i mean lying about being from child protective services? that should be a felony. these piggies should be in a jail cell getting their bread buttered.
nice try boys!

Here in My county they had a Medical Cannabis Person with a valid rec. go buy some cannabis from a place selling only to approved and varified members and then they got the warrant and raided the man's house in the middle of the night.. Outside in the cold in his underwear as photographers snapped pictures they put him in the car and destroyed the mans credibility in the community.

Once the truth was discovered that the "BUY" was legal they said they disagree with the court.

Now that the truth is out the charges have been dismissed but they wonder why they need to pay damages.

I read $2 Million and he wants to open back up..

Agent-Smith

Why deputies' DCF lie deserved to be tossed<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var collab_title = 'Lyons: Why deputies' DCF lie deserved to be tossed';</SCRIPT><!-- /HEADLINE --><!-- MAIN PHOTO --><!-- /MAIN PHOTO --><!-- BYLINE -->

By Tom Lyons

<!-- /BYLINE --><!-- PUBDATE -->
<!-- /PUBDATE -->Law enforcement administrators should note the court ruling that says a lie Sarasota County sheriff's investigators told to get into a house, without a warrant, violated the residents' rights.

<!--
AC =
--><!-- GRAY BOX ARTICLE CONTENT--><STYLE>.art_main_pic { width:250px; float:left; clear:left; }</STYLE><!-- /GRAY BOX ARTICLE CONTENT-->I hope most also see that Circuit Judge Deno Economou was right to throw out the evidence that search revealed.
Sheriff's investigators on that case suspected a couple were growing marijuana at their home, but had no evidence to justify seeking a search warrant. So, instead, they gained entry by tricking the residents with a lie.
And not just any lie. Claiming to be working with the Department of Children and Families, they said they were there to check on the welfare of a child.
That was entirely made up. The couple has a daughter, but there was no report of neglect or abuse of any kind on her or any other child.
I'll admit I've enjoyed some almost legendary police ruses, including a creative one, based on fact, portrayed in "Sea of Love." In that movie, New York detectives make numerous felony warrant arrests, conveniently, after convincing targeted arrestees that they are being specially invited to a Yankees "fan appreciation" breakfast. Al Pacino was great at pretending to be baseball broadcaster and former player Phil Rizzuto.
Far more serious are lies designed to make a criminal suspect think his accomplices are about to spill the beans, leading him to confess first in hopes of getting the best deal. I have no objection to that, either.
But the DCF lie? That's creepy, and wrong.
What parent wouldn't have qualms saying no to law officers with child welfare concerns? Even if parents thought they had a choice, saying no to a child protection team wanting in is an almost sure way to convince them they were dealing with an unfit parent.
Allowing officers to impersonate child welfare agents would mean they would almost never need evidence of wrongdoing to search any home where parents live. Unless parents want to risk losing their kids, they'd almost have to give up a basic constitutional right.
Real DCF investigators should object to that scam most of all, because they want parents to trust and allow them in. A DCF spokesman, Alan Abramowitz, didn't want to criticize any law officers, but did say his agency has worked hard in recent years toward a more family friendly image. The intent is building trust through more cooperation with parents, when possible.
The last thing DCF needs, I'd say, is for parents to wonder if child welfare workers are actually lying cops running a scam.
No law officer should have trouble understanding the harm that does. It is the same harm done by creeps who impersonate cops and so undermine real law officers by creating public doubts about who is and isn't real.
Sheriff Tom Knight acknowledged Wednesday that the court ruling makes sense. Knight said deputies have been told not to use the ruse again.
That's good. Pretending to be with DCF was not a clever or cute trick. It was destructive fraud that violated rights.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I hope he does. It wouldn't surprise me if lawyers have called him already trying to get the case. It seems it would be a fairly easy settlement. Leo having to pay out for something like this during county budget shortfalls will surely send a message.

here in this state, telling overzealous DHS(department of human services) to fuck off is pretty common practice. all you have to do is let them see the child through a closed screen door, or window, if the child is not obviously malnourished or bruised up, they can do absolutely NOTHING to you. it may be different in sarasota, but im sure its very similar. dont let them in, if they have a warrant, then they will kick in the door. and fixing that door will be the least of your problems if they have a warrant. to hell with letting ANYONE in my place that hasn't been invited by me!

B

Blue Dot

I hope he does. It wouldn't surprise me if lawyers have called him already trying to get the case. It seems it would be a fairly easy settlement. Leo having to pay out for something like this during county budget shortfalls will surely send a message.

Unfortunately cops many times have a sort of "immunity" if the cops can prove they were acting in "good faith".

The problem is to most cops doing anything to catch a criminal is considered "good faith" because they believe their job is to catch criminals no matter what.

Agent-Smith

I didn't want to say much before but these two stories are about me :frown: It was an unbelievably lucky break that I got off on those charges and I am using my "free pass" to change my situation and am moving to California in March to pursue a career in the field.

BTW, I am not sueing anyone. I figure I was lucky enough to get off scott free without trying to push it any further. :)

Directrix

why wouldn't you sue them for that?
you need to make an example of them to show they can't stop around on our rights.
you're fucking crazy man. it's not even about the money, you need to prove something here!

edit: I'm not even usually one that's for someone suing anyone, but this is the time, if any!

I guess I don't know all the circumstances though, so who am I to say something like that?

Agent-Smith

why wouldn't you sue them for that?
you need to make an example of them to show they can't stop around on our rights.
you're fucking crazy man. it's not even about the money, you need to prove something here!

edit: I'm not even usually one that's for someone suing anyone, but this is the time, if any!

I guess I don't know all the circumstances though, so who am I to say something like that?

I am trying to put the incident behind me, and by trying to sue them, it would tangle me up in more bullshit legal stuff I don't want right now. I could still sue them in the future if I wanted to, but I probably won't. :biggrin:

R

REDEYE_420

Pretending to be from DCF takes deception to a whole new level because it preys on a parent's worst fear of having their child taken from them, defense attorney Liane McCurry said.
"Is there any greater issue?" McCurry said. "To use that is horrifying."

PAH! And they call US criminals! Skanky PO-PO! And to use someones child in the whole thing is terrible, that guy must have shit his pants! Come on KARMA, go and take a big bite out of the LEO's ass!

FUCK THE PO-PO!

Herbasaurus

ICMag Donor
Agent Smith,

I can appreciate your feelings about not wanting to entangle yourself in more legal BS but you really should take some time after this settles out to think about it.

Lawsuits like this do act as a deterrent for ever more "creative" policing.

I am sure that you could get a good attorney on a contingency fee that won't cost you anything. Given the judges finding of fact and ruling I seriously doubt this would go to trial or even depositions.

A court case is often also a good protection against police harassment trying to get even while you are waiting to move. Even a relatively modest settlement can help with your relocation expenses.

Just be aware that if you do consider filing suit that most claims against government entities must be filed in a very short period of time. It varies from location to location and can be very short as in 30/60/90 days.

Give it some thought and possibly weigh the potential inconvenience with the possible increased protection, the future police deterrence the next time they get creative and help with your re-settlement expenses.

Best Wishes.