What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Denver proposes raising pot sales tax

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Denver wants more affordable housing, so they are proposing raising the sales tax on Cannabis purchases to pay for it. The tax structure presently looks as follows:

1. 15% excise tax the grower pays (based on avg retail cost of marijuana products).

2. 10% special marijuana state sales tax.

3. 2.9% state sales tax on everything

4. 3.5% (now) Denver sales tax. Any taxing entity can charge what they want or even charge nothing.

The tax on marijuana is at least 25% or more depending on which city you purchase in. One of the goals was to stop the black market sales so I am wondering what this will do to black market sales. I was afraid the politicos would turn marijuana sales into a cash cow to pay for all their pet projects. I have a MMJ card so my purchases don't presently pay a high tax rate. I am wondering how long MMJ will be kept separate because MMJ sales don't make that much money for the politicos.

DenverPost.com