What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Delaying maturation

O

OG Tree Grower

Does anyone on here dabble with delaying the maturation of flowers by a week or two? Even if you have only had limited success I'd still like to share ideas

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Compared to seeded crops sensi crops take longer by proxy, that has always been the comparative I've used.

You can use a different light regiment. I find 11 on 13 off finishes faster than 12 on 12 off so perhaps a longer daytime period will extend flowering a bit.

I am happy the way my stuff finishes.

O

OG Tree Grower

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I mean delaying maturation in the last few weeks to increase yield.

Like keeping a stress free environment for the entire grow
13on/12off light cycles
Raising your lights a few inches the last two weeks

H

Huckster79

Full strength co2 can delay maturation. I miscalculated my last round got dates mixed up, all the sudden realized they were in week 8 when I thought week7. Grabbed the scope and they were not ready to cut. My gg4 went a good week n a hAlf if not two over the boiler plate 8 the strain calls for, distribution read later that backing down co2 could have sped them up at end

O

OG Tree Grower

Huckster - while I have never played with co2 levels specifically to delay maturation, I did find maintaining co2 levels to the end does increase yields. So naturally I keep it at 1200 ppm right to the end and always have. Maybe it does play a small part.

Unfortunatly I have not found a way to always delay maturation, the best I can do is half the time at best and it's usually on stress free runs, just recently I added the 13 hour light cycle to see if I could get more stable results. Either way I don't think the extra 2 week s time and power is worth it but it's been an ongoing experiment I've had for years and I'd like to put it to rest this year and chose a light cycle to stick with

H

Huckster79

Yeah I keep the co2 right to end as well but a fair amount of research says cutting it back helps maturation, I agree I think two extra weeks is asking a lot, well two weeks past trichs showing done not the calendar. Maybe you could if you had so,e major couch lock lovers! :)

O

OG Tree Grower

Co2 is likely part of it for sure. But that alone won't insure delayed maturation, just like most things I think it all has to come together to happen right, I just haven't figured out exactly how.

No, I've tried that. You don't gain much weight, if any going over ripe. You need to delay the last two weeks, then still harvest according to trichs to gain weight

H

Huckster79

Idk the science to it obviously most of us don't or we we'd all know this answer. but wouldnt it be more efficient just to do all you can to the girls to get max yield on their kind of biologically hardwired time frame?

H

Huckster79

That was kinda a hypocritical post of mine, asking why don't you just stick with status quo way, I'm always theorizing some crazy idea to make things better in unorthodox way, my apologies for thàt.

O

OG Tree Grower

Dunno, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

If I can consistently produce delayed maturation and consistently get 10% more yield then maybe not.

So far tho, yeah it's a waste of time and a crap shot at best

H

Huckster79

Like my double veg theory, but you know if there aren't those creative folks willing to try things that custom says is wrong or cud never work we'd still b Hunter gatherers. Can you imagine e first idiot that topped a plant? Tell me how that makes Intuitive sense? If you didn't know better it would make no sense at all, same with defoliation. Took someone breaking rules or trying u heard of method to gain us anything. Keep up the search

H

Huckster79

Had an idea for you this am... contingent on one answer. I've never grown outdoors but do our outdoor brothers seem to have about 8 weeks from moment flowering signs are noticed? If you don't have a perpetual room what about doing this? Find out strains homeland and looking into nature's light cycles there and instead of the full flip to 12/12 mimic it's homelands gradual change in light... would this trigger flowering over a bit longer and if so would that first period of gradually entering flower add more weight to end? Or just delay harvest with same results? Idk myself but thought I would throw that out there

O

OG Tree Grower

Thanks for the idea man I appreciate the input but that's not the goal.

H

Huckster79

Oh shoot yea I forgot that post where you specifit'd that.... darn short term memory not the greatest lately can't figure out why.... I puff and poster on where it went and more I do the worse it seems to get, I'm thinking it's the pondering it that is messing up so gonna stop pondering get that. Lol

Last edited:
O

OG Tree Grower

Back in 1990 this thread would have soared. 5 different ppl would be trying to reproduce the same results. Today everyone is to busy trying to find Girl Scout cookies or ha kush and argueing over crap we proved a decade ago. We were pioneers of the industery 20 years ago, and we hardly moved forward since. Sad sad day :(

H

Huckster79

OG, I feel your frustration. I wish I had more to offer you. I'm not a long seasoned grower but very intereststed in advancing the technique. I find frustration When I research things so much "knowledge" is just old wives tales passed down based on zero science, or based on nugget of science with layers of baseless add on info. When I got into it i thought the growing community would be full of more adventurous types willing to push envelope or try unprecedented technique, but I often find anger at anyone trying somethimg that is different, seen people tell others that are successful but do things differently than boilerplate wisdom that it's impossible they are sucesful as they aren't following the old rules...

LIke the humidity, heat and vpd discussion we were involved in. I love differing opinions we learn from them, I hate anger. One of reasons I traded booze in for this....

I now no longer believe any old rule of growing unless it makes common sense, has basis is science and such...

I think maybe we should start the quest for your answer in finding out scientifically what causes maturation. Maybe piggy back off non cannabis studies. If it's a genetic countdown clock without altering DNA we probably are sunk but if it's enviornmental factors of any type it's probably doable.

We gotta push envelope not break rules and fail at it or cannabis will never be greater than it is today.... had others not broken the rules not tried new things we would still be smoking the herb our grandfather's toked....

O

OG Tree Grower

Huck thanks, back on OG there was a guy who said he could in fact delay maturation. He had a large following of ppl that are still on this site today. I see lots of old handles I remember from OG, they just don't seem to post much and I can see why. The internet isn't what it usto be when it first came out. We were an elite underground crew smashing records and doing diarys on huge tree grows,getting 2 pounds a light of old street lamp hps bulbs, wicked experiments and just killing it in general. I think I'm gonna step away from the Internet again and focus on the things in life that matter. Good luck in your future endeavours ! Stay safe

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am the rookie in the group and can only share experiences on other crops.

Citokinin (asc. nodosum) at high ppms will push grapes to not mature as fast and extend the point of harvest.

Applying citokinin and going back to veg lighting, should push a couple of more internodes and allow you theoretically to get three or four more weeks. As long as trichome were not getting too colored, might work!

GreenHands13

I think to delay flower maturation you would be best to prevent early senescence through plant health. Not easy but I'm sure it can be done.