What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dehumidifier Height????

LJ farming

Is there a standard or correct height that a dehumidifier should be placed at? ie. Below the canopy, canopy level, hang the damn thing from the ceiling? On my current grow I just built a stand to get it high enough to drain into a 5 gallon bucket outside the sealed tent.

Probably a dumb late night stoner question but maybe not?

troutman

Seed Whore
Humidity would be highest at ground level. ;)

I have my dehumidifier outside the grow tent where the inline fan blows out the air.

LJ farming

Now I remember the fact that water is heavier than air from middle school. Damn that was a pretty dumb question. Thank you for helping me out of my haze Troutman. I believe I will go smoke a joint or 6 and try to figure out all the other simple things I have forgot over the years.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Humidity would be highest at ground level. ;)

I have my dehumidifier outside the grow tent where the inline fan blows out the air.

Mines the same
Click image for larger version  Name:	20211216_055106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.0 KB ID:	18016210

Bargain shop clothes rail, cut to suit. Hangs by bungee cord. Three loops. One each end of the handle, but you will never match them perfectly. So a third in the middle, that you slide towards the side that needs a bit more lifting. I also have loose cable ties, as usual, to catch it falling if all else fails. In practice, it's the ties that first suspend it, while you put it together. Getting it out your hands, while you hoist it a little further by adding the bungee.
The other bungee around it is is stop the bugger rattling. Along with gaffer tape at all the reservoirs contact points.

The difference in vibration is huge, but still isn't everything. It replacement is waiting just off camera.

LJ farming

So I am guessing and probably incorrectly that having it outside the room is to increase your grow space? Or does this make it perform better? Im stoned again and can’t figure it out for sure damnit.

LJ farming

6DC8A8DE-884A-4ED4-8697-3284D366F326.jpeg
I end up loosing about 6”x3’ of canopy plus the entire area of the dehumidifier. However if I move it to ground level I believe on the next grow that I could train the canopy right over the top of it. However I am thinking perhaps you guys keep them outside the tent for a different reason?

29A2C376-5C8B-4AF2-8367-B79EE188F6A2.jpeg

troutman

Seed Whore
I have mine outside to increase grow room and also I wouldn't want dry air blowing directly
on any one plant. It also generates a some heat and would prefer to keep that out of the tent
as well. By the time the air re-enters the grow tent via the vents on the other side of the room
the air is probably mixed.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I would think a dehumidifier would work best at higher placements because with more heat in the air, the dew point needed for the humidifier to do its work it's raised, so easier to obtain and work efficiently on by the dehuey. But, as long as the dehuey is proper size for the grow as it isn't overworked.. all placements should work.

LJ farming

FE your dehuey hanging, holding placing mechanism lets me know you and I could definitely be friends because 90% of the things I try in life start out a lot like yours. Lots of times they end up staying like that for a looooonnngg time too because if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

unfortunately I am unable to put the dehuey outside either of my tents because I am pumping Co2 into each of them so I have no ventilation at all in the LED tent just air circulation and in the HPS tent air is only pulled through the lights from outside to outside for cooling purposes. It would be great to have the extra room in the tent but I am incredibly over tents and hopefully after 1 more grow my actual room will be completely finished. 6’3” men weighing nearly 300 pounds and over 50 years should never own a tent because it’s just impossible to get anything done properly without taking half the damn day to do it or tearing the tent almost completely apart. Thank you for your input guys but I guess for now I will stick to my dehuey cable tied to 2 milk crates inside the tent.

Cheers,

LJ

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
With one grow left, It's probably not worth changing anything. You could of kept it's box though. To use as an external lung chamber. Air out the tent, through the box, and back in the tent again. Perhaps it's own tent would be better though, as it would loose some heat that way.

My new unit uses a third less power, through the use of an EC motor. To put some numbers to that, my pictured unit is 20L and uses 440w. The new one is 25L and uses 280w. Them watts are all heat and vibration. Soon, a new wave is coming. Screw compressors with EC motors and variable drive. The unit won't cycle on/off but instead it will turn up and down. Bringing slightly higher gains than my latest unit, which still cycles on/off though does have 2 or 3 fan speeds to works through. A total waste of the kit they assembled it with tbh, but hay... it's all we have available in the shops. The only place you will find screw compressors in our homes today, is in big fridges. Inverter drive they like to call it. Give it a couple of years and we will get them. They are in commercial units though, which is what we need anyway, as 25L is about a meter of green.

9DRAGONS

Some dehumidifiers have continuous run so if that is the case you need to make sure the drain pipe has a fall to a lower position where you can collect the run off. Small dehumidifiers normally have built in container take so you can have this anywhere but the smaller ones are not that powerful.

Three Berries

I have a bath exhaust fan that is meant to be put between rafters so it's narrow. Sits in the corner on the floor and feeds the air up a 4" duct hose to the top. There it blows out in a fan shape. Complete circulation so all is the same and it cools the lights too at the top. Quiet and only 25 watts takes up very little room.

You could duct air out to the dehumidifier outside the tent and then return the dry air back to the tent.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Some dehumidifiers have continuous run so if that is the case you need to make sure the drain pipe has a fall to a lower position where you can collect the run off. Small dehumidifiers normally have built in container take so you can have this anywhere but the smaller ones are not that powerful.

My new one has the usual tank, plus the usual drain out point, but a third option of interest. You can put a pump in the tank, where there is a 12v dc jack to power it based on the float. So the unit is actually providing you a 2.1mm dc jack and switching it for you to. Thus, it can pump out to any height, with the idea being, straight in the sink.

Meacodry brand. £300 though, for 25L
I'm really happy with it. It's especially good when things are dry already. My last box was a 20L and just ran all the time without getting me down to 50%. This thing gets me down to 45% easily, and switches off. Its almost twice as good in terms of daily extraction, but in absolute terms, the 20 couldn't even do it.

dehuHang.jpg

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought these were mounted high due to the heat they produce?. I have mine sitting in a corner but it's not a commercial unit. I use a 30 pint for a 10x12 room. It works fine keeping my room at 50%. It could go a bit lower to 40%. Id need to upgrade to go lower,

RockinRobot

If you have proper airflow in your tent it makes absolutely no difference whether you place it high or low, because your tent air should be relatively the same Rh everywhere. As for placing it outside means more room and IMHO better control. Main room has larger volume of air so the unit will have an easier time keeping a steady humidity and wont add a ton of unnecessary heat to the tent itself.