What's new

Deficiency in Coco (picture)

AloeRuss

Crown Jewel of the Legion
ICMag Donor
Most of my plants are green throughout and even the plants that has this mostly green but it is asking for attention so I would like to address it.

I use all HG line with their schedule.
Coco A and B I usually use 70 percent of what is recommended.
My EC never went over 900 (1.8)
PH is always 5.8 after the base is added.
SM90 is what I use (1ml a gal) that is not in the schedule.
Usually get 10 percent runoff.

This is the worst looking leave out of all that display it.
I do not have any animals lurking in the forest other then Gnats.
Their counts are going down very slowly.
But they are still there.

Your thoughts, porfavores.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 12

Mister_D

Veteran
You are over feeding, and as a result starting to see mag and very early calcium lockout. Dilute your mixture so it is between 1.2-1.5 EC (I personally never go higher than 1.2 the entire life cycle in any media). To speed recovery it would also be wise to pour nutes @ 1.2EC through each pot until a slurry test comes back between 1.5-1.8 EC. Then continue to feed at a lower rate. Coco is very fickle about it's CEC being met and maintained within a pretty tight range.

A slurry test is preformed by taking a small sample of media, and mixing it 50/50 with RO or distilled water. You then wait at least 20 mins (could be longer, but a minimum of 20 mins), then strain the water and test EC and PH. This will give you most accurate idea of what your roots are actually seeing nute and PH wise.

As for your gnat issue, up the SM90 to 10ml per gal. for a week or two until they are completely gone. Then continue to use it @ 5ml per gal. to prevent anything else from taking hold. Yes I know that's way over the amount recommended on the bottle, but trust me it works fantastic. The plants love it ;)

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Sounds good. I said I never went over 1.8 but that was once.
I usually do 60% of recommended base and about the same. May 70% on micros.
H and G support (2 different people) already yelling at me because I don't want to use their "normal" rate. Forget about aggressive.

My normal would be 1.6, so even if at this I am deffing...??
But I hear you.
I can forget their calculations and just give half on everything. I am not far from half already. Do you think it is going to help?

I just got me self a 6 GL jug of SM90, so I can go heavy (but that will raze me EC again. No?)

Another pic to look at. Everything around seems sexy and just two in the mid are ready to flip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 11

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Maybe I should just flash them with water and then half on everything.

(Why would house and garden come up with this nice color wallet size feed formulation, using which at 60% get your plants sick)
Could it have anything with water I am using?
I am friends with a guy who stuff his plants with 2.1 / 2.2 ever other day and growers this beautifull green and big trees with gorgeous flowers. I saw him do it waaay more then once.

Just in case - I use tap / AC-Humidifyer water. So it makes it Half tap Half RO I guess.

One of old Time member suggested I use a little bit of Epsom Salt. Is it time for that?

theother

Maybe I should just flash them with water and then half on everything.

(Why would house and garden come up with this nice color wallet size feed formulation, using which at 60% get your plants sick)
Could it have anything with water I am using?
I am friends with a guy who stuff his plants with 2.1 / 2.2 ever other day and growers this beautifull green and big trees with gorgeous flowers. I saw him do it waaay more then once.

Just in case - I use tap / AC-Humidifyer water. So it makes it Half tap Half RO I guess.

One of old Time member suggested I use a little bit of Epsom Salt. Is it time for that?
Keep your feeds around 1-1.3 ec, good luck with a two part base, it's less than ideal IMHO. As far as your friend goes is he in coco? That sounds like a peat/dirt every other type program. Genetics and environment can definitely be a factor in what plants can handle. THERE ARE SOMe cuts out there that can just take a beating, and come out looking dank.

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
We do the same strain but different medium.
He is using this stuff he calls observer (I don't know why). The actual material is made by Grodan. Material looks similar to what the clone cubes are made of. He just stuffs 3 gallon pots with it. Loves it. And does go 1200 every time he feeds.

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
But please. Him and his ppm is not my concern. He can grow in cow shit and dump 2.5 in there. It was just for convo sake.
He never grew in coco and this is my first, so if Coconutz, comes out and says do 1.1/1.2 I have to either have a good reason to prove he is full of himself or just do it and get it working again (he been secretly guiding my uneducated ass through this run and just about now I start to wonder if he choose a WRONG TIME TO SMOKE OUT AND FALL ASLEEP!!

Last edited:

Coconutz

Veteran
Looking good brother!
You could cut back a little.
Remember that coco and rockwool are totally different.
Coco is going to hold onto nutes. Thats why its best to go lightly...
When you tell us your ec, is that with the additives?
Your base should be somewhere between 5-8ml per gal.
Hopefully the additives dont make up much of your ec...

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Ah.. Yes Sir!
The numbers I gave all was for everything already mixed. (I watch this stuff like a hawk)
Starting week 4 in HG book = 10.5 Normal or 12 ml Aggressive. I went 7.5; I added SM90 2ml a gal. All that brought me to 860 (1.7?)
But the good news you don't have to talk me into giving less.
I will go 5 next feed easy...

Anything else I should twist, maestro?
Oh.. They want me to start giving 3.8 Bud XL - should I try at 2ml or just ignore it for now?

Coconutz

Veteran
Get them dialed before adding the pks.
They dont look like they need extra anything for now...
A lighter feed would probably be good!
How many times are you watering?
The sm90 isnt going to add anything measurable to the EC. Dont worry if it adds anything...
You can use it at 5ml until the gnats are gone

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Hey AR what brand of coco are you buying that comes with gnats? Are the gnats free or do you pay extra for them?

Hydropimp

Veteran
Pic of the whole plant and turn off the hps

I run h&g flakes in coco but I started with coco a/b

Cut the ec in half for a few waterings then start bumping
It up some ppl never go over 6mls of base and if you
Add additives give less base

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
I don't know if you can tell from the pick but I think I bounced nicely.
This is a photo of my smallest girl. Rest is big but have the same vigorous vibe to them.
Oh. 2 days into week 5
Very very bushy. A lot of nodes too.
I only feed 4ml of base a and b. Some SM90. Nothing else till next week. Top Shooter is waiting on the shelf :)

Coconutz, My Lord?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 16

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
This is your girl on the photo under your name!? What strain is she?
One day. One day I will be growing in coco like you. Everything will fall into place very rapidly.

I don't know if you can tell from the pick but I think I bounced nicely.
This is a photo of my smallest girl. Rest is big but have the same vigorous vibe to them.
Oh. 2 days into week 5
Very very bushy. A lot of nodes too.
I only feed 4ml of base a and b. Some SM90. Nothing else till next week. Top Shooter is waiting on the shelf :)

Coconutz, My Lord?

They are overfed bro. Take a pic without the hps. They are way too green; too much nitrogen. You can see one of the middle fan leaves are getting the claw.

Coconutz

Veteran
Id avoid the boosts.
There could still be a build up in the media.
Not sure if you ever checked the runoff.
If you were getting away with 4ml of each theres a good possiblility.
Anyhow... Glad you finally cut back!