What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deer meat mystery: 10 men 'violently' ill after wild venison meal

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
You know how expensive that is?way too rich for my blood.I really wanna try shark fin soup but that's even more expensive.

Shark fin, meh.

Saw a video of the results of harvest. The live, fin-less bodies
drifting aimlessly to the bottom of the cove, left to die without
pride.

You could see the confusion and helplessness in their drift.

Not for me.

Kill it outright if you want to eat it.

Venison is good, never had roadkill though.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shark fin, meh.

Saw a video of the results of harvest. The live, fin-less bodies
drifting aimlessly to the bottom of the cove, left to die without
pride.

You could see the confusion and helplessness in their drift.

Not for me.

Kill it outright if you want to eat it.

Venison is good, never had roadkill though.

the most disgusting harvest ever I've seen.......

W

Water-

Sharks nervous system s are so primitive that their spines twist as if swimming hours after you have cut off their heads and removed their intestones. It's pretty wild. I used to work on a trawler where I had to process sand sharks when they got caught in the net. I used to spend hours and hours cutting off sharks heads. Commercial fishing is intense. We sold the meat on the back of the spine. It was considered by catch. No one was happy to deal with them. Only used instead of wasting the life and time spent getting them in a box to ship to market. All commercial fishing involves barbaric activities. If you eat it than you are complicit. Killing and watching things die slowly is difficult and takes a certain level of psychological detachment if you don't want to to fall into sociopathy. I imagine soldiers in war to experience something similar. Killing is a job, it's not who you are. Kinda scary what people are capable of doing when we go to that mental space

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah,I don't understand why they just take the fin.that part doesn't make sense to me and I don't condone anything inhumane.

810FireFarm

if nothing happened for 5 days after it was not the venison in itself.

i dont know if a person could contract the CWD (Chronic wasting disease) deer/cattle can get but rare, but seems they would all have died from that....it is not a violent illness, they waste away to nothing and collapse

M

moose eater

Many folks in the north eat road-killed moose. If processed in a timely manner, there's nothing wrong with it. If bones shattered on impact, then clean the meat better when processing. Common practice. (*Mind you, it's a WHOLE lot cheaper to hunt with a .338 Win Mag than a Toyota..)

The illness involved in this case was either bacteria-generated, or had nothing to do with the venison at all. That's my current conclusion.

Green Squall

Many folks in the north eat road-killed moose. If processed in a timely manner, there's nothing wrong with it. If bones shattered on impact, then clean the meat better when processing. Common practice. (*Mind you, it's a WHOLE lot cheaper to hunt with a .338 Win Mag than a Toyota..)

The illness involved in this case was either bacteria-generated, or had nothing to do with the venison at all. That's my current conclusion.

Makes sense over a million deer are hit by cars a year. Only illegal in Nevada and California for some reason.

M

moose eater

Makes sense over a million deer at hit by cars a year. Only illegal in Nevada and California for some reason.

The Troopers or other local LE have kept regional/area-specific lists people can sign up for, to get called when there's a kill, and they're to go process it. If they can't go when they get the call (all hours of day or night), then the next person/group on the list gets a call.

For a while there was an outfit that had a contract with the State for such things, to remove the carcasses and process elsewhere, in order to provide for safer protocol, instead of folks standing on the side of an icy road for 2-1/2 to 4 hours cutting in the dark and cold.. But the economy has brought an end to that.

Here a person can't keep the animal they hit, unless State Troopers/LEO give the go-ahead (instead deferring to the road-kill list); some bone-headed legislators figured years ago that if we could keep the critter we killed, then we'd all be running into them on purpose, telling me the dumbasses had never hit a moose before. It's often an eye-opener.

I've hit three now, and my wife has hit one. The one I hit that didn't die or even get injured, was a 'tap,' on glazed wet ice, immediately after getting my truck back from killing the first one.

In the tap, she literally walked into -me-, taking off my driver's side-view mirror, and denting the front left fender notably, after I'd purposefully aimed for the ditch, unable to stop. She strolled right into me.. The bitch! (Larger cow).

Murphy; if you've just gotten your rig out of the body shop, a wreck is more apt to occur.

$10,000 to repair a totaled truck, versus $3 to $4 for a high-powered rifle cartridge... and the possibility of death from the collision? And the legislators apparently thought we'd be doing this shit on purpose?? :laughing:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$10,000 to repair a totaled truck, versus $3 to $4 for a high-powered rifle cartridge... and the possibility of death from the collision? And the legislators apparently thought we'd be doing this shit on purpose??

Incredible. Fucking morons,
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] the legislators, that is.
[/FONT]

armedoldhippy

Veteran
road-killed venison tastes just like the venison i shoot with my bow; except i leave out the dragging it two miles to the road down out of the mountains...:woohoo:

blastfrompast

Veteran
If it was the deer then I wouldn't be surprised if it ate something not sure if a dose of rat poison (binded to corn celulose) would taint the meat....but I do currently have a fucking doe that is OBSESSED with my garbage trailer...

Have to shoot the bitch with a bbgun on a weekly basis....trailer emptied ever friday morning.....LOVES the parchment paper that I make my medicated candy on....

Never seen a garbage eating deer when I have 80 acres of forage behind the house.... Perhaps its pissed cause i fenced off the garden....

armedoldhippy

Veteran
deer eat some strange things...or TRY to. i took a picture the other day of one gnawing on plastic 6-pack rings. WTF???:biggrin:

St. Phatty

deer eat some strange things...or TRY to. i took a picture the other day of one gnawing on plastic 6-pack rings. WTF???:biggrin:

I had a squirrel drink about 2/3 of a 16 ounce bottle of Safer Soap concentrate that I had in storage. It was obviously chewed through and mostly empty, but didn't get spilled on the shelf or stuff below.

shithawk420

Veteran
That's fucking disgusting and dangerous.never know what kinda diseases that roadkill have.that guy is plain old crazy and dumb

shithawk420

Veteran
the guy is a fucking biologist!?didnt see that coming.i guess he knows what hes doing but im not going over for dinner at his house.about the whale,i guess if it was fresh and not rotting i might try it