What's new

deep chunk really disapointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi DigitalHippy,

Difficult to reply, if I understand this correctly.

We may have different ideas of what is entailed regarding "a genetic hunt", "2-3 years of searching"....

In a few short months, I can grow out 50 plants of Deep Chunk from seed and compete quite favorably with most anything out there, I have been there, I have done that-

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=9409&highlight=2004

.... and I'm ready for a re-match, anytime. I'm even quite comfortable going up against any hybrid broadleaf anybody may have, let alone any pure old time Afghan stock that they don't.

Although it would be quite unconventional and most folks have been mistakenly inclined to try and work DC into their existing commercial program, I can show them how to grow the plant in a commercial manner, it is an option.

All this being said I understand that for some folks, they just won't dig the plant -even if they gave it a look which you seemingly have not maybe. The trade off is not worth it to many, I can dig it. How do you think I felt for decades growing the plant when there were always more commercially viable options on the table? - I have "clients" too you know, lol. I can't win em all, and I know you're not alone... I'll settle for you guys being outnumbered in your assessment - I believe you are, and that you always will be.

To pass judgment based on something that's a DC hybrid "but they look just like all the DC pics" is not quite on the level is it, to anybody with even a modicum of understanding of how this all works?

I don't mind the opinions, or critical insight at all man, I attempt to be honest with myself as well. But, lets get all of the cards on the table if you please, so these folks and myself can have an understanding as to the depth of your basic understanding too, or lack thereof - how many, what was involved in this DC selection that you traded a friend for, 2 of 100, 2 of 10? What did you do for 2-3 years exactly during this "genetic hunt" of yours?

You know, a lot of guys think they can look at a couple plants and have a full grasp of the value of a line, apparently, some guys even think they can grow out a hybrid that "looks like all the pics" etc, and, well, that's just not quite how it works.. -Tom

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
^^;)Like I said before....I had a DC cross that did not measure up. We all know that it has nothing to do with Tom's DC. You take a risk in crosses, sometimes you find that keeper...sometimes you just don't. Hunting for the right genes (for you) takes time and patience. But isn't that the fun we find in our hobby? The desire for a perfect strain...to keep hunting for it. New strains..suprises, let downs. That's how it goes. :)

A note on one of Tom's last statements... You really can find a cross that looks just like DC, but that's all...just looks.

Tom Hill

Veteran
I very much appreciate all of the very kind comments directed towards DC in this thread. But it is more complicated than "grow some real DC from Tom", that's not quite how it works either - though I wish it was.

I might grow 100 DC plants, 6 are frosty freaks, but only 3 are truly where it's at. Cannabis is an outcrossing species, it is variable, resinous plants might not also be extremely psychoactive. This is the nature of cannabis folks, and the reality across the board regarding the vast majority of inbred lines in outcrossing species. Deep Chunk kicks ass, its been kicking ass for decades, and it will continue to do so. This is outside of any discussion of its use in the breeding of hybrids, where it kicks even more ass. :) Biglove -Tom

PS- That DC x SC (DC x Goo) out of Gr33nlions camp that was posted by GetMo should have been selfed by now. I don't care if it was below par on other counts. That kind of resin production is not a dime a dozen. The recombination generation will provide that same frost but much more psycho activity/flavor/yield/favorable bud structure/overall worth. The prize is earned by folks who are willing to go the extra mile, this is how it always has worked. -Tom

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Do you know WTF are you talking about???? :confused:

haha

been growing for too many years to not know.

DC just satisfys some people.:2cents:

i just dont like it. how is it someones OPINION can be wrong on this forum?

I very much appreciate all of the very kind comments directed towards DC in this thread. But it is more complicated than "grow some real DC from Tom", that's not quite how it works either - though I wish it was.

I might grow 100 DC plants, 6 are frosty freaks, but only 3 are truly where it's at. Cannabis is an outcrossing species, it is variable, resinous plants might not also be extremely psychoactive. This is the nature of cannabis folks, and the reality across the board regarding the vast majority of inbred lines in outcrossing species. Deep Chunk kicks ass, its been kicking ass for decades, and it will continue to do so. This is outside of any discussion of its use in the breeding of hybrids, where it kicks even more ass. :D Biglove -Tom

PS- That DC x SC (DC x Goo) out of Gr33nlions camp that was posted by GetMo should have been selfed by now. I don't care if it was below par on other counts. That kind of resin production is not a dime a dozen. The recombination generation would provide that same frost but much more psycho activity/flavor/yield. The prize is earned by folks who are willing to go this extra mile, this is always how it has worked. -Tom

i hope you didnt interpit my post as "bashing" when it my opinion.
i still grow DC, and discontinued the DCxSC, just too many strains.
i just got a bland veriety??

your gear is very sought after in my markets.

just didnt intrest me. but it is sticky/resiny as all can be.

Tom Hill

Veteran
DH,

But your opinion is based on some bizarre shit it seems. If you came in and said "I spent 2-3 years searching" (none of you have done this that I have seen, not a one) and meant it, described it, documented it, went through a couple hundred and came up flat, well, then you'd have my attention and I'd be blown away - left speechless. You're not doing that though, or anything even remotely close -far from it- and this is deceiving imo. Or are you? I, we, are all still left in the dark regarding this point (it all revolves around you coming clean as to what "2-3 years of searching" entails in your world) and when will you provide some clarity at that end? I am only seeking some truth to go with your opinion? Surely, this is not too much to ask? It seems a fair trade to me.

I too hope you don't interpret my posts as bashing, sincerely. -Tom

zenoonez

Veteran
So you didn't find your prize pheno so you got ripped off? Seeds are seeds, they are a recombination of two plant's genetic material. I just don't see the big deal here. You got a cross you didn't dig, okay so kill em and go get some more beans or some new clones.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Can someone who has the good phenos of Deep Chunk chime in. Is it frosty as heck just bland in flavor? Some herb I've tried is like that, White Widow frosty phenos come to mind as well as some Blackberry Rhino etc. or is there a defined flavor? piney? skunky? lemmony? Can anyone describe it? I've never seen the flowers in California..

indifferent

Veteran
Digitalhippy has a rotten attitude, picks on people for his venting of nastiness all the time, this time he fucked up - he picked on Tom Hill, one of the most informed and highly respected members of the community and quite rightly, he's getting shown up to be the nasty piece of crud he really is. Way to go DH, go eat some friggin humble pie and get a new attitude that is less offensive.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
I for one am glad that Tom chose to come into this thread and speak. It shows a great degree of understanding and patience. I have grown the DC and several hybrids. It is a great plant and will almost always produce great offspring(like the DC x Goo). But it is a choice and all about your wants as a grower. It is not for everyone and should be researched before you grow her. I love the plant and her crosses but I cant grow it constantly due to the yeild. I know that so I approach any grow I use her in with that in mind. We all should all look at the plants we grow a little closer before we jump in.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
DH,

But your opinion is based on some bizarre shit it seems. If you came in and said "I spent 2-3 years searching" (none of you have done this that I have seen, not a one) and meant it, described it, documented it, went through a couple hundred and came up flat, well, then you'd have my attention and I'd be blown away - left speechless. You're not doing that though, or anything even remotely close -far from it- and this is deceiving imo. Or are you? I, we, are all still left in the dark regarding this point (it all revolves around you coming clean as to what "2-3 years of searching" entails in your world) and when will you provide some clarity at that end? I am only seeking some truth to go with your opinion? Surely, this is not too much to ask? It seems a fair trade to me.

I too hope you don't interpret my posts as bashing, sincerely. -Tom

due to the high amount of negativity, i felt the need to change names.
honestly, i tanked my first name, because of the negativity i couldnt stand so i "talked shit"

other then that ive been prowling seedbay/boo for TH DC gear since 04' although its been listed many times, ive not had the money when it was up, and didnt see it avail. when i had cash.

dispos only sell what there told it is (some dispoes lie) so cloneing from dispos can be rough, ive tried a few DC cuts from dispos, nothing good.

i wound up trading with one of my buddies, hydro store owner, after some years of friendship. he had the orig breeder pack by you. as he bought from SB.

seeds come with many phenos per pack, so how can you say your strain is so great, when your telling me ONLY 6 out of 100 are frosty beasts???

alot of the strains on this site are so over-hyped.

again, so i have to like DC because others do??
what the fuck?
you guys are warped.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Digitalhippy has a rotten attitude, picks on people for his venting of nastiness all the time, this time he fucked up - he picked on Tom Hill, one of the most informed and highly respected members of the community and quite rightly, he's getting shown up to be the nasty piece of crud he really is. Way to go DH, go eat some friggin humble pie and get a new attitude that is less offensive.

how am i picking on tom??

people are not allowed to post opinions!!!

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran

so seedbay sent my boy bad beans?

hahaha you guys are hilariouse!!!

anyone talks any about your "hero" in a negative light and "there wrong"

i dont hate tom and im not talking shit, its ICMAG thats interpiting shit all fucked up. go get stoned you fuckin morons.

I DONT FUCKIN LIKE DC, and im wrong!!!!

hahaha retards.

zenoonez

Veteran
due to the high amount of negativity, i felt the need to change names.
honestly, i tanked my first name, because of the negativity i couldnt stand so i "talked shit"

other then that ive been prowling seedbay/boo for TH DC gear since 04' although its been listed many times, ive not had the money when it was up, and didnt see it avail. when i had cash.

dispos only sell what there told it is (some dispoes lie) so cloneing from dispos can be rough, ive tried a few DC cuts from dispos, nothing good.

i wound up trading with one of my buddies, hydro store owner, after some years of friendship. he had the orig breeder pack by you. as he bought from SB.

seeds come with many phenos per pack, so how can you say your strain is so great, when your telling me ONLY 6 out of 100 are frosty beasts???

alot of the strains on this site are so over-hyped.

what the fuck?
you guys are warped.

You don't have to like DC but what I am saying is that your expectations set you up for failure. If this was about you not liking the taste of DC the discussion would be over by now. It is because you say things like this "seeds come with many phenos per pack, so how can you say your strain is so great, when your telling me ONLY 6 out of 100 are frosty beasts???" that this thread drags on and you get so much negativity. Cannabis is a plant which we manipulate to try to increase the traits that we want out of landrace genetics. Every cross mating you do is recombining the genetics of both individuals, all of their DNA not just the phenotypic or expressed genetics of the mother and father. If you use a wide sampling of plants to breed with you are encouraging genetic diversity in your plants which means that there will be many phenotypes. There will always be freak plants that pop from a pack of seeds. This is what is great about popping a pack of seeds is the possibility of finding your own grail pheno or the mother or father of your grail pheno.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
This has nothing to do with Tom. I've never tried his beans. But IMO, if they're F1 beans, I hope/expect to get at least 1 keeper from a pack. Any less than that, then WTF am I paying top dollar for?

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hey DH man,

I know that 5% of pretty much all IL seed is worthy of mention, again, this is reality across the board in an outcrossing species - folks who believe the occurrence of elite phenotypes are more common than this are cheap dates in my opinion. It does not bother me in the least that people do not know or understand this to be true, but it is. Your version of what should be will only ever be accomplished in self-pollinating species or perhaps in highly select F1's of outcrossing species.

I am only seeking to put your perspective into its rightful place, and thanks for helping.

So, you were passed 2 plants from a friend or grew a 10 pack (Breeder pack? What's that, a single 10 pack, 4-5 females for selection, yes?) and you were disappointed.

Then you thought to multiply something (DCxGoo?) beyond what made sense in your situation -all before you even knew if you had the market for it- left sour, and holding the bag as it were. This is somebody else's fault but your own? Yeah, I think I'm starting to get the whole picture now. Thanks. -Tom

MCsqrd

what the fuck?
you guys are warped.

You are more than entitled to your opinion, but when you post some misleading, disrepectful shit, like "hahaha what a genetic hunt, 2-3yrs of searching ... wasted...", people don't take that in a postitive tone. You make it sound like you actually made an effort to see what DC had to offer, but you did nothing of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts