What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarbing hemp into cannabis?

goingrey

It is possible to convert for example CBD to THC but it's not quite as simple as just decarbing it.

In the USA delta8-THC made from hemp-derived CBD is a big thing. The reason they do it is a legal loophole. Might make less sense in other parts of the world where the laws are different.

stunkfrunk

SubGirl

420club
I was thinking of those who live where cannabis is illegal but hemp is legal, a way to make edibles legally (not that the legal system isn't anything but a fraud https://executiveorders.life/ to learn the difference between legal and lawful and what guardianship/slavery is).
I’m sure you can make edibles from hemp. Just don’t think it would have any “cannabis” effect. Perhaps a hemp effect instead. Is growing hemp legal in your state?

goingrey

I find this interesting and there is some latest research that looked at converting CBD to Delta 9 THC by heat alone. They found by heating CBD at 175C for 30 minutes this could be realised. The amount converted was quite significant too. The usual way as @goingrey mentioned is pretty complex by using acid's and lot's of equipment.

Wow, well I stand corrected. They say 4.5% was converted to delta8 and 2% to delta9 after 30 minutes, which isn't much if the starting material is only say 10% CBD but I wonder what happens after more time. The old sulfuric/acetic acid conversion method posted at The Hive takes three days after all.