What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DEA Raiding CCC in Roseville Right Now!

hyperseth

DEA Raiding CCC in Roseville Right Now!

DEA Raiding Capitol Compassionate Care in Roseville Right Now!
The DEA, in defiance of orders from Federal Judges, are raiding Capitol Compassionate Care in Roseville right now. Apparently, they are working with the Roseville Police department, despite the Roseville City Council's recent vote to license Capitol Compassionate Care.

More news to follow.

G

They must have listened to RNC and got a hard on and raided the place. Fuck the GOVERNMENT! And our Governer!

Blatant

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
damn,
i guess they didnt get norml_mmj's memo about decrim....:mad:

thats not meant to be funny guys.
i'm just as pissed at him as i am at the dea.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Roseville Plan Would Limit New Pot Shops

Roseville Plan Would Limit New Pot Shops

Wednesday, May 19, 2004
Sacramento Bee

Four months after Roseville's first medical marijuana store opened its doors, city officials are looking at regulations that would limit others from setting up shop.

"If I can do something to remove this from our community, I'm going to do it," Mayor F.C. "Rocky" Rockholm said. "But if we have to have them, then we need to control them."

The Roseville City Council today will consider enacting an emergency ordinance restricting where medical marijuana stores could open and how they could operate.

Based on proposed zoning rules, shops would be allowed in only two areas of the city - across from the Galleria mall or an industrial area in old Roseville. A state law enacted last year attempted to clarify a voter-approved initiative that allowed people to use and cultivate marijuana for medical purposes. However, local jurisdictions were left with the responsibility of coming up with their own guidelines for regulating sales.

Elk Grove and Citrus Heights recently established restrictions.

When Richard Marino opened Capitol Compassionate Care in Roseville's historic district last January, however, all he needed was a standard business license to set up shop.

Caught off guard, the city had no choice but to issue Marino a license.

Since then, Roseville police spokeswoman DeeDee Gunther said, several other groups have inquired about opening marijuana dispensaries in town.

"One reason that made Roseville especially attractive was that we didn't have any regulations, unlike Citrus Heights and Elk Grove," Gunther said. "So we decided it was time."

The proposed ordinance, classifying medical marijuana shops as "sole-source pharmacies," would permit them to operate only in some commercial and industrial areas.

They would have to be at least 500 feet from churches, schools, parks, homes and other sole-source pharmacies such as methadone clinics.

In addition, special permits would require operators to provide police with identifying and historical information about themselves, employees and any independent contractors.

"We're just trying to make it as safe and legal as possible within the constraints of the existing state law," Gunther said.

The ordinance also would:

* Limit operating hours to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

* Require records be maintained for all patients and primary caregivers, using identification card numbers issued by the Placer County health department.

* Require notice stating that no marijuana may be smoked, ingested or consumed on the premises.

* Limit possession to no more than 8 ounces of dried marijuana per qualified patient, and six mature or 12 immature plants per patient.

* Prohibit use of any drug paraphernalia.

Proponents of medical marijuana caution that some regulations are a way for jurisdictions to stop the businesses from opening at all.

"It makes sense for cities to have some sort of regulations," said Dale Gieringer, coordinator for the California National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws. "But usually what I see happening is the regulations are made to discourage or prevent certain operators from doing business. Some regulations make sense and others don't."

For instance, some cities require operators to list their marijuana suppliers, making it impossible to open for business.

"Everybody knows growers are not going to incriminate themselves in that way," Gieringer said.

Roseville's proposed ordinance requires the identification of "independent contractors," which Gunther said is only meant for anyone working on the premises.

Zoning restrictions could make it difficult for shops to open even in areas where they're allowed. Commercial space around the Galleria is pricey, and parts of the Washington Boulevard and Industrial Avenue areas are near homes and parks.

Gieringer and Sacramento medical marijuana advocate Ryan Landers expressed concern about the proposed limit on business hours and inability to sell paraphernalia such as vaporizers and pipes.

"We can't provide or demonstrate safe means for using marijuana," Landers said. "You're forcing people to go to head shops, and we have so many people, especially the elderly, who don't want to go to the back room of some store that sells glass pipes."

Overall, however, Landers said Roseville's proposed ordinance was fair and protects patients' anonymity.

"I don't want the community impacted by this in a negative way, but I also know that it doesn't have to," Landers said. "It's a very tough job to balance protecting the community and the needs of a seriously ill person who needs the medicine to help them."

Although zoning restrictions specifically prohibit shops from opening in the city's historic district, Capitol Compassionate Care will still be allowed to operate in Old Roseville, Gunther said.

"It's been fairly quiet over there," Gunther said. "The surrounding businesses haven't complained. So far, he seems to be running a pretty orderly place."

Marino will have to comply with the new operating rules and has 90 days to apply for a permit.

Capitol Compassionate Care manager Alicia Tribulato said she thought the proposed ordinance is "very reasonable."

"They're just looking out for the best interests of the city," Tribulato said.

Rockholm, however, said he's opposed to any marijuana dispensaries opening in Roseville.

He said cancer and AIDS patients can get prescriptions for Marinol - a pharmaceutical pill that uses a synthetic form of THC and eases symptoms such as nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite.

"Based on my experience as a cop, people smoke pot and then get into an automobile and drive and that puts us all at risk," said Rockholm, a retired police sergeant. "The stuff today is so much stronger than it was 20 years ago.

"I just don't think these (medical marijuana shops) are a benefit to our community."

Chronis X

wow

wow

Glad I was not in that place when the raid was going on -

did the caregiver have a licence or not????

hyperseth

Re: wow

Re: wow

Chronis X said:
Glad I was not in that place when the raid was going on -

did the caregiver have a licence or not????

as far as i know everything the man did was legit

:( Another notch in Ashcrap,and douch's lipstix cases :mad:

hey sick patients send them vomit in bags let them deal with your pain and crap for a while
sicko commuist mutants they are ! :eek: I pray for them or their children are never sick and have to deal with this kind of terror and mayhem for simple hollestic needs, organic is better, they should come and visit a couple of my neighbors right now to see how Cruel there ingorence is, One has a day or two left, lack of a eating (1 month no eating) from cancer is killing her right now and its to late, its totally horriable to watch and cant do a thing, because Cannabis has no MEDICAL USE say the DEA, Bush , Ashcrap
Its Evil and supports the terrorist in the world.
This kind of thinking Baffles me :confused:
I ask this question and this is using their ideaolgy, because most of these people doing these acts agaist the Brethen are saying its for God and country so here it is:
God made All and saw that it was Good
So why is Cannabis a mistake ???
So really what your saying is God is a mistake :rolleyes:
Oh yea they just oked a hooka shop,( tobacco only but hey 22 flavors) to open here with indoor smoking allowed , But an Cannabis shop :eek:
and all the facts about tobacco , Im confused, beam me up :abduct:
Peace, Give Thanks and Praise JAH

G

Wonder what the DEA is going to do with CCC'c records? Think I should pull up my garden?

had ours taken from the Oakland raid 2 yrs ago the misses and I & we just went down in numbers to be on safe side this includes clones all @ min.
We slept well at nite no worrys like we said 2 yrs ago.
one extra little factor we quit supplying clinics a year before when caught wind of rough seas ahead.
if all well with you Little Brother than BONGFOG one right now put on a good comedy and relaxxxxxxxxxx :cool:
Peace Give Thanks and Praise JAH

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Free Legal Advice (and worth every penny ;) )

Free Legal Advice (and worth every penny ;) )

"Your Rights"
(Taken from the National Organization To Reform Marijuana Laws website)

The following information is intended as a brief summation of your constitutional rights and is meant to offer helpful hints at how to effectively assert and protect those rights within the context of a police encounter. Of course, this information is no substitute for consultation with an experienced attorney.

The Fourth Amendment to the Bill of Rights of the United States Constitution states:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The Fifth Amendment reads, in part, "No person shall be... compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of Freedom Cardlife, liberty, or property, without due process of law...." These amendments provide the foundation for the rights that protect all U.S. Citizens from intrusive law enforcement practices. If an officer violates your rights then any evidence discovered as a result of that violation must be suppressed from the evidence at trial. This is accomplished by filing a motion to suppress with the trial judge. Even if an officer obtained a warrant prior to searching, if that warrant is defective or not supported by probable cause, then the evidence must be suppressed. Often times, after the fruits of an illegal detention, interrogation or search are suppressed, the government is left with very little evidence and the charges are dismissed.

1. Don't Leave Contraband in Plain View
Although law enforcement officers must obtain a warrant before they can conduct a privacy-invading search, any illicit material that can be plainly seen by any person from a non-intrusive vantage point is subject to confiscation. An arrest and a valid warrant to search the rest of the area is likely to ensue. A "roach" in the ashtray, a pipe or baggie on the coffee table, or a joint being smoked in public are common mistakes which all too-frequently lead to arrests.

2. Never Consent
Many individuals arrested on marijuana charges could have avoided that arrest by exercising their Fourth Amendment rights. If a law enforcement officer asks for your permission to search, it is usually because: (1) there is not enough evidence to obtain a search warrant; or (2) the officer does not feel like going through the hassle of obtaining a warrant. Law enforcement officers are trained to intimidate people into consenting to searches. If you do consent, you waive your constitutional protection and the officers may search and seize items without further authorization. If officers find contraband, they will arrest you.

If you do not consent to a search, the officer must either release you or detain you and attempt to get a warrant. The fact that you refuse to consent does not give the officer grounds to obtain a warrant or further detain you.

An officer can obtain a search warrant only from a judge or magistrate and only upon a showing of "probable cause." Probable cause requires an officer to articulate information that would cause a reasonable person to believe that a crime has been or is being committed and that evidence of that involvement can be found within the object of the search.

There are exceptions to the search warrant requirement which permit an officer to search an area without a warrant or consent under certain circumstances. The important thing for you to remember is never to consent to a search or talk with an officer if you want to preserve your rights.

If an officer asks to search you or an area belonging to you or over which you are authorized to control, you should respond:

"I do not consent to a search of my [person, baggage, purse, luggage, vehicle, house, blood, etc.] I do not consent to this contact and do not want to answer any questions. If I am not under arrest, I would like to go now (or be left alone)."

3. Don't Answer Questions Without Your Attorney Present
Whether arrested or not, you should always exercise the right to remain silent. Anything you say to law enforcement officers, reporters, cell mates, or even your friends can be used as evidence against you. You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. Your right to remain silent should always be exercised.

4. Determining if You Can Leave
You may terminate an encounter with officers unless you are being detained under police custody or have been arrested. If you cannot tell whether you may leave, you can ask officers, "Am I under arrest or otherwise detained?" If the answer is, "No," you may leave.

An officer can temporarily detain you without arresting you if he has "reasonable suspicion" that you are involved in criminal activity. An officer must be able at a later time to articulate to a judge objective facts that would have caused a reasonable person to suspect that you were involved in criminal activity at the point that you were detained. Also, the officer may perform a "pat down" or "frisk" on you during the detention if he has reasonable suspicion that you are armed. However, an officer may only reach into your pockets if he pats something that feels like a weapon.

When an officer attempts to contact or question you, you should politely say:

"I do not consent to this contact and I do not want to answer any questions. If I am not under arrest I would like to go now (or be left alone)."

If arrested, you should again refuse a search of any kind and refuse to answer any questions. At this point you should insist on speaking to an attorney as soon as possible.

5. Do Not Be Hostile; Do Not Physically Resist
There are times when individuals politely assert their rights and refuse to consent to a search but the officers nonetheless proceed to detain, search, or arrest them. In such cases, it is important not to physically resist. Rather, you should reassert your rights as outlined above in section 2.

6. Informing on Others
The police and prosecutors often try to pressure individuals into providing information that would lead to the arrest and conviction of others. Threats and promises by police and prosecutors should be viewed with caution and skepticism. Decisions should only be made after consulting with an experienced criminal defense attorney and examining one's own conscience.

Finally, consider downloading and carrying NORML's Freedom Card -- a quick reference guide to your rights and obligations when you are stopped by the police.

N.O.R.M.L. Your Rights With Link to Printable "Freedom Card"
http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3408

Last edited:
Dont you know
we all lost are rights in 2000
maybe the people will get their voice and rights back in 2004 :D
Peace Give Thanks and Praise JAH

G

Hyperseth, liberty balance and I.M. Boggled thanks for the advice. Keeping my garden and heeding to your advice is what I'm going to do. Thanks.

hyperseth

Patients Protest DEA Raid in Roseville

Patients Protest DEA Raid in Roseville

Starting at 2:00 PM Today, medical marijuana patients will be protesting the DEA as they continue the raid on the Capitol Compassionate Care center in Roseville.

Please show up ASAP to let the DEA know who they are really hurting!

The Capitol Compassionate Care Center is one of the few dispensaries for patients in the Roseville/Lower Placer Co. area.

The address is: 327 Lincoln St., Roseville, CA

For media information, contact:
Stacey Swimme
Field Manager
Americans for Safe Access
1700 Shattuck Ave. #317
Berkeley, CA 94709
510-486-8083
www.safeaccessnow.org

G

(edited since i think i was too angry to make sense posting what i did.)

fuck those ignorant fuckin pigs, i hope they die... and i mean that.

THC

Love to go ,
But today is being spent holding someone whos leaving us today most likely . A nobody, But a somebody here to some, If Cannabis was only legal and doctors did not fear, And the Law and Govt. use common sence and REAL Compassion and looked into their hearts for a REAL moment,
That someone might have lived another day,
TELL THEM THAT WHEN YOU GO THERE TODAY !!!!
Tell them there what its like to watch someone strave to death because of the cemo and CORP. drugs make them to sick to eat and heal.
Tell them what its like to be a caretaker and love and care for a stranger
it hurts no matter who it is if your Human
Ask them if there Human
Ask them if they ever held someone to their last breath
Than tell me/us that people dont have rights to seek or use whatever they can to have a better life after you done that a few times (caretaking)
SHOW ME THE LOGIC PLEASE
got to go too many tears, hard to see this keyboard Ive done this dying gig with many,and some very good friends that I miss so much ,
Have a great day
PEACE Give Thanks and Praise

DrJay2001

now at peace
My heart goes out to you Liberty. I've been in your situation too many times. Pain, fear, and dying are the most difficult challenges even in the best of circumstances. Facing these challenges honestly and compassionately without regard to consequences is the true test of our character and our real committment to MMJ.

"Ask them if they are human" you say.

Perhaps they are humans but they are spiritually dead. As such they are very dangerous. These situations are not about the law but about the use of government sponsored contempt for the law even in the face of overwhelming human tragedy.

These zombies as I think of them are not unintelligent. They choose their victims, the locations of their actions, and their timing very deliberately.

In a truly civilized society such abuses of authority which can only be called sadism and tyrannical, would be stopped and the perpetrators punished. The problem here is that government is now run by those who are animated only by their will to power and such abuses are intentional and sanctioned. It is a sad time for liberty.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Just wonder...

Just wonder...

Ya tink dey'd let a dog suffer like dat/dis???

Had ta ask my mom dat taday...

Liberty, ya'r a beautiful, compassionate person!!
Readin' ya'r posts, gave me de chills!!
I&I pray for peace, for ya'r friend!!! Ya'r a good friend, indeed!!!
Jah Bless!!
& Keep up de good fight!!!

Dr. Jay, *tips hat* ;)

Hoppin' dat dis finds ya ALL doin' & feelin' well!!!

Have a beautiful & peaceful evenin', my friends!!

Take care, stay safe & be peaceful~
~natty natty gurrl

~SpReAdIn' KiNd ViBeS~
It CouLd Be BeAuTiFuL!!

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
California:U.S.-state rights pot fight snags area grower..court appeal may tip scales

California:U.S.-state rights pot fight snags area grower..court appeal may tip scales

U.S.-state rights pot fight snags area grower
The court appeal of two ailing women may tip the scales.

Published Sunday, September 12, 2004 Sacramento Bee

Richard Marino says he did everything right.

From the day he opened his retail establishment in an 80-year-old building in Old Roseville, he says, he scrupulously screened his customers to make sure no one who was unqualified was able to buy his product.

He established meticulous business procedures and even joined the Chamber of Commerce.
"I worked my (butt) off to make this whole thing work," he said last week over a lunchtime bowl of soup. "... I was trying to be part of the community."

The federal government, however, says Marino did at least one thing very, very wrong.
"He was selling marijuana," said Gordon Taylor, chief of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration's Sacramento office. "It's pretty simple ... you can't do that. It's against the law."

Just which law - and whose law trumps whose - are at the core of the federal government versus Marino.

And the Marino dust-up is just one skirmish in an 8-year-old war that has pitted states against the federal government, federal judges against federal prosecutors and two very sick Northern California women against the Bush administration.

Last week, the U.S. attorney's office filed a civil complaint against Marino, a 51-year-old former electrician who opened his Capitol Compassionate Care store on Old Roseville's Lincoln Street in late January to sell marijuana to people with medical prescriptions for it.

The complaint, in which the government contends Marino profited from an illegal enterprise, asks a federal judge to order the forfeiture of the 5-acre Newcastle property Marino bought for $550,000 last June, and the historic building in which he leases space.

The Lincoln Street building is owned by Richard Ryan, an attorney at the Roseville Legal Center. Ryan did not return numerous calls from The Bee for comment.

The complaint followed a Sept. 3 raid on Marino's house and store in which DEA agents seized a total of 500 marijuana plants and $105,000 in cash.

Despite the raid and complaint, however, no criminal charges have been filed against Marino so far, and as of last week he was still open for business.

The reason for that, sources both within and outside the federal government say, is rooted in the melange of medicine, law and politics from which the issue springs, as well as a case looming before the U.S. Supreme Court.

In 1996, 56 percent of California voters approved Proposition 215, which legalized the use of marijuana as a prescribed medicine. Eight other states have enacted similar laws, and at least that many are contemplating them.

The issue continues to garner strong support in California. Last year, legislators and then-Gov. Gray Davis approved a bill clarifying medical pot guidelines and setting up an ID card system for users and providers. A Field Poll released in late January showed 74 percent of respondents favor the use of marijuana as medicine.

But the U.S. Justice Department is not among the cheerleaders, contending that federal drug laws pre-empt state laws. And federal laws make no exceptions for marijuana by prescription.

"Marijuana is not medicine," said White House drug czar John P. Walters during a trip to Sacramento last February. "We in the federal government will enforce the (federal) law."

In California, at least, enforcement has been selective and sporadic, and prosecutors' enthusiasm for busting medical pot users and growers has not been shared by some federal judges:

* In June 2003, a federal judge in San Francisco sentenced a prominent Oakland medical pot grower to the single day he already had spent in county jail.

U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer said a "just punishment ... requires substantial departure" from federal sentencing guidelines that set a maximum of 60 years.

* Last April, a Ventura County woman was sentenced to six months of home detention and 100 hours of community service for supplying marijuana to a medical pot center in West Hollywood.

In handing out the relatively light sentence, U.S. District Judge A. Howard Matz invoked the "lesser harm doctrine," which says crimes sometimes can be justified if they are committed to avoid a greater harm -in this case the suffering of patients at the pot center.

* Last month, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals freed a Chico man who was the first patient and cultivator associated with a California medical marijuana dispensary to go to trial in federal court after passage of Proposition 215.

Bryan James Epis had served two years of a 10-year sentence when he was ordered released on bail until a medical marijuana case pending before the U.S. Supreme Court can be decided.

Stymied by the courts, federal prosecutors have in some cases turned to a less direct route to closing down medical pot purveyors.

While unusual, said a government source, it is not unprecedented for prosecutors to file a civil forfeiture complaint without accompanying criminal charges, particularly in cases where the government feels it can meet the lower burden of proof that accompanies civil cases.

In the case of the West Hollywood center, for example, the DEA seized the building even though the center had the support of local law enforcement and city officials. In fact, the city had made the down payment and had a second mortgage on the center's building.

The DEA subsequently sold the building for $1.25 million. The city is suing the federal government in an effort to recoup its loss.

Another motive, said Mill Valley attorney Brenda Grantland, might be to dissipate a defendant's resources in the event charges are filed later.

"If everything you've got is seized in a civil forfeiture, and they come along later with a prosecution, you have limited resources with which to mount an effective defense," said Grantland, an expert on federal forfeiture law.

Federal prosecutors have refused to talk on the record about the Marino case.

But privately, they acknowledge Marino's high public profile made him tough for them to ignore.

"Whatever else may be said of Mr. Marino," said one source, "he was tugging on Superman's cape."

Speaking not about the Marino matter but in general terms, U.S. Attorney McGregor Scott said "federal law enforcement has attempted to find a balance in the conflict between state and federal law."

"In instances where the law is clearly being violated," Scott said, "federal law enforcement is quite obviously left with no choice but to vigorously enforce the law."

How vigorously may hinge on the judicial fate of two severely ill Northern California women.

The women, Angel Raich of Oakland and Diane Monson of Oroville, have sued to block federal interference with their pot supplies, contending the government lacks the power to regulate medical pot in cases where its cultivation and use do not involve interstate commerce.

Both women suffer from incurable ailments and use marijuana to alleviate their symptoms.

The 9th Circuit sided with the women last year, and the Supreme Court agreed to hear the government's appeal during the high court's session that starts next month.

In the meantime, government sources said, federal prosecutors are treading softly in seeking criminal convictions in medical marijuana cases while "waiting for Raich."

In one such case, an El Dorado County doctor and her attorney husband who had recommended marijuana for sick people and dispensed the drug had their patient and client records seized in 2001 by the DEA.

In the three years since, Dr. Mollie Fry and Dale Schafer have not been charged, nor have their assets been seized, other than the records.

But Supreme Court decisions sometime raise more questions than they answer, and it is unclear in the Raich case whether the justices will touch on those who formally dispense medical marijuana, or narrow a decision to those who use it.

All of which gives Richard Marino cause for concern.

"I did this to provide a safe place for people to get medical marijuana," he said. "I'm sick about this whole thing.

"I didn't want to go to jail. I didn't want this."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts