What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DC powered carbon scrubber/fan for the car?

KONY

Veteran
Thinking about putting one of these together, but having trouble figuring out a way to make it look more discrete. Was thinking building a box around the filter itself, paint it gray or tan then drilling a bunch 1/2" holes in the box or something? Seems like it would like just as weird/abnormal looking.

I'm figuring a cheap 12v mixed flow fan from amazon, I believe they are used in bathroom most of the time. Then generic 4" carbon filter, and a 10' long 12v cig power cord.
Total cost will be about $75, or $95 if using a named brand carbon filter.

Anyone got any good ideas to help make this thing blend in better in the back seat floor of a car? Could probably pretty easily make one that runs on a solar panel too, however that would only work if it was sunny.

Should mention this is more for burnt smoke smell in the car than anything else.... I know shouldnt smoke in the car, but it happens and while a pen works okay for dabbing, I really love smoking.

KONY

Veteran
Wouldn't just be easier to buy a Ozone generator for your car?

I got one already.... but it's really bad to breath in ozone, so can only use it when you are not in the car, also while it removes the smoke smell, it also breaks down the plastics/rubber in the car much quicker.... Steering wheel, shifter, dashboard, etc.

Americangrower

Veteran
well depending on the car you could put a charcoal filter in the cabin filter plus a can of ozium as well as the gel oziums under the seats..

didn't know ozone generators were bad to breath in I always had one in my car back in the day.

n_d_ledz

Can always modify the intake for recirculating cabin air. Add a filter to the intake and if you cannot do a 2" filter of proper size, go 3" deep with carbon.

What about a neg ion generator?

n_d_ledz

well depending on the car you could put a charcoal filter in the cabin filter plus a can of ozium as well as the gel oziums under the seats..

didn't know ozone generators were bad to breath in I always had one in my car back in the day.

Ozone kills organic matter, and it doesnt care if its odor or lung tissue.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

disguising it as perhaps a big bass speaker you can easily put a squirrel cage blower motor & a carbon scrub filter system of your own design in a cabinet. you'll need a good AC motor (12V DC stuff's too weak) & so you'd also need to buy a decent DC/AC inverter, I suspect it would need to produce a steady 3 amps AC while your engine's running & the system scrubbing your air.

Opening the windows to clear the air always worked best for me, a spritz or two of the original scent Ozium after rolling up the glass really worked wonders too. Of course not hotboxing your own ride works well, open a window or two while fryin'. Also, those Febreeze clip on vent air fresheners are powerful if you adjust them to wide open.

Walmart carries the Ozium Gel containers, $3.48 and does exactly what you want.

71Yhb5v.jpg

Americangrower

Veteran
Ozone kills organic matter, and it doesnt care if its odor or lung tissue.

I take it back it was a ozone generator I used it was a Vaportek Restorator....which isn't harmful and kick serious ass. Turn it on and car or I my case growroom is smell free in minutes. Now if I only knew where the fok it went .