What's new

Daylight and Fluoros

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Ah nice. Hopefully you get 2 girls! Why shoot low?

Any chance you can build a box around the fan? You could line it with foam eggcrate or maybe a couple layers of bubble wrap to deaden the sound.

D

daylighting

I may mount the smaller of the two fans I currently use (10", steel frame and blade) in a bucket with holes punched near the bottom and pull air through it. I'd fill it with bags of activated carbon like this; maybe 2 lbs or so.

http://www.petco.com/product/105554/Marineland-Premium-Activated-Carbon-Bags.aspx

I get them very cheap locally if I buy in bulk, and the ones I am picking up have a second layer of fabric over them that is finer. Do you think that would work?

D

daylighting

I believe the issue with the 6" fan is the sound of the air whooshing through the ducting more than the fan itself; the seller turned it on for me and it would really bother the neighbors at night!

D

daylighting

Managed to get an entire 4" filter kit (inline fan, carbon scrubber, hose, clamps and even a stepless fan controller) for under $100 and it'll be here in 2-3 days. How could I say no to that?

D

daylighting

Both Jet-47s are up as expected. One has shed it's seedcoat by the looks of it and the other one may need help. Tested my timer and it works a treat. Tomorrow will be their first day under filtered daylight (through a curtain) and a cool white and warm CFL. I need to pick up some more CFLs tomorrow; once they're on their second leaf set, I'll introduce them to the 100W+ of 23W CFLs that will be supplementing the natural tropical daylight they'll be getting!

I appear to have a fungus gnat issue. All those weeks of keeping the soil moist for the old seeds has resulted in the ol' gnats (I knew it would happen). I won't be watering the seedlings for weeks unless they need it, since they're in 1.5 gallon pots and the taproot should go in search of H20 deeper down in the soil. I put a small pinch of American Spirit tobacco in each pot. I don't know if it will make much difference, but let's see if it helps.

I'm thinking about starting a third Jet-47 plant in pure ProMix. I may need to pick up some earthworm castings while I'm at it!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Oh no, gnats. I don't know if a pinch of tobacco is going to wipe those gnats out. It seems to me that you would have to make a root drench with it. I don't know if that's safe or effective though.

I do know that you can find help in the infirmary thread. Get those buggers taken care of, or kiss your yields goodbye.

D

daylighting

Once the soil dries out, they'll be gone; they actually don't eat live plant matter, but they seem to find my little seedlings very interesting! I think the seedlings will be just fine under the lights today and I'll pick off the gnats one by one when I get down there!

D

daylighting

Well, no sign of any fungus gnats today and with three fans in here, the soil has dried out a little! Both are on their first leaves after the cotyledon leaves. Vigorous little seedlings!

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Fungus gnats are a bitch if you live in a house with damp problems :-(
The grubs (juvenille stage) apparently nibble the roots :-(

Those are the best office plants ever :p
Much better than a fake fern or a spider plant LoL

You're lucky to not have people visiting your office though :)

D

daylighting

I cultivated the tobacco into the moist soil; it should give any grubs or mites left over a nice dose of nicotine. :)

Pot plants are definitely the way to go for boosting indoor air quality in the workplace, and the light will keep my spirits up too! Symbiotic living! I have the best working conditions ever. :biggrin:

D

daylighting

Made a couple of beer can reflectors today; they seem to help, so I need to drink more beer and get reflectors on all my bulbs!

I moved the babies to their new home. They were under two bulbs at a significant distance, and getting indirect daylight by the window, and they started to stretch! I was going to use around 150w of CFL, but I've decided to up that to 184w (8 x 23W) of mixed cool and warm (2700K) with the supplemental daylight through the window. Even with only 92W burning today, I had to put my sunglasses on!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Dang it! This +1 will have to surfice. If you need some help with disposing of the beer, Ive got the perfect place for it. ;)

D

daylighting

So I've had my little plants less than an inch away from the CFLs with no ill effects today. I'm going to back off a little as I want them to stretch a little so they have larger frames for bud support when that time comes! Hopefully I get at least one fem. If not, I'll save some pollen in the fridge and pop some more beans in the hopes of getting more fems.

I've found I can still work after lights out; I have triple-layered trash bags over each plant and one 18W CFL desk lamp burning so I can do what I have to do!

Time for another beer :tiphat: This one's for you WG!

D

daylighting

While I was at work, my scrubber came in. Holy smokes, it's much bigger than I thought! It's longer than my plant pots are high at present. I'm going to put a plug on the fan and then connect the whole thing up tomorrow (ducting, spring clips and all came with it) and give it a whirl; hopefully it isn't too loud, but the controller will let me dial it down as needed. :) Obviously in seedling stage I don't need it just yet, but it's nice to know my odorific needs are covered!

D

daylighting

Just under four days since they shed their seed coats and I can't stop watching them obsessively. With guerilla gardening, you only get to see them a few times a week since you don't want to make a trail or be spotted, but I can't stop watching my babies!

They're getting started on their second leaf sets...again, bang on top of the previous leaves due to the light intensity. I've backed them off the lights a little and they're now 1.5 - 2" away from the central bulb and 4" away from the others. Each one is getting light from 3 x 23W at present (69W a piece).

Gave them a very light feeding with kelp, high P bat guano and high K fertilizer with trace elements yesterday (1/4 strength) and I saw a few gnats this morning. This time I'm going to let them dry out for a week straight to help get rid of those pesky buggers. I took one of my mom's basil plants indoors a few years ago and the gnats obliterated it, so I know I need to ensure I get rid of these bastards.

D

daylighting

Bought some yellow traps; I hear the gnats LOVE yellow and will flock to it.

D

daylighting

Bought two 9W LED bulbs with E27 bases for cheap--each has 3 3W 'bulbs': 450nm, 630nm and 660nm (two cores). They have pretty solid looking aluminum heatsinks. That ups my total light to 184W + 18W, or 202W (plus indirect daylight). I think that'll do for now. ;) I'll probably start one more Jet-47 to up my chances of getting at least one girl!

EDIT; also picked up a 20W CFL that puts out 10% UVB in the invisible spectrum the bulb generates. I should probably stop buying stuff now!

D

daylighting

Ran hydrogen peroxide (1:4) through both pots and then poured the runoff back through a few times. That should take care of the pesky gnats! When I went in to work yesterday, there were several buzzing around on the pots, sunning themselves under the CFLs, so I knew I had to take care of them.

D

daylighting

Still some adolescent gnats today! They're hiding out in the hydroton!

S

shokdee

Sorry to have missed this great thread, good job. Are you slowly moving from CFLs to LEDs?

Latest posts

Latest posts