What's new

dark room tents are shit

ITryToGrow

I'm currently constructing my new setup using a DR300W.

I used to have a couple of DR120's and something I noticed that I think is a big con of the DR300W (and probably all the 150 combinations) is that all the cross-"beams" are two pieces joined together. The ones in the 120 and smaller tents are one-piece.

So when I tried to hang my Magnum XXXL I saw right away that the crossbeam would fail at the joint.

So what I'm gonna do is make small holes in the roof of the tent and hang everything, two magnum xxxl's, fans and filter, of 3mm steel wires fastened to my concrete roof.

So basically all the weight the tent is going to have to carry, is it's own.

Pictures will follow in my grow diary later...

Edit: About the Intense series, you do know what those tents costs right?

Hovz

I think i got the new model dr120 because my corners are made of black plastic, im pretty satisfied with it so far.

opt1c

Veteran
nice; i'm still trying to get a replacement connector... they sent me everything but the two main ones to the shop i got it from... i'll try to get a new set of connectors from secret jardain themselves.

fwiw my two dr80s, two dr120s, and my new dr40 r raging no problems... just that pesky dr240w with the crap supports

edit:just checked ur thread... u got a growlab or a darkroom? ;)

xcrispi

SunHuts have all steel poles and corners in their construction .
Atlest the 4x4x7 I just bought does .
I'm really impressed w/ it for $180.00
Crispi

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used the dr120 I loved it. I ordered a 150 but they sent me a 120. they refunded the difference +10%. I used it for 3 years no problems. I do recommend a good cleaning on the bottom supports after each cycle. Also if you get the poles wet make sure you dry them off very well if you don't they will rust.

Hovz

nice; i'm still trying to get a replacement connector... they sent me everything but the two main ones to the shop i got it from... i'll try to get a new set of connectors from secret jardain themselves.

fwiw my two dr80s, two dr120s, and my new dr40 r raging no problems... just that pesky dr240w with the crap supports

edit:just checked ur thread... u got a growlab or a darkroom? ;)

Lawl i guess i got the growlab, watever brand it is its pretty well constructed for the most part.

chemDOOM

I'm running a 600w hps in a lumenaire reflector with a 6" inline fan and a Can 50 carbon filter in a DR120. Too much weight for the tent? Wondering if anyone else has run the same setup. It seems like a lot of weight for it.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had 2 600 on cooltubes with 1 6" inline no problem. I did not put my scrubber inside I put it outside on one of the bottom holes.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
looks to me like the metal pole is what bent and I don't see the plastic corner in the pic.
My tent runs with a negative pressure also and seemed to reduce the reflective capacity with convex(concave) tent walls, so I tied a string around the poles to hold the tent sides out away from my plants. it only helped a bit tho.
I'll blaze one in their honor! sorry for your consternation!
peace

B

bipotato

I'm glad mine is made of 2x4's and drywall. Whew.

I meant um... sorry about your tent.

opt1c

Veteran
looks to me like the metal pole is what bent and I don't see the plastic corner in the pic.
My tent runs with a negative pressure also and seemed to reduce the reflective capacity with convex(concave) tent walls, so I tied a string around the poles to hold the tent sides out away from my plants. it only helped a bit tho.
I'll blaze one in their honor! sorry for your consternation!
peace

picture.php

I'm glad mine is made of 2x4's and drywall. Whew.

I meant um... sorry about your tent.

i bet u can tear down ur 2x4 tent with drywall in 10mins and move it to a different location if need be no problem :thank you:
hello apple meet orange

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn sorry to hear opt1c, im glad that there were no fire.

I have a dr 240 myself and a couple smallers one but i never had them felt on me yet, i always feel like the middle support of these thing are so weak, which is why i never want to put so much weight on them.

Whatever human built, it will eventually fail.
cheers,
red.

F_T_P!

I am setting up my dr240 right now and I have been thinking about this problem. I will be putting some weight on the ceiling and after reading this thread I see that extra support will be needed. I think the easiest solution would be to post up the center cross support with a 2x2 or shower curtain rod, etc.