What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dark period of 7 days?! will the plants survive?

hello! i have a friend who wanted me to start this thread because he has some questions.

because some resons his plats have to be in a dark period for 7 days. they will have good ventilation and good temperature but no light.
they are big and healthy and are 3 weeks into flowering.

will they survive the dark period?
is there something he can do to help the plants before the dark period?
thanks

YetiOG

hello! i have a friend who wanted me to start this thread because he has some questions.

because some resons his plats have to be in a dark period for 7 days. they will have good ventilation and good temperature but no light.
they are big and healthy and are 3 weeks into flowering.

will they survive the dark period?
is there something he can do to help the plants before the dark period?
thanks

They will live, but theres no reason plants have to be in the dark for a week. Theres always a way to do things smarter than that...

When I was with my partner we shut the lights down for a number of reasons.

Electric bill, security, and orders from the breeder.

Too many places go up in smoke, they might climb really high. Just make bidder out of them. I got the 411 quick when I had to strip them of all the potential I saw.

When I was with my partner we shut the lights down for a number of reasons.

Electric bill, security, and orders from the breeder.

Too many places go up in smoke, they might climb really high. Just make bidder out of them. I got the 411 quick when I had to strip them of all the potential I saw.

thank you for the reply.
how long was your longest dark period?

YetiOG

he is not doing it for fun. he has no choice..

Lol theres always a choice. He could use his head and just leave the lights going and come back like everyone else does but i suspect this thread is more just a "hey i had an idea to waste time blah blah" then reality. You mean to tell me theres someone whos thinking is so convoluted that they cant just leave a timer plugged in and tge light plugged into the timer?

Clearly you wont be happy with any answer given because you want someone to answer what will happen, i already did, they will live but its pointless. You guys cant honestly be that thick skulled to think the only way to grow is to leave the lights off for a week.

Idk why i answered in the first place. I knew this was that type of thread. Its nonsense.

810FireFarm

Survive....yes.

Stressed flower cycle.....yes.

Chance of stress induced flowering issues.....yes. (stunted growth, hermies, etc.)

Chance of still wilting from drying out......yes. (big plants drink a lot...hydro wasn't
mentioned.)

but you already know all of this since your an ace, right?

mushroombrew

Veteran
Maybe if you gave some sort of reason as to why there is no choice?

Then these guys would be less hostile?

You ever had something on a lawn for a while and then moved it?
The grass gets super pale and stretches like crazy "looking for light".

So plants will be pale and weak. If you put HID on them after they will certainly burn.

They will be some ass looking plants but they will survive for sure.

Well i dont get why the question "do cannabis plants survive 7days of darkness" makes you guys so upset.. Its not a living animal thats going to suffer....
Its a plant..
And im not gonna explain as why the light have to be shut off, you guys just have to take my word for it.

Just forget i ever started this thread and go on with your life if this tread is offending you or hurt your feelings.. Lol

Thanks

Floridian

Veteran
I was kind of wondering the same thing last night when I saw your responses,who knows what goes through folks heads sometimes and I'm sure I'm guilty of reacting the same at times.Everyrone especially me has to understand the underlying reasons for such a unusual question.WTF are you nuts or something lol??Of course the plant will survive,it would be best to saturate the soil as best you can before this horticultural Armageddon although then you must concern youself with mold and PM issues.Shouldn't be a big deal for just a week,keep an oscillating fan going for sure though..You will get some discoloration in the leaves,when you expose it to light do so sparingly the first couple days.Keep the same photoperiod of course just less intensity the first couple days.I can imagine getting a visitor where I just couldn't let the lights shine on normally for a time,none of my business though you should just get an answer to a straightforward question asked in good faith.Get that light on back as soon as you can though!

YetiOG

Hahahah. You dont know how wrong you are boy.. This guy growed weed when you still was swimming in your fathers ballsack.. He have no fucking choise.
I will repeat so you understand. HE HAVE NO CHOISE.

Go smoke your bushweeb trimmings and feel bad because your life sucks.. :moon:

Wow you really are intelligent arent you. Retards shut lights off for a week because they arent smart enough to figure shit out.

Lol bush timm hey lol you are as clueless as they come only a butthurt lunatic talks shit to people they dont know. I could post pics but you are a waste of my time. You are clearly clueless. Its pretty clear your life is the one that sux.

Floridian

Veteran
Damn OK I should read before posting..note to self lol.Why all the hostility here?Probably unbelievably stupid to become involved at all.I just don't get it folks damn I hope this response doesn't have the opposite reaction to what I wish for,a total end to this thread which just isn't important to what I can see and everyone has talked about their experience on the subject.Peace love and Mr. Natural kids

Well i dont get why the question "do cannabis plants survive 7days of darkness" makes you guys so upset.. Its not a living animal thats going to suffer.... Its a plant..
And im not gonna explain as why the light have to be shut off, you guys just have to take my word for it.

Just forget i ever started this thread and go on with your life if this tread is offending you or hurt your feelings.. Lol
Yes it is a bit counter productive to be more concerned with why then the question itself.

As others have said the plants will probably survive OK but the plants may stretch at the tips which will break up the compact structure of the existing flowers. This new growth will be weak and lacking chlorophyll (plant needs light to produce it). When the lights come back on it may burn any new growth. Also the plants will still need water but not as much as usual, and maintaining good ventilation would be critical to avoid mold.

Cheers :)

Lrus007

Veteran
had a power outage for 6 days 1 time.
plants were almost done. was worried no fan
no light. well i watered them as needed.
the plants did ok, no mold yellowing or anything.
hope this helps.
Lrus007

I was kind of wondering the same thing last night when I saw your responses,who knows what goes through folks heads sometimes and I'm sure I'm guilty of reacting the same at times.Everyrone especially me has to understand the underlying reasons for such a unusual question.WTF are you nuts or something lol??Of course the plant will survive,it would be best to saturate the soil as best you can before this horticultural Armageddon although then you must concern youself with mold and PM issues.Shouldn't be a big deal for just a week,keep an oscillating fan going for sure though..You will get some discoloration in the leaves,when you expose it to light do so sparingly the first couple days.Keep the same photoperiod of course just less intensity the first couple days.I can imagine getting a visitor where I just couldn't let the lights shine on normally for a time,none of my business though you should just get an answer to a straightforward question asked in good faith.Get that light on back as soon as you can though!

Yes it is a bit counter productive to be more concerned with why then the question itself.

As others have said the plants will probably survive OK but the plants may stretch at the tips which will break up the compact structure of the existing flowers. This new growth will be weak and lacking chlorophyll (plant needs light to produce it). When the lights come back on it may burn any new growth. Also the plants will still need water but not as much as usual, and maintaining good ventilation would be critical to avoid mold.

Cheers :)

had a power outage for 6 days 1 time.
plants were almost done. was worried no fan
no light. well i watered them as needed.
the plants did ok, no mold yellowing or anything.
hope this helps.
Lrus007

ok thank you guys so much for the good answers :tiphat:
the plants is now in the dark period and the clock is ticking.
i will submit a new post when 7 days have passed and i will update you on the plants health.. just in case someone else in the future is wondering the same ting!

cheers

hazyfontazy

Veteran
a friend switches his off every time he goes on holiday ..7 days is fine only slight deficiencies and they pick up as soon as lights back on :tiphat:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
They will definetly take a hit on production and quality. Probably also prone to hermie. Will live. Also depends on the strain. Some crank from the start, others take a couple of weeks to take off, so where in cycle is another issue.

burmese

one time i vegetated kumaoni 2-3 weeks in night with reptilight cfl 26w and through the day it was on window. that time i had police visit in sunday just when i end my freetime earlymorning bong. I keep her quick to clothing cabinet and think that she die and dry here. When i put her out after around week or so she was almost all loaded with buds and pretty healthy

Latest posts

Latest posts