What's new

Dankwolfs rks breeding project and breeding info discussion

Dankwolf

RKS soil biochemistry is something I've been researching for a while in non-Cannabis forums.

I have to wait until this Summer to test some ideas out in the great outdoors.

I've always said that the ultimate RKS stench will come from a combination of genetics and environment.

:peacock:

Soil chemistry and plant enviourment are half the battle for sure . I not sure if i have stated some basic chemistry/enviourment reqiuerments in this thread ? But i will elaborate some time on my findings . Dont have the time tonight .

PDX Dopesmoker

Some of the skunk I got in the DC region in the 80s & 90s was grown in an apple orchard in western Maryland supposedly if the terroir is really all that much of an issue. Seems like at one point in time people were pulling similarly strong skunkweed from all sorts of locations inside and out, makes me doubt you need special soil to get the stink.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Elaborate on your experience please

We got cuttings in 1981. Excellent weed, most likely the best we ever encountered, before or after. Stunk like a motherfucker, for thousands of feet from a grow. Indoor grows with 5 part mix(chemical) grown in most likely mainly sunshine #4 peat moss soil mix. Skunky as hell for 20 years. Nothing excellent fed to her or great soils used, but the reek would still prevail.

As well, I have skunk genetics still from then. Its a very prevalent odor in crosses made with it, all in promix soil and medium priced chemical/organic ferts.

Some of the skunk I got in the DC region in the 80s & 90s was grown in an apple orchard in western Maryland supposedly if the terroir is really all that much of an issue. Seems like at one point in time people were pulling similarly strong skunkweed from all sorts of locations inside and out, makes me doubt you need special soil to get the stink.

exactly.

Dankwolf

I understand ypyr point witch in my mind explains the need for the proper genetics and proper soil chemistry.

If your theory is correct your saying a salt basd fertalizer feed to plants in mirical grow potting soil (or what ever it is) will provide same terponiad profile as a well balanced organic soil feed with water/organic tea's ?
I would have to disagree if this is what you are sugesting

Farming pre 1990 was alot differnt then today.....

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I guess you ignored my post. I just mentioned that years of chemical ferts and peat moss bales didn't effect the smell at all. Its just genetics.

Dankwolf

I guess you ignored my post. I just mentioned that years of chemical ferts and peat moss bales didn't effect the smell at all. Its just genetics.

I have to strongly dissagree . For instance when some one els grows the exact cut / clones i have they come out different. Yes any one can tell they are the same strain but geno/pheno expresion'(s) are not the same .

There are many studies backing my personal ecperiance . Check in to potassium studies concerning gentic expresion . You might be surprised how such a small elamemt and its proportions can and will affect outcomes .

Its ok to agree to dissagree .

redlaser

Veteran
The skunk #1 I grew in the nineties didn’t change much, if at all, in different guerrilla locations. Grew it in promix with bottles as well, still quite skunky.
Outdoor spots varied a lot, but some were undisturbed for decades.

Skunks get hit by cars year round in this area, but there are heavier times of the year, mostly spring. Not unusual to see six or more highway kills in a thirty mile drive in spring.

Lost two chickens last month to a skunk. First morning found a dead chicken in the coop, but no blood, so no C.O.D. on that one. Next day one chicken missing, set up camera and locked coop door overnight. Coop is within 8 ft cattle fencing with electric fence outside of that.
I got the skunk stomping around, but never saw how he was getting past first fence. Probably climbed a post and cut a whole through my overhead netting and climbed down.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I have to strongly dissagree . For instance when some one els grows the exact cut / clones i have they come out different. Yes any one can tell they are the same strain but geno/pheno expresion'(s) are not the same .

There are many studies backing my personal ecperiance . Check in to potassium studies concerning gentic expresion . You might be surprised how such a small elamemt and its proportions can and will affect outcomes .

Its ok to agree to dissagree .

Sure of course, but you aren't disagreeing with a belief, theory or opinion i hold. We had a true roadkill skunk for over 20 years, and it reeked stronger than any other weed, just as all the legends say, and we grew it with peat moss bales and chemical ferts. Some people used other foods and soils sure, it was pretty irrelevant to the skunk reek. And yes I know exactly what you mean by other growers growing the same cut, different flavors. Skunk pretty much just over-ruled that, with its incredible potency of smell. If you experienced it you would know what I am talking about.

You can disagree with facts, sure, go ahead :)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Sure of course, but you aren't disagreeing with a belief, theory or opinion i hold. We had a true roadkill skunk for over 20 years, and it reeked stronger than any other weed, just as all the legends say, and we grew it with peat moss bales and chemical ferts. Some people used other foods and soils sure, it was pretty irrelevant to the skunk reek. And yes I know exactly what you mean by other growers growing the same cut, different flavors. Skunk pretty much just over-ruled that, with its incredible potency of smell. If you experienced it you would know what I am talking about.

Good post. We're in agreement the cultivar needs not be stroked.

Even if yummybud flowered a cut it would stink,
all two grams of it.

lol

Dankwolf

I agree 100% she was the go to girl with out question for many years . Still have not seen a rival in any way or form .all i am trying to say is i have been able to get some 30%-40% repersintaion through proper soil chemistr . I try to make statements that all can understand and possably show a better path for all levels of ability and knowledge. If that makes sense?

I wish i had the understanding of soil biology/chemistry that i have today 20 years ago bottom line .thanks to many here at icmag .

Happy Times

Skunks get hit by cars year round in this area, but there are heavier times of the year, mostly spring. Not unusual to see six or more highway kills in a thirty mile drive in spring.

Now that is some awesome cover!! Get to grow the stinkiest possible

On my way home from work when I go by a storage facility, I could swear I always smell skunk, never saw one in the road haha

PDX Dopesmoker

I understand ypyr point witch in my mind explains the need for the proper genetics and proper soil chemistry.

If your theory is correct your saying a salt basd fertalizer feed to plants in mirical grow potting soil (or what ever it is) will provide same terponiad profile as a well balanced organic soil feed with water/organic tea's ?
I would have to disagree if this is what you are sugesting

Farming pre 1990 was alot differnt then today.....

Oh yeah for sure things are better these days for the most part, but if you want to produce an old fashioned product then emulating the old modus operandi is probably the easiest way to get back to where you want to be. Harvesting early because you're afraid the stink will give you away might be a key factor that people who grow their stuff out 11 weeks are missing out on.

Dankwolf

Pre mature update.

Pre mature update.

Sounds like i found/been donated the male needed from a local here at ic . Could be the answer cross your fingers . Seed stock should be aviable soon and if i have anything to do with it witch i do it will be free to us good people.

The male pollen doner is not to be be named unless hr decides. Thank you all .

Dankwolf

We got cuttings in 1981. Excellent weed, most likely the best we ever encountered, before or after. Stunk like a motherfucker, for thousands of feet from a grow. Indoor grows with 5 part mix(chemical) grown in most likely mainly sunshine #4 peat moss soil mix. Skunky as hell for 20 years. Nothing excellent fed to her or great soils used, but the reek would still prevail.

As well, I have skunk genetics still from then. Its a very prevalent odor in crosses made with it, all in promix soil and medium priced chemical/organic ferts.

exactly.

All things a side . What skunk genetics do you have aviabilty to ? Do ypu have any pics ?

My goal is to make rks aviable to the people . I just dont want to see a rjrenolds thing happen to her . The small guy deserves it.

Ypu sound like you know the girl i am in search of ? She was and will always be one of a kind . She made todays best strians look like beaster .

She was out crossed a few times and that is all i have to work with . If she is out tgere i would live to even see a pic of her ?

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
tended RKS from '78 .......native Corralitos soils with few organic amendments.........reeked of rankness like none other since........

hoping somebody can hit three skunks on the slot machine........

best in quest to all ........

ganj on......

Happy Times

Sounds like i found/been donated the male needed from a local here at ic . Could be the answer cross your fingers . Seed stock should be aviable soon and if i have anything to do with it witch i do it will be free to us good people.

The male pollen doner is not to be be named unless hr decides. Thank you all .

That’s great, best of luck to you.

What’s the female going to be? Maybe I missed this from an earlier post.

TheBlaze

Exodus Kush

Look there. I've grown it multiple times, and found that skunk smell twice. Second time was an outdoor plant, that absolutely reeked of that greasy, burnt rubber, chemical, rotten, acrid smell. It was so bad it was almost nauseating when trimming. When cured, the smell took on a deeper, slightly muted smell but it was still very loud. A friend (and long time grower) was amazed I hadn't bothered to clone it. Claimed it was the smell he had been after for years, but never found. Was it an RKS smell? I don't know. Haven't been in the game long enough. Was it extremely skunky? F yes!