What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn it stinks in here!

Miraculous Meds

Ive got a room with some Samsung boards, and se 1000w hps. I place 3 strips of samsungs per 4x4, at 190w a unit from the wall, so 570w, and measured par at 30" from lights, and got 700 umol. On the se 1000w hps in a umbrella hood, i got 700 umol. I need to throw the par meter 30" under my cmh and compare. But im really impressed with cmh and led compared to hps. Both keep stretch down. Id say the cmh produces more resins, but ive got more runs under my belt with those compared to led. Ive got a seed run going under the led and hps room, and its crazy to see the same varieties stretching to the moon under the hps, while the same siblings under led are all shorter, more dense, and more structurally appealing and beautiful.

nickman

Veteran
Ive got a room with some Samsung boards, and se 1000w hps. I place 3 strips of samsungs per 4x4, at 190w a unit from the wall, so 570w, and measured par at 30" from lights, and got 700 umol. On the se 1000w hps in a umbrella hood, i got 700 umol. I need to throw the par meter 30" under my cmh and compare. But im really impressed with cmh and led compared to hps. Both keep stretch down. Id say the cmh produces more resins, but ive got more runs under my belt with those compared to led. Ive got a seed run going under the led and hps room, and its crazy to see the same varieties stretching to the moon under the hps, while the same siblings under led are all shorter, more dense, and more structurally appealing and beautiful.

How about that...!!!... :tiphat:...

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think multiple bars are probably the most efficient setup. That's why I like the spyder type designs. More even coverage.

Most of the quantum board setups I see imo will have the same flaws, to a lesser extent, as hid's. Mainly that it's more of a centralized light source. The great thing about these shop lights is that I can put a plant anywhere under them and I know it's getting great coverage.

Owning both an HLG 600 watt panel and a couple of COB rigs, I'm inclined to agree with you regarding coverage area.

I've been toying with the idea of adding individual COBs in my tent to add to the HLG panel to get some better light around the perimeter.

Scrappy-doo

Owning both an HLG 600 watt panel and a couple of COB rigs, I'm inclined to agree with you regarding coverage area.

I've been toying with the idea of adding individual COBs in my tent to add to the HLG panel to get some better light around the perimeter.

Nice to hear some confirmation.

Do you find it overly intense directly under the lights? That's my only question regarding the 320w quantum boards and whether it might be better to just pony up and go with a multi bar setup.

A par meter would be nice to have!

I've always thought the increased resins were from the uv in the cmh.

There's some real interesting university work being done now by Dr Bruce Bugbee regarding this and other cannabis specific research.

He has a bunch of videos which I found to be excellent! I recommend checking all of them out to everyone who wants to know some cutting edge info on light and how our favorite plant responds to it!

Here's a great one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID9rE5JewVg

And a good interview with the MIGRO guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1O3OD-dI20

gmanwho

Veteran
definitely can see the benefit of multiple strips verse one centralized cob area. firm believer of distributing that wattage/ppfd/par whatever out over a wider area. i always used to say i'd rather run 3 600's se then 2 1000's se. maybe i should rethink the next cob purchase an go with strips instead.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to hear some confirmation.

Do you find it overly intense directly under the lights? That's my only question regarding the 320w quantum boards and whether it might be better to just pony up and go with a multi bar setup.

A par meter would be nice to have!
Yes to the point it causes stress to the plant/s directly underneath it. To combat this, I've raised the lights as high as they can go in my tent - ~6" from the roof and 32" above my top screen. This is only my second grow under them though, so take everything with a grain of salt, if you will.

If I were to do it again, I'd get 2 of the 320 watt boards instead of the single 600 watt to help get light a little more even around the 5x5.
definitely can see the benefit of multiple strips verse one centralized cob area. firm believer of distributing that wattage/ppfd/par whatever out over a wider area. i always used to say i'd rather run 3 600's se then 2 1000's se. maybe i should rethink the next cob purchase an go with strips instead.
I'm really happy with my COBs. I have 2 rigs of 12, spread out out over a 2 42" squares to cover a 4x8 footprint very nicely.

If I were to do COBs again, I would definitely make sure to mix my spectrums up. The 3500k Vero 29's I have produce a little too much leaf imo. Some added red would help flower production from everything I've seen and read. That's why I'm adding some additional 630nm diodes and probably some 660nm as well.

But everything I've seen produced under the multi strip lights would probably get me to lean that way heavily if I were shopping for new lights now.

Fluence, Gavita, ProGrowTech, Grower's Choice, ChilLED, etc. Hell, even HLG has their Sabers now. And the few people on here that have them really seem to like them.

Have you seen Lapides write up on the rig he built? If I were to get another tent, I'd probably go with his suggestions.

Scrappy-doo

That's not a fast plant, THIS is a fast plant!

Orange Kush - 42 days
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Scrappy-doo

She's a clone only, usually done around 8 weeks. Seriously delicious orange sherbert type smell.

Even though she has a nice fade, I'm not taking her down till I get closer to her normal harvest window. 6 weeks is way too early for any plant imo and looking at the lower buds I can see she still could use another week at least.

Not sure why but several plants are looking ripe earlier than usual this round. Only thing that's changed is I've increased light intensity. Usually if something finishes early I think it's stress related but these girls look pretty happy so who knows. Certainly not complaining though!

EDIT - Herb that's a 2 gallon pot.

nickman

Veteran
Yeah I feel ya on the not harvesting plants too early... I won’t harvest anything under 8 weeks period...!!!... Even than I always like to go to 9-10 weeks for my preferred medicine...!!!...

KingCobra66

She's a clone only, usually done around 8 weeks. Seriously delicious orange sherbert type smell.

Even though she has a nice fade, I'm not taking her down till I get closer to her normal harvest window. 6 weeks is way too early for any plant imo and looking at the lower buds I can see she still could use another week at least.

Not sure why but several plants are looking ripe earlier than usual this round. Only thing that's changed is I've increased light intensity. Usually if something finishes early I think it's stress related but these girls look pretty happy so who knows. Certainly not complaining though!

yes scrappy to early to take she looks like she will do well in yield and I would not complain either :) clone only hope seed one day :)

Stardog

Nice work Scrappy, as always. That Orange Kush is one of my top ten for sure and #1 for sleep. If I'm smoking that when I'm working I usually cut out early and go down for 14 hours solid.:tiphat:

gmanwho

Veteran
hell ya that OK is a great plant, while only clocking in at 18% it defiantly has some other properties that come into play. the thc test could have fooled me the way she is.no joke about sleep meds

was just reminiscing to stardog about a top drip system i had her in. res was setup as a constant tea brewer with mix of synthetic nutes an various tea components. an man was that an intense run of her. now that shes back(an i hope not a mislabel) im planning the same area again.

just a photo of her while im day dreaming, not to hijack, im just excited about her thats all....

enjoying the thread scrappy!

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts