What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn hydrohut

rocketman

Mar2k : Good luck on that Galaxy system, I had looked at that also. Have you looked at HID Hut, they have there own digital ballast and they say it puts out no RF inter. Also that Lumatek goes for like $150. The question is, has anyone done any business with Growco and are they any good?

Maj. PotHead : I have had personal problems with local grow shops and LEO. I also have heard from other people that they are not safe. So for your own sake, BE CAREFUL !!

Nite Tiger. Well I am fighting with a cheap Ballast problems right now, and to me it wasn't worth the little money I saved. Don't ever buy a switchable ballast with a cheap 120V switch. They won't last, and when they go they can take out your ballast and light. So I say you get what you pay for. I may have to pay a few more bucks but I get good systems and hopefully they work for a long time :)

Anyway thanks everyone for the addys and all the info. I will check them all out. I sure like that Lumatek though with the 6" flow through Hydrofarm Daystar AC Reflector and the Lumatek ballast. Peace RM

G

You believe a relatively small city like Tampa has 3 hydro stores,and across the bridge in St.Pete are a few more lol.We sure like out tomatoes I reckon down here yonder.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
rocketman said:
Nite Tiger. Well I am fighting with a cheap Ballast problems right now, and to me it wasn't worth the little money I saved. Don't ever buy a switchable ballast with a cheap 120V switch. They won't last, and when they go they can take out your ballast and light. So I say you get what you pay for. I may have to pay a few more bucks but I get good systems and hopefully they work for a long time :)

Peace RM

Hey bro, as long as you're happy, I'm happy for ya :D I was just pointing out that there's no need to drop $300+ to get started with HIDs, especially a 250w. Even on nice sets, there are much better deals out there.

marx2k

Veteran
Heh, I didn't even know HIDHut does EBay auctions. Thats kind of funny. I am planning on selling a spare non-digital ballast/reflector on EBay (400W HPS, gets hot but Ive used it for 4 years with no problems), see how much I get for that. If enough, I might upgrade my SunSystem 400W non-digital to a digital.. though the 400W SunSystem non-digital also makes zero noise and is a pleasant warm to the touch. Hell, maybe I WONT trade it :) Its got a nice timer on it, too!

marx2k

Veteran
Holy shit on a hockey stick, the shipping for that EBay auction to my midwestern location is $36 UPS and $56 USPS!!!

Im pretty sure I paid LESS than that in S/H for my non-digital 400W + Reflector which Im thinking is heavier than the model HIDHut is hawking on EBay.

rocketman

Maj.PotHead, your right sounds like I should stay away from SD.

Nite Tiger, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, my problem is I want a Digital Ballast and I like that Daystar AC reflector by Hydrofarm. A 10 lb. reflector with glass and 6" built in flanges. My room gets very hot in the summer and I am trying to do something about it. (should have told you that before). That Lumatek Ballast goes for $160 and the reflector for around $150. I need small and light. I like those larger reflectors but just to heavy.

Thanks guys for all the info.

marx2k

Veteran
rocketman said:
Thanks for the addy tokin 420, I'll check it out.
Mar2k That would be great, I need all the info I can get. We should have a list of all the safe places to go (on the net) and how there service was, maybe have it on the front page, like earmarked so we all can use it. Also, sorry I don't mean to be taking over this thread so I will say thanks to all for the info. RM

:( It's on backorder

grrrrr

G

i would have to say that developing a good relationship with a local shop would be your best choice. you will get advice and service that can't be beat. local shops also take care of any and all warranty and defective product problems for you(a huge plus). besides, i would rather give my cash to a local small scale working man(oops, or woman) lol
if you want to shop online i would recommend www.growlights.net . fast, simple, discreet, good pricing. the best i've ever bought from online by far.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
WhyMe said:
i would have to say that developing a good relationship with a local shop would be your best choice. you will get advice and service that can't be beat. local shops also take care of any and all warranty and defective product problems for you(a huge plus). besides, i would rather give my cash to a local small scale working man(oops, or woman) lol
if you want to shop online i would recommend www.growlights.net . fast, simple, discreet, good pricing. the best i've ever bought from online by far.

The problem with buying high dollar stuff at the local shop is you pay a pretty penny for their products. Yes, the support is good (usually! it could suck just as bad as an online shop) but when my local shop quoted me something absurd like $700 for a 600w digital HPS system I couldnt take them seriously. Sure, Ill buy my nutes and little stuff like pump filter bags there but anything else just isnt worth the markup.

G

ItsGrowTime said:
The problem with buying high dollar stuff at the local shop is you pay a pretty penny for their products. Yes, the support is good (usually! it could suck just as bad as an online shop) but when my local shop quoted me something absurd like $700 for a 600w digital HPS system I couldnt take them seriously. Sure, Ill buy my nutes and little stuff like pump filter bags there but anything else just isnt worth the markup.

i guess my local guy in more in tune with the world cause i got a 1k digital w/hortilux for $ 630. it's the owner and his wife and a few part time people. i coulda probably saved another 50 if i shopped online. even if it's 100 bucks more i'll still support my locals. just what i believe in i guess.

jcsmooth

ItsGrowTime said:

Internet shopping is damn competition ain't it?
The only stuff I buy in a brick and mortar store are items that are too heavy to ship (i.e. soil, soil amendments, and sometimes cloning equipment).

Don't get me wrong, I do love to support local merchants (especially food items...the closer they are the fresher they are, and it takes less fossil fuels to get to my door) but if you find an item that's significantly cheaper online, I don't hesitate to buy it.
Maybe I'd think otherwise if I had more disposable income, but for now, the better business gets my business.

Hope everyone is enjoying their hydrohuts out there!
JC

BudZad7

:wave: Hi All ! HydroHut 4' x 8' get the new Sun Systems Gro Pro Dual 600 HPS
light setup 1 ballast and 2 hoods 600 watts each check this out;;; :woohoo:

:wave: Peace!