What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dakines NEW Fresh Start-Multiple Strains

Dakine

Veteran
I would check soil ph first its alot more important then your water ph long as water is not like 3 or 9 lol.

Bat 9-3-1 fast acting real fast . you also put blood meal at 12-0-0 thats 21-3-1 if you dosed as box says (sounds n rich for flowering). plus what ever ypur soil already had .there are 24 tsp in a half cup so it would be good for like 18 to 24 gallons of unfertalized soil. that mix you made would dam near kill half my strains .

In the pm i sent you i said water ph is not that important .and i explained why to an exstent.

Pshh thats just because your a shitty grower,dont know shit!, and your plants cant handle A Good Dose of Some Good Shit In Their Veins!!

LOL Plyz dont take that seriously. I need your help hahaha:laughing:
im just so frustrated right now over this issue.

Im not sure why but even when my old plants about a year ago outdoors where having some issues. They would always readjust themselves after awhile and I wouldnt care that much about them. Nothing like how serious im taking this current issue :blowbubbles:

Dank bro try look at the mixes/nutes in the link I posted in my post above this one. Theyre putting alot more nutes into there mix with FFOF or Pro Mix and a couple others..

IDC what they do though, im gonna listen to you guys. Even TnT said the same thing about the ph of my tap water. He said its not that big of an issue..

Im almost home. im gonna do some soil readings. Also look up on what adding lime would do.

Thanks for sticking for the ride and helpin me out so I can start rollin with you good growers.

Dankwolf

Your good . this is when the idea of less is more is vary inportant. You are on the verg of going from the ordanary grower to the top 10% grower. Take your time with changes and others ideas they dont always mix well lol. Any way reading up on lime will teach you more then any one would want to know about soil lol it will be fun for the next few days . after you understand lime you will also learn about cal/mag . after all that check out slownickel s thread on cec .

Dakine

Veteran
Hey Rocky, thats kinda exactly what I wanted to do as well. I wanted to make my mix light to be cautious, but also so I could feed them if they needed it. Instead of putting to much in my mix, and having a problem just like the problem I have now lol... Do you know what ingerdients your going to use for the experiment in the GH? What plants you gonna use?

Dank- So I should get another bag of a light mix but peat based rather then using/adding lightwarrior? Also gotta get another big bag of perlite and some lime.

I seriously feel like throwing a buncha concrete mix at my hot soil mix and yelling "Heres your lime bitch! Fuck Off!!" lol

But thats what I would like to do. I want to be able to still feed so I can have a little more control on there nute intake..Since I gotta go to the store I might just call them now to see what kind of lime they have and what size lol...

Have you guys used those Co2 Bags? Basically just let the bag open and there small bag produces enough for about a 4x4 area, and its only 30-35$ I think. But you should elevate it, or attach some kind of fan &/Or Duct to be able to aim the co2 over the plants since co2 will sink to the floor(I think)..

Dankwolf

Dry ice is a cheap source of co2 that actuly works in a isulated metal coffe can with holes in the lid for a slow release . but honestly unless you have a sealed room there is no piont. Just a waist of money .

Ya fully understand the fuststration lol. Been there and will be there again but fuck it if your not having problumes your not pushing the envelope.

Yes a peat based soil with little added would be a good idea if you want to be able to adjust nutes on the fly (steer the boat sorta speak).

I am not familiar with light warrior . but what ever you can find thats bug free and light on amendments.ss4 is good but it has bug issues alot of the time .

Dakine

Veteran
Oh Yea!! I forgot about dryice lol. Could even get one of those halloween foggers, to be able to direct the co2 towards the plants! Or I could get the 35$ Bag from Grow Shop that looks like a Bunch of rotten moldy milk lol.. I could put 1 in my flowering tent!? I think I should get my shit dialed in first. That would suck If i got that co2 bag and my problems get worse since I didnt fix the first problems lol...

Even though this has been one of my worst grows EVER, I can honestly say its the grow I learned the most from. Thanks to you guys, straight up. Fox Farms Light Warrior is mainly for germinating/seedlings and very young plants in veg.
"Light Warrior® is the ultimate grow medium for seed starting and transplanting. And it isn’t just a grow medium—we pack it with beneficial microbes to stimulate root growth and enhance fertilizer uptake, humic acid to help in seed germination, and earthworm castings to help plants thrive."

It doesnt have nutes like Ocean Forest Does. Alot of guys usually do a mix of 1/2 FFOF & 1/2 Light warrior,to cool down the FFOF. But also to germinate and keep till early veg..

So speaking of learning from the grow lol. I wanted to have a bin of my old soil that I could add nutes to, and use for the bottom of my outdoor soil bed.. So I started emptying the 3gal pot that had my Skywalker in outside... This is what I get for using the flower/tapered pots that are wide on the top and get smaller towards the bottom. I THOUGHT I used a stick to make sure the sides where totally filled with soil.. BOY WAS I WRONG !!

I dont even remember using dug up outdoor soil in the 1gallon pot before I transplanted to the 3gal. The Dirt was to Dense so the roots couldnt penetrate it AT ALL. Plus the sides werent filled with soil.. Now we know why she didnt give real buds lol...

In this next pic, on the right side is the Skywalkers rootbound rootball from the 1gal, On the left is the Dug up outdoor soil that apparently was on the bottom of the 3gal I transplanted her into, to flower.

I swear this better be my last time I ever use junk soil/dirt, because I dont want to wait A Couple days to transplant. I end up screwing myself over blaming genetics when it was mE...

Heres A 1-Gal that had junk Dirt/soil at the bottom of the pot. The Roots couldnt go into it as well..

What do you guys usually keep your old soil/root bound soil in, to use for a later purpose? I think im going to either put the old stuff in a rubbermade tote/container, or my old incomplete worm bin and ill put some worms in it and put everything at the bottom of my raised soil bed after the 1st run..

What im unsure of, is when to throw the soil in the oven to kill any bugs. Do I do it before I add some organic nutes? Or would I do it after 1-2months of prepping it, after the microbes made there guano, and then add the worms? But baking it after 2months of prepping would kill the soil life right? Baking it before would create much higher chances of all those bugs coming back...

Last edited:

Dankwolf

Oh Yea!! I forgot about dryice lol. Could even get one of those halloween foggers, to be able to direct the co2 towards the plants! Or I could get the 35$ Bag from Grow Shop that looks like a Bunch of rotten moldy milk lol.. I could put 1 in my flowering tent!? I think I should get my shit dialed in first. That would suck If i got that co2 bag and my problems get worse since I didnt fix the first problems lol...

Even though this has been one of my worst grows EVER, I can honestly say its the grow I learned the most from. Thanks to you guys, straight up. Fox Farms Light Warrior is mainly for germinating/seedlings and very young plants in veg.
"Light Warrior® is the ultimate grow medium for seed starting and transplanting. And it isn’t just a grow medium—we pack it with beneficial microbes to stimulate root growth and enhance fertilizer uptake, humic acid to help in seed germination, and earthworm castings to help plants thrive."

It doesnt have nutes like Ocean Forest Does. Alot of guys usually do a mix of 1/2 FFOF & 1/2 Light warrior,to cool down the FFOF. But also to germinate and keep till early veg..

So speaking of learning from the grow lol. I wanted to have a bin of my old soil that I could add nutes to, and use for the bottom of my outdoor soil bed.. So I started emptying the 3gal pot that had my Skywalker in outside... This is what I get for using the flower/tapered pots that are wide on the top and get smaller towards the bottom. I THOUGHT I used a stick to make sure the sides where totally filled with soil.. BOY WAS I WRONG !!

[URL=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/wipeout808/IMG_0974.jpg]View Image[/URL]

I dont even remember using dug up outdoor soil in the 1gallon pot before I transplanted to the 3gal. The Dirt was to Dense so the roots couldnt penetrate it AT ALL. Plus the sides werent filled with soil.. Now we know why she didnt give real buds lol...

In this next pic, on the right side is the Skywalkers rootbound rootball from the 1gal, On the left is the Dug up outdoor soil that apparently was on the bottom of the 3gal I transplanted her into, to flower.

[URL=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/wipeout808/IMG_0973.jpg]View Image[/URL]

I swear this better be my last time I ever use junk soil/dirt, because I dont want to wait A Couple days to transplant. I end up screwing myself over blaming genetics when it was mE...

Heres A 1-Gal that had junk Dirt/soil at the bottom of the pot. The Roots couldnt go into it as well..

[URL=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/wipeout808/IMG_0975.jpg]View Image[/URL]

What do you guys usually keep your old soil/root bound soil in, to use for a later purpose? I think im going to either put the old stuff in a rubbermade tote/container, or my old incomplete worm bin and ill put some worms in it and put everything at the bottom of my raised soil bed after the 1st run..

What im unsure of, is when to throw the soil in the oven to kill any bugs. Do I do it before I add some organic nutes? Or would I do it after 1-2months of prepping it, after the microbes made there guano, and then add the worms? But baking it after 2months of prepping would kill the soil life right? Baking it before would create much higher chances of all those bugs coming back...

If you need to bakebit bake it befor you re amend it . remending takes practice and abgood knowlege of what plant had used up.

When ever i transplant i give the plant atleast a week to fill out new soil if not its pointless .

Thr light warrior sounds like it woul work to help fix your soil issue . 2 parts yoyr soil 1 1/2 parts light warrior 1/2 a part peralite would be a good start . plus the lime i talked about. The lime really comes in to play when reamending. Just got to be carfull . hope that reading up is helping you understand soil a little better .

Dakine

Veteran
K so bake old soil that has bugs.. 130-150degrees for 30min-1hour max is recommended apparently.. Then mix with nutrients,put mix in clean trashbin,water with black strap molasses,open bin 1xDaily to air out,put mix in raised bed 2-3days before transplant,Add top 1/2 of bed with repaired unused FFOF/LightWarrior mix, and add worms.. 3days later put plants in bed!!!-I need to post this in the semi-auto thread since those are the girls in this first run...

Dank bro the girls where in those pots for 1-2months after transplant.. I meant that I fucked up cause I couldn't wait 1-3days to get new soil before I transplanted them..

I'm going to start reading up on the Lime later today.. Would it still be needed though? Cause I'm adding 1-Bag of Light Warrior and 1/2Big Bag of Perlite to my 1 1/2-Bags of FFOF Semi Nitrogen hot Flowering Mix.

So I used 7.2-7.4 ish ph plain tap water to water the girls and I collected the mostly clear run off into a cup and the ph was 6.8-6.9..

EDIT- I just remembered that the used soil was super high in nitrogen from chemical ferts. The girls had to get cut early because of the major clawing / drooping. 1-started to hermi so I took them out from the tent so I could flower the sssdh girls with out worrying..

Dankwolf

Ypur soils is probably acidic if your puting in 7.4 and coming out with 6.8 how acidic i dont know but if i were to guess i would say like 6.0 but idont use the drian off theory . i use prob style meter for soil test they are not real acurit but they give a ball park.

Lime helps counter act the the way peat based mix's brake down and get acidic and helps buffer high npk values . i use it in all peat based soil mix's

If your going to do the run off check i would use 6.0 ph ro water and see what you get i would almost bet it will come out at 6.2 or lower if it does you would be smart to add lime to bring ph of soil to like 6.8 . . below 6.8 ph you had better have your npk s on piont if not burn or overdose/high ec will be the results .

I am not a soil scientist so a second opinion would also be a good idea maybe i am missing something .

Last edited:

slipdefeu

Yo!

Not a soil pro too... but sure if you gave nutes at same time you've prepared a strong soilmix, that's not good, yep looks like a nitrogen overfeed.
I have an advice for you mate, keep cool and relax, i can see you're very excited for this grow, that's probably why problems happen :biggrin:
Sometimes you want to do the best and finally mix some programs and the shit begin!

If your tap water is 7.4 and your run-off shows 6.8, that means, like dankwolf said, that the soil's pH turn around 6, not a problem i think, because the soil buffer is working and will up slowely.

the "better" is the ennemy of the "good":biggrin:

In the past i prepared a strong mix for a vertical grow with big pots
The mix was too strong and plants never became healthy, roots colonized only a quarter of the pots....when i was not here, my bro feed them with liquid fertilizers....it was a big fail

I've a lot of friends who're running soil mix, coco mix, no-till....i can post you some shemas and photos if you want it ;)

Sorry i can't really help you myself because i'm in coco with mineral feed for a long time now...that's why i just post here
Hope you'll find good issues dak!

TnTLabs

wow.. a lot has happend here since my last post...
Dakine.. you are on the right track.. concentrate on your soil...
get the ph in check... what you found with the runoff is just a rough estimate... do a slury test with distilled water / or from a AC.. thats a coco way, but will also work with soil...
200ml soil and 500ml distilled water agitated for a couple min, let it sit 10 min... stir again and then read... check ec whilst you are at it.. it wont be accurate but give you a idea..

yes your soil seems acidic... yes get lime... i concur with a lot of Dankwolf comments..
get some new soil and mix it with your one.. if you want to use ferts, then mix in the same amount of light mix and the rest of the perlite bag
BUT id say keep it simple bro... dont use the ferts... just complicates things even more..you should be ok with just water, molasses and can then top dress here and there!
get a feel for your soil and plants first.. seems like you are fighting too many problems..
minimize them and keep it simple... soil, water, molasses and love...
ditch the co2 bags.. waste of money...
Look into the biotabs yes.. pricey but perfect for a beginner... takes the stress and problems away and lets you get to know your plants properly

Dakine

Veteran
Hey you guys, heres a little update on whats going on besides my toxicity issue lol..

These clones where the small branches off the bottom of the 2-flowering SSSDH girls. This is the first time I ever scraped material off to create a bigger area for the roots to form. Its also the first time I tried to clone A stem thats been topped with 2 small branches coming from them..Also the first time I ever tried to clone A 2-3millimeter top..

They dont look good but its mostly just the lowest growth. New growth & Higher growth is doing good. I leave the lower growth on until it falls off its self so the plant can get the nutrients from the leaves..

Heres A shot of how much better the Cuts do when you scrape the bottom of the stem that is below the top of the rockwool.. Almost all the cuts have roots coming out the top!!

Heres the 2 SSSDH girls on 8 days of flower. The #2 Tall&Sturdy girl wasnt showing pre flowers until 1-2 days ago. #1 Bushy Girl showed them on 3rd-4th day.. They where about 27-28inch going into flower. #1 Bushy is 34inches tall and #2 Tall&Sturdy is 36 inches tall..

#1 Bushy Girl-

#2 Tall&Sturdy Girl

Dankwolf

Hey you guys, heres a little update on whats going on besides my toxicity issue lol..

These clones where the small branches off the bottom of the 2-flowering SSSDH girls. This is the first time I ever scraped material off to create a bigger area for the roots to form. Its also the first time I tried to clone A stem thats been topped with 2 small branches coming from them..Also the first time I ever tried to clone A 2-3millimeter top..

They dont look good but its mostly just the lowest growth. New growth & Higher growth is doing good. I leave the lower growth on until it falls off its self so the plant can get the nutrients from the leaves..

[URL=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/wipeout808/IMG_1050.jpg]View Image[/URL]

Heres A shot of how much better the Cuts do when you scrape the bottom of the stem that is below the top of the rockwool.. Almost all the cuts have roots coming out the top!!

[URL=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/wipeout808/IMG_1049.jpg]View Image[/URL]

Heres the 2 SSSDH girls on 8 days of flower. The #2 Tall&Sturdy girl wasnt showing pre flowers until 1-2 days ago. #1 Bushy Girl showed them on 3rd-4th day.. They where about 27-28inch going into flower. #1 Bushy is 34inches tall and #2 Tall&Sturdy is 36 inches tall..

#1 Bushy Girl-[URL=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/wipeout808/IMG_1051.jpg]View Image[/URL]

#2 Tall&Sturdy Girl
[URL=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/wipeout808/IMG_1052.jpg]View Image[/URL]

I am still digging nuber 2 girl . she just gives the vibe like she will be beautiful .

Never tried scraping some of the outer layer from clones to get better rooting . i remeber reading about it in cc mag years ago just never remembered to try . so i will give it a go on next run of clones .thanks for the info dakine.

Dakine

Veteran
So today I will be mixing the bag and 1/2 of lightwarrior with the Semi-Hot FFOF Soil mix. Reading up on Organics,and nutrient deficiency and toxicity issues,and Lime....I will be taking close ups of the 2-SSSDH girls as best I can so we can see some flowering going on.. I will also be taking pics of TnT Genetics, so stop by in my other threads if you have the time!!

I honestly think #2 Tall&Sturdy girl has to be getting better. The first 4-5 days she wasnt growing like the #1-Bushy Girl was, and #2 looked super slow going into flowering mode.But in the past 2-3 days she has almost caught up with the #1-Bushy Girl,Height wise and pre flowers/flowering.

Tnt- So are you saying to get rid of the semi-hot Nitrogen mix? Instead of mixing the Lightwarrior and Perlite into it, to cool it down? I already have 3 Brand new Bags of FFOF,1 1/2 new bags of Light Warrior, and 1 1/2 big bags of Perlite already.. They where for the raised bed I wanted to make, but I could always get more if I need to use some..

Right now Im making A Water mix/feed of Plain Tap Water that was left out for about 30 hours,1/2 Tsp of Black Strap Molasses, and about 1/16 Tsp of Great White in 1.2 Gallon Container. Its been Aerating with Fish/Oxygen Pump for 1 1/2 hours.

Ill do the slurry test, I just gotta get Distilled Water Later, haha so many people are buying those co2 bags nowadays, so I thought they got better/actually make a difference..Ill look up those Biotabs a little later when I read up on Lime.

Dank, thats true. I have to get the N-P-K on point, other wise trying to do anything else will be pointless. Atleast I can learn and solve the issues I have now and get my shit dialed in. So the girls&clones I have vegging will be able to grow/flower at a higher potential.. Using water with a stable Ph wouldve been alot smarter lol, instead of checking runoff with RO Water, is the Slurry test w/ Distilled water better or should I do both?

Hey Slip! Where you ever able to save those plants after your bro fed them to much? Yeah man post those photos! Im actually debating on making my Raised Bed into A No-Till Set up.. I have some Red Worms and Free Castings on there way to me as we type lol!

Dakine

Veteran
Hey Dank, what time is it for you right now? I swear lol, I dont like the structure of #2 Tall&Sturdy. I do like how thick and strong her stems are,plus they dont seem hollow. I tried to crush/bend her stems 2 days ago cause I wanted to try get an even canopy, but I couldnt fully crush her stems with my left fingers and she didnt want to even bend to the side a little bit.. #1-Bushy Girl took it like she should, and bent over with out A fight lol..

I never had a problem getting my cuts to root, I always had 100%, but its not like I take big numbers.. But since I never had issues, I didnt want to fuck it up and mess with my process by scraping outter layers of the stem off.. But I thought about it and since I just got 100% with last run, I figured my technique is doing the job, so lets try tolearn some new ways to take clones..

I take the outer green layers off with one side of scissors or razor, until I see the white layer about to be visible(Forgot what the inside is called).. Then I soak in water for 10-30min, then Re cut my angled cut at very bottom, soak in water for 5-10min, then take the cut out of water and gently wack it in the air to get excess water off,then dip in Clonex gel and stick in rockwool..

I know you already got your technique down, but incase any1 wanted to know my unsanitary 100% success cloning method there it is lol.. Forgot to add- always had a cigarrette lit (Newports) alternating it in each hand!!

TnTLabs

stop the cigs guys haha... nassssty... smoke more erb
#2 looks hungry... can you take pics in normal daylight? looking at the plants and then the clones looks deff like a ph problem.. the clones have a fuller green.. plants are pale...
yeah im more and more thinking ph is too low... your soil is prob rich and full of nutes.. so cant be that.. lockout going on
im inclined to say only use your soil mix as top dress, very sparingly ...its safer.. less that can go wrong.. or mix your soil mix with all the bags you have there and use that for the soil beds, it will thin it out for sure.. but deff dont use it as it is for anything...
In Liters.. how many bags of soil, perlite etc you got?
pls list em up

Slury is always with distilled... you can use the waste water from your ac if you have one..

and yes scraping clones gives the best results as the plant starts to heal itself and when the area is dark and moist, automatically roots are formed

Dakine

Veteran
Gonna check the Ph of the Water that has Black Strap Molasses, and Great White.. I want to atleast give #1-Bushy Girl some nutrients/food in her water, since she seems to be doing ok. But Nope I think I should wait till #2Tall&Sturdy Bitch gets better..

So I might train/bend/crush the biggest stem on the #1-Bushy Girl to try to even out the canopy. This might be the last time I crush&bend stems. Some people say/do it up until 4weeks of flowering..

But I will be semi-crushing stems in multiple places on the same stems on both plants, to make Bigger transfers/ Highways for nutrients to be delivered. I'll do this probably up to another 1-2 weeks max. I want them to be stress free as much as possible the last 4-6 weeks of flower.

SSSDH-#1-Bushy Girl, 8-Days into Flower,34inch Tall

#1-Bushy Girl, Top Shot

SSSDH-#2 Tall&Sturdy Bitch 8-Days into Flower, Nitrogen Toxicity Issues,36inch tall

#2 Tall&Sturdy Bitch Top Shot

Duo Shot, Structure Shot, Its dark because Hps was set to 100watts for picture

I also got some pics up of the 8day from initial soak TnT Genetics, if you want to see the MOST SUPER DUPER INTERESTING seedling pics. The 2 grows are in my signature lol...

TnTLabs

ok, there we go, the hps was making it impossible to judge correctly..
what every you have been doing the last days is working.. they are looking good man
no tip burn and great green on the leaves... i still wouldnt feed though.. the soil is doing its thing...
yeah let the great white and molasses bubble for about 12hrs... that will be perfect...
aint looking as bad as i thought... you are deff on the right track!
good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts