What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dakines NEW Fresh Start-Multiple Strains

Dakine

Veteran
Little Update

Little Update

Wats up you guys? So the SSSDH thats outside flowering will be chopped.. But will be replaced with another girl/clone that will be outside. Its A clone from the #2 Tall&Sturdy Tranny Girl haha, im sure my friend will be happy once he knows that.,.

#1 Bushy Girl-SSSDH

1 Clone from the girl above

Dakine

Veteran
Gastro, I think youd like the other pheno better. The girl with A more Indica type of structure, but she grew out a couple balls switching to flower.. I have her still growing at my friends house, in an old tent he set up specifically for me, incase I needed to move some plants or save moms/strains..
The #1 Bushy Pheno in the post earlier is 1 month and about 4-6 days into flower. So she still has up to A month and A half of flowering left.. I really want to transplant her into A 5gal Smart pot from the 3Gal Plastic Pot that shes in right now. I know transplanting in flower will stress A plant out alot, but shes already rootbound in the pot she was transplanted into at the beginning of flower...

The girls in the flower tent are all different ages into flower.. I wanted to try and make A perpetual tent once I got the tent and soils/nutes dialed in. So basically every 2-4weeks I'd be harvesting something..

GastroGrower

Yeah, those buds are gonna thicken up quite a bit once you get further into flower.

A perpetual harvest is possible but it does take some planning and knowing your strains really well.

Dakine

Veteran
Have you shown us Any pics of what the SSSDH looks like now? Or did you actually already chop her down to make room for the clone? How many more clones are you going to take? Have you thought about popping any more seeds?
I cant wait to see what the buds look like indoors of the SSSDH.. Somethings telling me its not going to have the Calyx formation like the girl I just chopped that was flowering outside... The indoor plant calyx just look way to small... They smell totally different to, which sucks lol...

Yeah man I have A ways to go until I can call my grow A perpetual grow. Its not even dialed in yet haha. BUT I do have enough strains to have A DAMN GOOD variety once everything is dialed in...

Heres A couple shots of the clones I kinda left out for A couple weeks after they had roots popping out from the rockwool.. They dried out more then A couple times lol, I was just to lazy/sick to put them into some soil...

OH ALSO what do you think about my idea on Transplanting/Up Potting the SSSDH Girl in Flower tent that has 1 1/2months ATLEAST more to go? Shes been rootbound for about 2 1/2 weeks already.. I think she would go through less stress Up Potted in A bigger Pot, then staying rootbound in the current 3gal shes in..

GastroGrower

As far as transplanting in flower, I can't really say if it's a bad idea or not. My understanding was that you generally don't want to do anything past week 3 of bloom.

Yeah, I already chopped the SSSDH. Not really worth sharing what came off, haha. Only a handful of buds that I'd save to smoke. It's all gonna go in the hash run. The smell once they dried and started curing was really heavy on the pine/cleaner smell with a light, but even undertone of the diesel.

The roots on those clones are looking great. Obviously doing well enough to survive the occasional drought, haha. What size pots are you planning on popping into?

I've got 8 of those Pink Bazooka hybrids that are coming up in Rockwool, so I gotta get through some of those before I can allow myself to pop any more seeds. Fucking space limits and such. They're looking good though and will be ready to transplant in a week or two max.

Then I can start more.....

Dakine

Veteran
Yeah I've read that its not good to transplant in flower at all. If possible its best to avoid doing it. But if its absolutely needed, and theres more then 1-month left then its do-able. I forgot what solution it was exactly, but I remember reading something that said to water the plant your going to be transplanting in some type of root solution to avoid shock/stress?
-Damn I thought you where going to try and grow the SSSDH girl out haha. I guess its better to just cut it down and get to working on the next run and not waste time on something that wont produce.
-Those Clones will be put into 1/2Gallon pots for now. I dont have anymore space in my veg area lol. I could put them into bigger pots and throw them outside or in the tent to flower though.
-Those PinkBazooka Hybrids are all from seed? Damn man you got alot of work to do in searching for phenos/keepers. Plus you have the other plants as well. What other strains are you planning to run in the near future/next run?

For any of you that have been using smart/dirt pots, I have A question. So I just recently Up-Potted A few of my plants into different sized smart pots.
***I've probably watered them about twice since then. I've noticed that the soil in the pots have compacted a little bit and theres still room inbetween the soil that has taken the shape of the pot, and the inside fabric of the pot. I waited hours after watering to see if the soil would expand and fill that space, but it never did..
- So Do I Fill that Gap with more Soil? I have that gap between the soil and inside fabric in all of the smart pots I've transplanted girls into..

Im asking this dumb question just to make sure. I think I should, but I dont know if thats something the smart pots do in order to help root growth/air pruning/roots latching onto the fabric or what lol...

Does anyone have any input on the "Dirt Pots"? There apparently the same as Smart Pots, but A different company makes them.
The 3-Gal Dirt pot is like A bleached version of A smart pot. It looks like on of those actual dirt pots that degrade into the soil when you pot the whole pot into the ground.. It also looks like Dried Shammy material haha..
The 1,5,7,and 10-Gallon Dirt Pots are A different color. Its like A light Charcoal Grey Type of Color. The 5-Gallon and Up Dirt Pots have handles..

Just asking because if they actually are different from the Og "Smart Pots" I would like to know and want to know why&how they are different.

Another thing, How do you guys usually train or Tie down branches when using these pots? I use twisty ties,Strong Fishing line, and/or String to tie branches. I usually use the edges of the plastic pots to anchor the string or what ever im using down to make sure the branches dont come undone.

justiceman

Veteran
For any of you that have been using smart/dirt pots, I have A question. So I just recently Up-Potted A few of my plants into different sized smart pots.
***I've probably watered them about twice since then. I've noticed that the soil in the pots have compacted a little bit and theres still room inbetween the soil that has taken the shape of the pot, and the inside fabric of the pot. I waited hours after watering to see if the soil would expand and fill that space, but it never did..
- So Do I Fill that Gap with more Soil? I have that gap between the soil and inside fabric in all of the smart pots I've transplanted girls into..

Im asking this dumb question just to make sure. I think I should, but I dont know if thats something the smart pots do in order to help root growth/air pruning/roots latching onto the fabric or what lol...

Does anyone have any input on the "Dirt Pots"? There apparently the same as Smart Pots, but A different company makes them.
The 3-Gal Dirt pot is like A bleached version of A smart pot. It looks like on of those actual dirt pots that degrade into the soil when you pot the whole pot into the ground.. It also looks like Dried Shammy material haha..
The 1,5,7,and 10-Gallon Dirt Pots are A different color. Its like A light Charcoal Grey Type of Color. The 5-Gallon and Up Dirt Pots have handles..

Just asking because if they actually are different from the Og "Smart Pots" I would like to know and want to know why&how they are different.

Another thing, How do you guys usually train or Tie down branches when using these pots? I use twisty ties,Strong Fishing line, and/or String to tie branches. I usually use the edges of the plastic pots to anchor the string or what ever im using down to make sure the branches dont come undone.

Yo! I'm pulling up a chair in your journal buddy. Looking good!

Dirt pots, smart pots, geo planters, etc. They are all the same. I think the dirt pots are made from recycled plastic bottles, and different company's offer square, circular, or different color fabrics like you noticed.

When i transplant into smart pots I like to tamp the pot lightly on the ground. This helps all the medium fill in any remaining gaps/spaces, but I'm careful not to knock my clone round. If it still separates you can fill it in with some extra soil yourself. It's not a big deal unless it's a huge gap that just lets water drain out the side of the pot instead of being absorbed.

One can plant a smart pot inside the ground, but it's not really ideal since it never breaks down. A better alternative to planting straight into the ground would be a coco coir pot. They're made of the fibers and just kind of break apart with age, plus they provide extra aeration.

It's possible to cut small holes through the fabric and tie the plants down but it's definitely not as easy as a normal plastic pot. When using smart pots I find it easier to rely on a large screen for the canopy, or supercropping. I have seen some cool set ups where people install individual screens on each plant. 2-3 stakes in the pot hold up the screen. It's great if you still want to move them around.

Dakine

Veteran
Small Update! SSSDH Girl-1 Month & 8-10Days In Flower!

Small Update! SSSDH Girl-1 Month & 8-10Days In Flower!

Hey Justice! Thanks for stopping by and pullin up A chair! Glad to have you here, feel free to say anything if you feel like it could help or if its something I should definitely know then scream it!

Oh I was talking about the degradable pots only because thats what the "Dirt Pots" look like. They are actually "Smart Pots". I wont be planting them into the ground. Although I am looking at some of the guys who use Smart Pots outdoors, or they have A Perlite/mix that the Smart Pots are sitting on..

So everyone I have good and bad news.. Um it looks like the "Claw" has stopped spreading or is spreading really slowly.. I think that since I've been waterin with plain water ever since I did the intense flush, the SSSDH #1 Bushy Girl has ran out of nutes/certain nutes..

#1 Bushy Girls Lower leaves are now turning yellow extremely fast, some of the fan leaves have darker veins even when yellow, and once they are yellow they die extremely fast. So im thinking she now has multiple deficiencies?
-I have added 1/2Tsp of Oystershells and 1-Tsp of Gypsum to each pot 1-gallon and bigger. I think I might need to add A little bit more to each though. I also added 1/2-Tsp of Lime to certain pots to see what happens. Even with those 3 being added, it still doesnt equal to 1-Full recommended dose just for 1 of the ingredients lol...

Here Is A couple shots of my #1-Bushy Girl (SSSDH),EDIT- I also stopped by my friends house earlier today. Hes the one who gave me the current tent im using, and he put up another small tent because I wanted to keep the #2-Tall&Sturdy Tranny SSSDH girl without risk of hermie pollination or taking A spot in my plant count.

#1-Bushy Girl (SSSDH s1) 1Month & 8-10 Days Into Flower

Next up is the #2Tall&Sturdy Tranny SSDH Girl that My friend is flowering for me at his place. Shes under A 250Watt Hps and 4-23/24 Watt CFLSs, 2 are 2700 and 2 are 3000k. Surprisingly she has not thrown out anymore balls sine I plucked the first ones that grew out transitioning into flower!

#2 Tall&Sturdy Tranny, 1 Month and 8-10Days Into Flower, 250w Hps

He has been watering with Tap Water only since thats what I told him to do for now, since he had no clue on the trials and errors that occurred when she was with me. She is now getting yellow fan leaves but no where near as much as the girl I have..

justiceman

Veteran
I was trying to look back but couldn't find out what you were feeding her. Looks like your medium is maybe fox farms ocean forest soil? She looks to have a tad too much Nitrogen in her for flowering which is most likely why you are getting the claw. What kind of food was she getting before you started flushing? I think she wants some PK but not as much N

Top dressing with gypsum and oyster shells isn't bad, but they won't become completely usable to the plant until way after she's already done flowering since they take some time to break down. It's better to mix them in the soil mix before you plant if possible.

Dakine

Veteran
Ill give a more detailed update later, kinda short on time.. Thanks u guys!!

These are the clones I haveoutside flowering.. Right now im only giving them plain water and sometimes with molasses added.

SSSDH Clones

TnTLabs

stake them up bro, you are loosing in bud production as they are putting energy into holding themselves upright.. stake em up and feed em now... every other watering with a bloom feed... they look good, but will need food asap
also looking back at your pics.. your plants are generally with a main stem a hardly any side stems.... you should be topping, then you will have a min of double the amount of tops!! you train too late, the stem should be on its 5-6th node to start training.... makes it easier on the plant as well.. rather distribute mass across width, then just have one high tower... hope that helps...
bless

Dakine

Veteran
What do you mean by stake em up? What do you mean by using energy into holding themselves upright? I usually only Top A Plant 1 time, no more then that.. Then I train train those 2 main branches. Then All the other branches that are trained or shooting up, is actually the lower/original secondary shoots that exploded with growth once I topped them...

Idk if thats what you meant mah bro? If I didnt understand it, please explain.. Now im confused