What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

:D Genetic Preservation :D - Breeding

acespicoli

How to select males based on possible linked traits. Can traits be partially linked?

Thats interesting
Cannabis can begin determinate and end up indeterminate 🤷‍♂️
One branch flowers male another female ?
Plants can be reversed ? So its all there the male female and herm ?

How your males combine with your chosen female plants GCA general combing ability
What traits visually your male plants have the terpene profile stem rubs
Internode length of male plants branch structure of the male plants column or multi branched
Potency of the male visible stalked large head glands

May be some of the traits you look for?

How that trait you desire in the offspring can be passed in very unexpected ways
Say you male plant isnt from a ibl
Or your female isnt from a ibl
1709050426608.png

The best breeding scheme is have different lines and each line breeds true for your pheno type
Then combine those lines until you have the type you desire
1709050767465.png

Alot of times with cannabis you get yield but lack potency
You get potency in another line and lack yield
keep two lines get a good yielder with acceptable potency those are kinda balance we work for ?

With clones you can collect a gene and not lose those in F1 F2....
Hard to do good breeding as a hobby but not inpossible
Id suggest storing small samples of pollen form select plants in many separate cyro tubes as well
cut with flour to stretch it further

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Why aren't there any consistent strains.........is it cannabises just don't do that?
I suspect so from what I've seen.
You can try and force it but it resists uniformity ime.
Easier to get structural consistency in veg than flower consistency.

acespicoli

I think its like N. said fizz
outcrosser ibl x ibl = Fizz1
ibl gen 1,2,3,4, run out of fizz from inbreeding depression ?
two distinct different forms cross well 🤷‍♂️

Flowers seem dense and fluffy I prefer fluffy, alot of people dont
they would rather have dense flowers, bag appeal and how it burns
easy to rol nice big fat fluffy joints that reduce to white ash.

I prefer a sativa effect they usually have small seed and small bracts
for fluffy that complicates the flower structure, is there any difference in potency to volume ?
Does the size of flower morphology change trichrome coverage, stalks / mm2 ?
there is chemo type cbd/thc, what you prefer ? all thc no thc mixed thc/cbd ?

Why aren't there any consistent strains.........is it cannabises just don't do that?
I suspect so from what I've seen.
You can try and force it but it resists uniformity ime.
Easier to get structural consistency in veg than flower consistency.
Theres so many different things to breed for name a 1/2 doz of your favorite strains over the years ?
Most of mine were bag seeds imports, I liked skunk afghani skunk, red hair skunk
Had some good haze, congo weed in the 80s some pine weed, pepper weed some good imports
what the names were of the imports, now just go thru named seed looking for what like...
are your favorites from 20-30 years ago, still the same or has poor selection led to deterioration ?
Gene loss in every generation... population size has reduced the gene pool?

How many plants in 10,000 are awesome ?
what is your favorite strains ?

flower consistency (are you revegging the keepers?)

Last edited:

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I think its like N. said fizz
outcrosser ibl x ibl = Fizz1
ibl gen 1,2,3,4, run out of fizz from inbreeding depression ?
two distinct different forms cross well 🤷‍♂️

Flowers seem dense and fluffy I prefer fluffy, alot of people dont
they would rather have dense flowers, bag appeal and how it burns
easy to rol nice big fat fluffy joints that reduce to white ash.

I prefer a sativa effect they usually have small seed and small bracts
for fluffy that complicates the flower structure
there is chemo type cbd/thc what you prefer ?

Theres so many different things to breed for name a 1/2 doz of your favorite strains over the years ?
Most of mine were bag seeds imports, I liked skunk afghani skunk red skunk
are your favorites from 20-30 years ago, still the same or has poor selection led to deterioration ?
Gene loss in every generation... population size has reduced the gene pool?

How many plants in 10,000 are awesome ?
what is your favorite strains ?

flower consistency (are you revegging the keepers?)
I have been making seeds of what I like going back a couple decades.
I just very recently opened up to some outside genetics from a trusted source.
Why cuz tbey are old or they tie back into something I already have.
The best part of giving out seeds for a long time is seeing what has else has been done and how that shows..........I find it very interesting.
Some really spectacular plants have been n produced hopefully moving us all in the right direction...... or not.
😆

acespicoli

I have been making seeds of what I like going back a couple decades.
I just very recently opened up to some outside genetics from a trusted source.
Why cuz tbey are old or they tie back into something I already have.
The best part of giving out seeds for a long time is seeing what has else has been done and how that shows..........I find it very interesting.
Some really spectacular plants have been n produced hopefully moving us all in the right direction...... or not.
😆
Like you said the flower consistency we were talking about xmas bud,
saw some that a guy grew from the seeds and it was not what I remembered looked like indoor LED bud
Now take those same seeds and grow them outdoors it might look like some of the good flower pictures I found online, was it pheno selection or enviromentals ? I dont know the seeds also that I got didnt have the old wild stripes they were more white with less mottling, signs of repeated generations of domestication not mixing with wild relatives.

In a 10 pack im lucky to find one keeper...
So you get 10-30 seeds and OP open pollenate it right?
Out of a pound or kilo of seed what do we have then?

A few times someone sends you a proper seed start of 200+ seeds from a landrace
You grab some seeded imports...get em while you still can

How about start with 4 NL seeds and repro from there, does me buying 3 packs of 10 and doing a OP help?
Maybe I get a few 10 packs from a breeder can think of a few off the top of my head and they are selling seed from a 1:1 mating maybe its a S1 7 pack from a cup winning cut ?

You know whats the stating material were working with?
if one in ten are keepers and we outcross that one keeper from each line how many keepers do we get ?
one thing thats absolute THC gene,... no ceiling what is the no ceiling all about ?

Smoke till you freak out fall asleep or decide to put it down for awhile.
Other stuff you smoke all day just to stay high ? Dont think all strains are the same :thinking:
Like some have said there are things besides test results low THC strains can have a profound cerebral effect
Much of the cannabinoids are still being researched entourage effect terpene interactions ... etc
You know people laugh about stem rubbing plants 🤷‍♂️ imma still do it :biglaugh:

>Best>>>ibes :huggg:

acespicoli

Our findings suggest that different chemovars, plants, and extract preparations express complex and diverse biochemical profiles, which can affect the beneficial and adverse effects of the treatment. Therefore, the exploration, identification, and quantification of as many Cannabis components as possible are critical for exploiting the full potential of this unique plant and its derivatives.
Publication Date:August 1, 2019
https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.9b02844

As shown, several additional unidentified peaks were observed in the TIC chromatogram of the Cannabis sample (Figure 2B) for which there were no analytical standards commercially available. These compounds and several others, which also appeared in numerous other Cannabis chemovars, were putatively identified by spectral searching against the NIST library and by the closest RIcalc value as shown in Table S3. Some of these are noticeably large peaks, including selina-3,7-diene, α- and γ-eudesmol, β- and γ-selinene, β-bisabolene, and others.

acespicoli

1709062139355.png

The reaction of geranyl pyrophosphate with isopentenyl pyrophosphate results in the 15-carbon farnesyl pyrophosphate (FPP), which is an intermediate in the biosynthesis of sesquiterpenes

GPP is an intermediate in the isoprenoid biosynthesis pathway that produces longer prenyl chains such as farnesyl pyrophosphate and geranylgeranyl pyrophosphate as well as many terpenes.[1] It can be prepared in the laboratory from geraniol.[2]
1709062435037.png

1709062476013.png

TGAAA/T NGS: 0.118
A frameshift mutation is not the same as a single-nucleotide polymorphism in which a nucleotide is replaced, rather than inserted or deleted. A frameshift mutation will in general cause the reading of the codons after the mutation to code for different amino acids. The frameshift mutation will also alter the first stop codon ("UAA", "UGA" or "UAG") encountered in the sequence. The polypeptide being created could be abnormally short or abnormally long, and will most likely not be functional.[2]

Last edited:

acespicoli

This is a strain search from seedfinder for PAIN in the desc (reg seed indica)
49 Cannabis Strains
Name of the strainBreeder
425CannaVenture Seeds60
AfghaniAlaska Cannabis Cache53
AfghaniHouse Of The Great Gardener56
AfghaniMedicann Seeds48
Arghandab II KandaharIndian Landrace Exchange84
Bella Ortega *(Maple Leaf)Sensi56
Black Domina61
Black UnicornRiot Seeds67
Blackberry KushCannabella Seed Club58
Bubba Kush53
CactusJordan of the Islands60
Cataract KushDNA Genetics Seeds60
DarkStarTH Seeds70
Deep Chunk 60
Double AffieSouthern Star Seeds56
Eastern HashplantCosmic Wisdom49
Ghost OG58
Grand Daddy PurpGrand Daddy Purp77
Hindu Kush (Heirloom)Aficionado Seed Bank60
Kashmiri SirnooOld World Organics55
Kings CrossReefermans Seeds53
LA Kush CakeSeed Junky Genetics?
LA Pure KushUnknown or Legendary?
Lashkar Gah:huggg:?
Matanuska TundraSagarmatha Seeds65
Mazar-I-Sharif50
Northern LightsSensi Seeds48
Nuclear PharaohMadCats Backyard Stash70
Pakistan ValleyWorld of Seeds Bank50
Pine Tar Kush56
Pineapple KushUnknown or Legendary?
Plum CrazyUnknown or Legendary?
Purple Maze KushNew420Guy Seeds63
Razzleberry KushUnknown or Legendary67
Romulan56
Rubba BreathCosmic Wisdom58
Rusty OGNew420Guy Seeds60
San Fernando Valley OGApothecary Genetics56
SkywalkerApothecary Genetics58
Super DenseNew420Guy Seeds60
Sweet & Sour HeavenMaster Thai52
The Grape Goudini2 Guns and a Guy S.C.65
White Fire 43Unknown or Legendary?
White TruffleParabellum Genetics64
William's WonderSickMeds Seeds63
X-Kush #1Breeder Choice Organisation56
X-Kush #2Breeder Choice Organisation63
ZenaksKoalatea Genetics60

This is for the medicine cabinet
several on the list not surprisingly were already on the reproduction list
Green is already a go, been looking at Dark Star, Black Berry Kush, LAPK maybe one day...

Last edited:

acespicoli

EFFECTS
7 Search-Hits for CREEPER via standard search searching in descriptions, as pure sativa strains with that is a photoperiod strain
7 Cannabis Strains
Colombian BlackBreeder Choice Organisation150
Pure HazeBreeder Choice Organisation150
Double PanamaSnowHigh Seeds147
Tiger Tail #1 - Mae ChanZomia140
80's Durban PoisonKhalifa Genetics90
Metal HazeDutch Flowers67
CreeperSuper Sativa Seed Club?
29 Search-Hits for TRIPPY via standard search searching in descriptions, as pure sativa strains with that is a photoperiod strain
29 Cannabis Strains
Double PanamaSnowHigh Seeds147
Colombian Mango BicheEnergenetics Old World Farm130
Congo BicheEnergenetics Old World Farm130
Demon LatcherCryptic Labs112
Highland GuerreroCryptic Labs110
Lambsbread x Panama RedSnowHigh Seeds109
Original Haze x LambsbreadSnowHigh Seeds107
Nanan-BouclouSouthern Star Seeds105
Mauritius x EthiopianACE Seeds102
ZamaldelicaVariety of Cannabis100
Golden Tiger Third VersionACE Seeds98
Panama BlackSnowHigh Seeds91
Ethiopia x MalawiACE Seeds88
Kees’ Old School HazeSuper Sativa Seed Club88
ZamaldelicaACE Seeds88
Golden Tiger x PanamaACE Seeds80
Pure AfricaOriginal Sensible Seeds78
Malawi x PanamaACE Seeds77
Panama RedAnesia Seeds77
Prima HolandicaSuper Sativa Seed Club74
Zacateca TributeACE Seeds73
Highland Oaxacan GoldGreen Mountain Seeds70
Nam BlackDutch Flowers70
Metal HazeDutch Flowers67
KilimanjaroWorld of Seeds Bank65
Early DurbanHuba Seed Bank60
Highland ThaiThe Real S.C.?
NepaleseThe Seed Bank?
Pahari FarmhouseThe Real S.C.?
15 Search-Hits for PARANOIA via standard search searching in descriptions, as pure sativa strains with that is a photoperiod strain
15 Cannabis Strains
Acapulco Gold - PreservationMassMedicalStrains150
Colombian BlackBreeder Choice Organisation150
Black ForrestKingdom Organic Seeds112
Angola HazeWhite Buffalo Seed Collective98
EthiopianACE Seeds95
New CaledoniaACE Seeds95
Boom BapMicrobe Alchemist91
Cambodian x HazeReefermans Seeds80
Nam BlackDutch Flowers70
OrishaMandala Seeds70
Lambs DurbanMount Zion Seed Cooperative65
The Eye of ProvidenceEye of Providence Seeds60
KeralaThe Real S.C.?
KeralaSeedsman?
Santa MartaAlaska Cannabis Cache?
12 Search-Hits for RACY via standard search searching in descriptions, as pure sativa strains with that is a photoperiod strain
12 Cannabis Strains
Acapulco Gold - PreservationMassMedicalStrains150
Kerala GoldEnergenetics Old World Farm140
Oldtimer's PupilMassMedicalStrains115
Demon LatcherCryptic Labs112
Honey BBarneys Farm91
Panama BlackSnowHigh Seeds91
Durban PunchTropical Seeds Company80
NigerianReefermans Seeds77
Kona GoldMount Zion Seed Cooperative70
OrishaMandala Seeds70
KeralaThe Real S.C.?
KeralaSeedsman?

These are just for fun :smokeit:

acespicoli

The notion of selective breeding was later expressed by the Persian Muslim polymath Abu Rayhan Biruni in the 11th century. He noted the idea in his book titled India, which included various examples.[8]

The agriculturist selects his corn, letting grow as much as he requires, and tearing out the remainder. The forester leaves those branches which he perceives to be excellent, whilst he cuts away all others. The bees kill those of their kind who only eat, but do not work in their beehive.
— Abu Rayhan Biruni, India
Slow though the process of selection may be, if feeble man can do much by his powers of artificial selection, I can see no limit to the amount of change, to the beauty and infinite complexity of the co-adaptations between all organic beings, one with another and with their physical conditions of life, which may be effected in the long course of time by nature's power of selection.[11]
— Charles Darwin, On the Origin of Species
We are profoundly ignorant of the causes producing slight and unimportant variations; and we are immediately made conscious of this by reflecting on the differences in the breeds of our domesticated animals in different countries,—more especially in the less civilized countries where there has been but little artificial selection.[12]
— Charles Darwin, On the Origin of Species

acespicoli

1709660958844.png

A Glimpse into the Biosynthesis of Terpenoids
September 2017KnE Life Sciences 2017(5):81-98 DOI:10.18502/kls.v3i5.981

Terpenoids represent the largest class of natural products with a diverse array of structures and functions. Many terpenoids have reported therapeutic properties such as antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory and chemotherapeutic properties making them of great interest in the medical field. Also, they are widely used in the flavors and fragrances industries, in addition to being a source of biofuels. Terpenoids suffer from low natural yields and complicated chemical synthesis, hence the need for a more sustainable production method. Metabolic engineering provide an excellent opportunity to construct microbial cell factories producing the desired terpenoids. The biosynthetic mevalonate and non-mevalonate pathways involved in the production of terpenoid precursors are fully characterized so exploring methods to improve their flux would be the first step in creating a successful cell factory. The complexity and diversity of terpenoid structures depends mainly on the action of the terpene synthases responsible for their synthesis. These enzymes are classified into different classes and gaining insight into their catalytic mechanism will be useful in designing approaches to improve terpenoid production. This review focuses on the biosynthesis and biodiversity of terpenoids, understanding the terpene synthase enzyme family involved in their synthesis and the engineering efforts to create microbial cell factories for terpenoid production.

Terpenes are classified by the number of carbons:
monoterpenes (C10),
sesquiterpenes (C15),
diterpenes (C20)

Last edited:

acespicoli

The five recognized chemotypes of cannabis include:
(I) the drug-type plants (narcotic) with a high content of the psychotropic Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC 1); (II) medicinal cannabis with a 1:1 content of Δ9-THC 1: CBD 2;
(III) industrial fiber hemp that has CBD 2 as a predominant constituent and a minimum content of Δ9-THC 1 (0.2% w/w);
(IV) fiber-type plants that contain cannabigerol (CBG 3) as the main cannabinoid;
(V) fiber-type plants largely devoid of cannabinoids

(Table 1) [4]. The latter cannabinoids are certainly spectacular secondary metabolites that have long been in the spotlight of biomedical attention. However, it is also important to discriminate and define the qualitative and quantitative aspects of other chemotypes beyond cannabinoids. Such a systematic approach allows further insights into bioactive constituents, such as cannflavins, which might synergistically contribute to the anti-inflammatory activity of cannabis [1,5]. Moreover, cannabinoid-free strains are necessary for controlled studies to mimic the sensory properties of hemp, guarantee blinding and explain the typical synergy of many botanical extracts besides the isolated cannabinoids [5].
Table 1. Cannabis sativa L. chemotypes.

Farnesol Terpene​

Farnesol is an acyclic sesquiterpene alcohol that takes its name from the Farnese acacia tree or Vachellia farnesiana. The Farnese acacia flower is one of the most popular natural sources of this floral-scented terpene. Although the Farnese acacia tree flowers are abundant in farnesol content, you will also find this sesquiterpene alcohol as a natural constituent in more than 30 essential oils.

You can find a high farnesol content in the tropical cabrueva oil and various plants such as neroli, citronella, chamomile, lemongrass, musk, and some fruits such as peach.

Furthermore, farnesol is a hydrophobic, colorless liquid that's miscible in oils. Phosphate-activated derivatives of farnesol are the precursors of steroids in animals, plants, and fungi. Therefore, farnesol and its derivatives are important components for natural and artificial organic synthesis.

Finally, farnesol has a long history of use in perfumery, and studies show several effects that can be beneficial to human health. It appears to optimize the performance of other terpenes and cannabinoids, suggesting that it may play a significant role in the long list of terpenes that boost the medical benefits that cannabis provides.

What Does Farnesol Do?​

The great variety of natural compounds that cannabis contains, such as terpenes and cannabinoids, are responsible for the large number of therapeutic benefits that this plant can contribute to the general health of the human body.

When all these terpenes and cannabinoids that occur naturally in each cannabis strain act in convergence, they generate a synergistic effect that boosts the performance of each of these compounds and, in turn, the results that they can cause individually. Each of these terpenes can generate a series of unique effects.

Understanding the role that each terpene plays in the famous entourage effect of cannabis can be a key to a better picture of the therapeutic functions of each strain.

Farnesol can significantly impact the medicinal benefits that certain strains of cannabis that contain it can do for the general wellness of the human body. This amazing acyclic sesquiterpene can alleviate massive inflammation and fight oxidative stress on the cell membrane. In an experiment conducted on rats, farnesol showed that it could also reduce the damage caused by cigarette smoke to the lungs and trachea.

Further, it can flavor certain foods and enhance the odor of certain fragrances. Due to this, cosmetics and grocery industries use it in many of their preparations and recipes.

Additionally, this fantastic acyclic sesquiterpene can alleviate massive inflammation and fight oxidative stress on the cell membrane. In an experiment conducted on rats, farnesol showed that it could also reduce the damage caused by cigarette smoke to the lungs and trachea. Another thing farnesol can do is alleviate certain respiratory conditions such as allergic asthma, edema, gliosis, and it can also work as an anticancer agent.

Farnesol Effects​

When all the terpenes and cannabinoids present in cannabis work together, these natural compounds generally enhance each other, improving the effects they generate in the body. Nevertheless, Farnesol, like all terpenes, can cause particular effects when consumed individually.

Like many more popular terpenes such as myrcene, limonene, or pinene, Farnesol also can generate anti-inflammatory effects in the human body. This acyclic sesquiterpene alcohol also has antibacterial and anticancer effects related to some types of cancer. In addition, some reports suggest that Farnesol has antispasmodic effects that may assist in treating some respiratory conditions such as allergic asthma.

Farnesol Uses​

The cosmetics and perfume industry commonly use farnesol to emphasize the sweet or floral scents of some scents and perfumes, especially lilac perfumes. Some formulations even contain Farnesol as a deodorant by itself due to its distinctive fragrance. However, this natural substance is subject to restrictions as it can cause unwanted effects in people with sensitive skin.

Farnesol is also a common additive in many desserts and sweet due to its flavors in some preparations and recipes. Tobacco companies use farnesol as a flavoring additive in the production of cigarettes. Moreover, this terpene is a natural insect repellent especially effective against mites, and many other insects use it as a pheromone.

Farnesol Benefits​

The medical benefits that farnesol can bring to our health are directly related to the effects that this acyclic sesquiterpene alcohol can generate in the human body. Although we are still to fully understand the range of benefits of farnesol, several studies and reports give us a good picture of its therapeutic benefits. Some of these benefits are:

Anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic benefits: Farnesol can provide anti-inflammatory benefits because it generates effects that down-regulate the expression of various inflammatory mediators in cell synthesis. This means that this terpene can work effectively fighting massive inflammation or some inflammatory disorders. In turn, farnesol also demonstrates antispasmodic qualities that can work to combat allergic asthma, gliosis, and edema.

Anticancer and antitumor benefits: Some studies show that this sesquiterpene can provide anti-cancer benefits and is related to the prevention of various types of cancer such as breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, cervical cancer, pancreatic cancer, among others. Farnesol also has specific antitumor effects since it inhibits the proliferation of cancer cells since can induce apoptosis of abnormal or unnecessary cells.

Antifungal and antibacterial benefits: Farnesol also proves to effectively fight the biofilm formed by the candida Albicans fungus and could act in synergy with traditional antifungal drug treatments. In turn, in an in vivo study, farnesol can prevent adhesion and disrupt the Fusarium keratoplasticum biofilm.

Farnesol Smell​

The smell of Farnesol is one of the main reasons this terpene is so popular in perfumery and cosmetic products. This sesquiterpene exudes an exquisite soft, sweet, and floral scent mixed with some delicious fruity notes.

As with a wide variety of terpenes, the cosmetics and toiletries industry uses farnesol to achieve certain desired aromas, especially in lilac scents, although it also can help enhance some other scents. The tobacco industry reports using farnesol as one of 599 additives and a flavoring agent in cigarette production.

The food industry also uses the flavor of this sesquiterpene in the preparation of many desserts and candies to achieve specific tastes. Some report some "green" or herbal notes in this terpene that may be reminiscent of the linden tree scent.

Farnesol Strains​

• Tangerine Kush
  • White Rhino
  • Eagle Scout

acespicoli

Maybe your strain has the genetics to produce the most advanced of terpenes
Maybe it does not 🤷‍♂️
as with everything in the world are life forms continually evolving or have some stopped ?

Published online 2019 Sep 12. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0222363
PMCID: PMC6742361
PMID: 31513654

Genomic characterization of the complete​

terpene synthase gene​

family from Cannabis sativa

Introduction​

Most terpenes, particularly the more volatile 10 carbon monoterpenes and 15 carbon sesquiterpenes, are secondary metabolites whose synthesis evolved in response to selection for increased fitness for some ecological niche.

While more than 100 terpenes have been identified in C. sativa [3], the number routinely observed in flower samples is in the range of 30 to 35, most of which can be identified against available standards.
1709678565985.png

TPS

terpene synthase gene​

1709678638459.png

Gene structure of 55 full length TPS genes. TPS subfamily is indicated by color. A: sesquiterpene synthases, B: monoterpene synthases, C: diterpene synthases.

3 cannabinoid families and 3 terpene families :thinking:

Last edited:

acespicoli

The oil profile correlation structure shows that there are some limits to what we can breed for in C. sativa. For example, β-caryophyllene and α-humulene occur at close to a 3:1 ratio, consistent with there being a single source for these molecules, TPS9 [7]. So it seems unlikely we could breed an α-humulene dominant cultivar. Something over half of TPS genes in C. sativa occur in tandem arrays, in keeping with what has been found in other species [1]. This means that especially with the compact TPS clusters one would expect them to be tightly linked genetically. For example, a breeder aiming to create a cultivar containing a particular variant of the β-myrcene / α-pinene synthase TPS5 will also be bringing in a specific set of variants of four root-specific monoterpene synthases.

But these are small limitations. One thing that stands out looking at terpene distribution is the remarkably wide dynamic range of individual terpenes, suggesting that the spectrum of potential breeding targets, where each represents a unique mixture of terpenes, is enormous. It is our intention that this initial genomic characterization of the gene family serves as the foundation for a road map for the next generation of craft and medicinal C. sativa breeding.

A. Number of terpenes detected above 1% ot total terpene content.
B. Number of terpenes found above 5% of total terpene content.

Highest terpene production strains
Marion Berry Kush
Romulan aka port albany pine bud (albany is the source of the orig 'skunkbud' )
1709680180079.png

The cytosol, also known as cytoplasmic matrix or groundplasm,[2] is one of the liquids found inside cells (intracellular fluid (ICF)).[3] It is separated into compartments by membranes. For example, the mitochondrial matrix separates the mitochondrion into many compartments.
1709681694366.png

A plastid, pl. plastids, is a membrane-bound organelle found in the cells of plants, algae, and some other eukaryotic organisms; (from Ancient Greek πλαστός (plastós) 'formed, molded'). They are considered to be intracellular endosymbiotic cyanobacteria.[1]
1709681718730.png

1709680327863.png

1709680483475.png

Phenylalanine is a precursor for
tyrosine,
the monoamine neurotransmitters dopamine,
norepinephrine (noradrenaline), and
epinephrine (adrenaline)

Attachments

• 1709680017136.png
    1709680017136.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

acespicoli

1709682199724.png

1709682878588.png

1709682819225.png

Milton Wainwright,
Moulds in ancient and more recent medicine,
Mycologist,
Volume 3, Issue 1,
Pages 21-23,
ISSN 0269-915X,
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269915X89800102)

Department of Microbiology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield SID 2TN
Since the early 1940s mould metabolites,
eg penicillin, have been widely used to
treat bacterial infections, although the
medical use of moulds is not new . Im-
hokep, the notable ancient Egyptian
healer, although he did not discover
penicillin some 40 centuries before
Fleming, is known to have treated sur-
face infections with mouldy bread. Other
examples of the use of moulds on infec-
tions occur in more recent folk medicine.
Mouldy jam was used in rural areas of
Quebec, Canada, and mouldy bread was
used in parts of Devon and in Kansas,
USA (Townend, 1944; Koch, 1987). Holy-
men of central Asia also prepared a paste
made from chewed barley and apple
which , when mouldy, was used as a
poultice on surface wounds. Reference
is also given in the Jewish Talmud to the
therapeutic use of kutach b'avli or
chamka , a mash of mouldy corn soaked
in water or date wine . Further, John
Parkington, London apothecary and
King's herbarian, advised in 1640 that
moulds have a curative effect when ap-
plied to infections (Kavaler, 1967).
Most historians have tended to dismiss
these accounts of the ancient and
folklore use of moulds arguing that the
quantities of antibiotics involved would
have been too small to be effective. The
widespread reference to mould therapy
in all cultures throughout the ages,
however , provides at least circumstan-
tial evidence for its effectiveness. While
holy-men may have carefully nurtured
single mould cultures producing specific
antibiotics, it is more likely that the
substrates they used selectively isolated
species of Penicillium and Aspergillus
capable of producing a wide range of an-
tibiotics such as citrinin , patulin,
penicillin and penicillic acid. Even trace
amounts of these compounds, produced
locally at the site of the infection, could
have helped heal surface wounds. It is
also interesting that tetracycline (an an-
tibiotic produced by Streptomyces sp.)
has been detected in the bones of the so-
called X Group, an early Christian
civilisation living in Sudanese Nubia
(AD350) (Bassett et al, 1980). These peo -
ple lived on a staple diet of wheat, barley
and millet which they stored in mud-
bins. Basset et al (1980) concluded that
this stored food probably became con-
taminated with tetracycline-producing
micro-organisms and that the tetra-
cycline ingestion, at apparently
therapeutic levels, may explain the
known low level of infectious disease
amongst these people.
Unfortunately few details of the
folklore use of moulds in medicine re-
main, making it difficult to assess the ef-
fectiveness of this form of treatment. The
publicity following our recent research
on the first therapeutic use of penicillin
by C G Paine (Wainwright & Swan, 1986,
1987) led to a number of people writing
to me describing their experience of the
pre-antibiotic use of moulds to treat in-
fections. One particularly interesting let-
ter came from a local woman, Mrs. Bren-
da Ward, whose story led to research
which is the basis of the following ac-
count of the therapeutic use of moulds
in Sheffield during the late 1920s.
Although, as yet, uncorroborated by
case-notes this story provides a
fascinating and detailed insight into the
pre-antibiotic use of moulds to treat
bacterial infections.
At about the same time as Cecil Paine
was using crude penicillin, another Shef-
field doctor, James Twomey, took a com-
pletely different approach to the use of
moulds in therapy. Twomey, born in
Kanturk, Co Cork, was a junior partner
in a family practice based at a surgery
in Attercliffe, an area in Sheffield's in-
dustrial heartland. In late July 1929, he
used a mould preparation to treat Mrs

Last edited:

acespicoli

p[H]​

This was the original definition of Sørensen in 1909,[18]
which was superseded in favor of pH in 1924. [H] is the concentration of hydrogen ions, denoted [H+]
Usually the pH of the original latex is about 10
Shivalkar and Prabha [30]
reported that the major stability of carotenoids is revealed in the pH range from 6 to 7.
1709685063727.png

The orange ring surrounding Grand Prismatic Spring is due to carotenoids produced by cyanobacteria and other bacteria.
The chemical difference between acids and bases is that
acids produce hydrogen ions and bases accept hydrogen ions

pH in plants​

Lemon juice tastes sour because it contains 5% to 6% citric acid (CH2CO2H)2 and has a pH of 2.2 (high acidity).
Plants contain pH-dependent pigments that can be used as pH indicators,

Isovaleric acid is a major component of the cause of intense foot odor, as it is produced by skin bacteria metabolizing leucine and in rare cases a condition called isovaleric acidemia can lead to heightened levels of this metabolite.[19]

There is a correlation between gene complexity and complex terpene production :thinking:

Attachments

• 1709684267080.png
    1709684267080.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts