What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

D.A.R.E. program Founder Nancy Reagan Dead at 94

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/06/nancy-reagan-widow-ronald-reagan-dead-at-94.html

Nancy Reagan, the widow of President Ronald Reagan and passionately devoted keeper of his flame, died Sunday morning of congestive heart failure at 94, according to her spokesperson.

Reagan died at her home in Los Angeles. She's set to be buried at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, next to her husband. Prior to the funeral, there will be an opportunity for members of the public to pay their respects at the Library, the spokesperson said. Details had not yet been announced Sunday afternoon.
Reagan, whose husband died in 2004, had appeared frail after suffering several falls in recent years. In May 2012 it was disclosed she had broken several ribs in a fall at her Los Angeles home six weeks earlier.

Although she initially worked as an actress, the former first lady was, first and foremost, Mrs. Ronald Reagan.

"My life really began when I married my husband," Nancy Reagan once said, and for 52 years of marriage they were a fiercely close and devoted couple.

"Thank God we found each other," she said in a 1998 interview. "Can't imagine life without him."

Nancy Davis Reagan was born July 6, 1921 in New York City as Anne Frances Robbins. Her father was Kenneth Seymour Robbins, a used car salesman, and her mother Edith P. Luckett, was an actress. She became known as Nancy as a child.

Her parents divorced when she was young and her mother remarried Dr. Loyal Davis, a Chicago neurosurgeon, who adopted her.

She took his name and attended private school in Chicago, followed by Smith College, where she majored in drama.

Nancy Davis began her career as an actress in stage, film and television productions. In 1951, she met Reagan when she found her name on a newspaper list of supposed Communist sympathizers and she consulted the actor, then president of the Screen Actors Guild, to see what could be done about it. (He said she'd been confused with another actress with the same name).

They married on March 4, 1952 (it was his second marriage after divorcing actress Jane Wyman) and had two children who survive her, Patricia and Ron. She also is survived by a stepson, Michael. Her stepdaughter, Maureen, died in 2001.

In all, Nancy Reagan made 11 movies, the last, "Hellcats of the Navy" (1956) opposite her husband.

"I must say acting was good training for the political life which lay ahead for us," she observed – along with "the movies were custard compared to politics."

Ronald Reagan served as governor of California from 1967-1975 and as the state's first lady, Nancy became a champion of the Foster Grandparent Program, which brought together senior citizens and handicapped children.

Following her husband's election to the presidency in 1980, Reagan launched a project fighting drug and alcohol abuse among young people and "Just Say No" became its byword.

She also was known as a fierce protector of her husband, especially after the 1981 attempt on his life. To this end, she even consulted an astrologer about his schedule – a fact later revealed to some uproar by former chief of staff Donald Regan in his memoir.

From 1981-89, Nancy Reagan was annually voted one of the world's ten most admired women in a Gallup poll and three times, she came in at number one.

In 1987, the then 66-year-old first lady was diagnosed with breast cancer. After undergoing successful surgery, she raised awareness of the disease among many women and in her later memoir "My Turn," she stressed the importance of annual mammograms.

Following Reagan's retirement after two terms as president, the couple left Washington for California, where in 1994, the president announced he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. She spent most of her time caring for him until his death on June 5, 2004.

As a widow, Reagan remained active within the Reagan Library and became an advocate for stem cell research.

As she grew increasingly older and frail in appearance, she only rarely made public appearances.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Say what you will, she had a lot more class as First lady than the one we have now.

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Babbas absolutely correct, My bad, mistook Just say no and Dare were one and the same

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Meh, she "thought" her cause was right on, but really, she was reflecting what she was living with alcohol and substance abuse within her own niche`.

I never took to her principles, but she had her own style. And this is coming from a hard core Democrat!

From an LA Times article, 4/30/1992 The Way Patti Sees It : While Some Question Her Motives, Davis Says She Just Wants to Tell the Truth About the Reagans

"While Nancy Reagan was exhorting the country to "Just Say No" to drugs, she was regularly consuming prescription tranquilizers and sleeping pills, Reagan's controversial daughter, Patti Davis, says in her new autobiography, "The Way I See It."

"What I witnessed was a problem," said the former First Daughter in an interview. She declined, however, to call her mother an addict: "I'm not a doctor and that seems to me a medical evaluation."

Nancy isn't the FIRST hypocrite in politics. Bu-bye, Mrs. Reagan.

Skip

Veteran
Just say "Dead!"....

Don't want to relive the Reagan years.

Never Again!

May the ineffective, fascist D.A.R.E. program never be revived either.

JusticeFrog

I cringe every time i hear the name...Reagan...buuuut at the same time its not very classy to cheer someones death. I dont think we climb out of this shit hole that humanity finds itself in by hating on one another...even though i find these people rephehensable. They seemed to truly love each other and thats at least something we could honor.

Skip

Veteran
Nancy knew Ronald had lost it while he was still president, and she covered for him, rather than admit his condition and letting Congress remove him from office. The entire Republican leadership also knew.

Nancy said Ronald was never the same after he got shot. He actually got more mellow as the Alzheimers took over.

Just goes to show, ANYONE can be President, even if you're senile, you just need the Establishment to cover for you.

My favorite Reagan quote: "If it's a bloodbath they want, let's get it over with." - Gov. Reagan, as he authorized the use of deadly force by the National Guard on peaceful student demonstrators.

Sorry but Reagan didn't see a problem ordering the death of young people exercising their constitutional rights.

BTW, Many LEOs cheered Reagan over that, including J. Edgar Hoover. So they can cheer death of student protesters (like me at the time), and that's cool?

And this was only a week after the massacre of students at Kent State University by the National Guard on May 4th, 1970

Read more here: http://theredphoenixapl.org/2010/08/16/cold-war-killer-file-ronald-reagan/

"Those who do not learn the lessons of History are doomed to relive them."

OK, enough politics, sorry.

Last edited:

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
As we all said when that bitch Margaret Thatcher finally fucked off

Wo Ho the witch is dead ... as per Wizard of Oz:woohoo:

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
Nancy knew Ronald had lost it while he was still president, and she covered for him, rather than admit his condition and letting Congress remove him from office. The entire Republican leadership also knew.

theres a pbs program about reagan that talks about his Alzheimers. Terrifying.

medicalmj

Veteran
Both pushed for change and new K-12 programs.Which one do you prefer:

A) Lies and scare tactics done by cops in the classroom
B) More fruits and veggies instead of junk food in the cafeteria

Yeah real fuckin' classy that Nancy was...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts