What's new

Custom Flipbox to run 6 reflectors with 2 Ballasts?

Snype

Veteran
I'm hoping to run 6 reflectors with (2) 600 watt ballasts. I don't know if this is possible but I hope that it is. The reason why I need to do this is only for additional side vertical side lighting. This will be run with (2) 600 watt ballasts. Basically I need a row of (2) 600's to turn on for 4 hours and then that row will shut off and the next row will come on for 4 hours and when that shuts off the last row will come on for 4 hours. Anyone here to give me some great advice? Maybe even a part list and diagram if this is possible? Thanks in advance!

MagniKhan

Veteran
It's possible, you just need to interlock the relay either electrically or mechanically so only one relay at a time pulls in.

Snype

Veteran
Ok if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. A list of parts would be nice.

MagniKhan

Veteran
Ok if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. A list of parts would be nice.

OK, I'll see if I can put one together for you today. Question, are you always going to use the 600w ballast? If not I'll spec bigger relays.

Snype

Veteran
OK, I'll see if I can put one together for you today. Question, are you always going to use the 600w ballast? If not I'll spec bigger relays.

Thank you so much! It will only be used for 600 Watt ballasts. The box will be for running (6) lights with (2) 600 watt Lumatek ballasts. I really appreciate your help!

MagniKhan

Veteran
Thank you so much! It will only be used for 600 Watt ballasts. The box will be for running (6) lights with (2) 600 watt Lumatek ballasts. I really appreciate your help!

I think I can put together an easy to follow print/picture and parts list.
Check back in a couple of hours.

MagniKhan

Veteran
I'm a bit busy today, could you save me a little time?
I only have one electronic ballast, and I'm just about to start using it, so I have no experience with them.
I'm sure it also go's without saying, I've never setup a flip with electronic ballast, much less a triple like you are needing.

With the Lumatek's you have, what kind of "re-strike" logic do they have in case of "power outage/disruption"?
If they have "re-strike" logic, how long does it shut down for?

I know some shut off for fifteen minutes anytime they loose power, that would make you photo-period 11 1/2 hrs. There are ways around this. But it becomes kind of a budget issue, might almost be better, in a "perfect scenario" to use four ballast.

Next big question is once again back to "re-strike" logic. What do the Lumtek's do if they loose connection to the lights?

I've been thinking about how to set up the logic, in line timers, whether interrupt power or just the lights during the flips. It all bares heavily on the layout and materials used.

hvac guy

Easy to build, you need 6 flip relays, but only 2 can be energized at a time so only two lights. You can stagger one at a time to flip so you always have 1 light on when the other light swtiches off, then another light on. A PLC would allow exact timing. If you want to power off each of the two ballats before they turn on a cold bulb, the PLC can handle that too.

Snype

Veteran
I'm a bit busy today, could you save me a little time?
I only have one electronic ballast, and I'm just about to start using it, so I have no experience with them.
I'm sure it also go's without saying, I've never setup a flip with electronic ballast, much less a triple like you are needing.

With the Lumatek's you have, what kind of "re-strike" logic do they have in case of "power outage/disruption"?
If they have "re-strike" logic, how long does it shut down for?

I know some shut off for fifteen minutes anytime they loose power, that would make you photo-period 11 1/2 hrs. There are ways around this. But it becomes kind of a budget issue, might almost be better, in a "perfect scenario" to use four ballast.

Next big question is once again back to "re-strike" logic. What do the Lumtek's do if they loose connection to the lights?

I've been thinking about how to set up the logic, in line timers, whether interrupt power or just the lights during the flips. It all bares heavily on the layout and materials used.

The Lumateks shut off for 20 minutes, I believe. I really appreciate your help. Take your time if you are busy. As long as I can have some sort of plan by Friday then I am all set. Again thanks again. If you think it's better for me to have 4 ballasts then let me know. Money's not an issue.

EDIT: I'd rather use 4 ballasts because I need the other lights to come on right when the other ones shut off. Real good thinking!

Snype

Veteran
Easy to build, you need 6 flip relays, but only 2 can be energized at a time so only two lights. You can stagger one at a time to flip so you always have 1 light on when the other light swtiches off, then another light on. A PLC would allow exact timing. If you want to power off each of the two ballats before they turn on a cold bulb, the PLC can handle that too.

I really have no idea what you are talking about. When it comes to things like this, I have a tough time understanding. Can you explain it like you are talking to a child? As far as details in the rows of lights goes, 2 lights have to shut off at the same time and then the next row comes on. That's they way I need it to work.

gurnt

I be very easey2relays 4 way's 1 would be on 4 hr then the neix 1 would be on 8 then you power off that 8hr relay with a delay relay that split the the one with the 8 hr on it for 4 hr. But ass chepp as you can buy use light set up just run 3 set 4 hr each if you draw it out you see how easey it is

------------4 hr on
power in ____relayl ligh off
_____relay______8ht
******4hr 0nn

Snype

Veteran
I be very easey2relays 4 way's 1 would be on 4 hr then the neix 1 would be on 8 then you power off that 8hr relay with a delay relay that split the the one with the 8 hr on it for 4 hr. But ass chepp as you can buy use light set up just run 3 set 4 hr each if you draw it out you see how easey it is

------------4 hr on
power in ____relayl ligh off
_____relay______8ht
******4hr 0nn

I have no idea what you are saying. Can you please state it a little more clear. Maybe a diagram?

gurnt

you're running a standard flip box with 1 leg split if you can't draw it out you better pass

MagniKhan

Veteran
PARTS LIST:

HomeDepot (or the like)

1. 14g stranded wire

• 3.5 feet of white
  • 3.5 feet of black
  • 1.5 feet of Green

1. 10x10 ( or bigger!) metal junction box
  2. 3 2x4 outlet boxes
  3. 3 1/2 connectors for the 2x4's box to the junction box, 8 romex connectors for the cords
  4. 3 lamp cords ( 16g wire with plugs)
  5. screws and assorted hardware to mount the relays to the junction box
  6. 15 Amp fuse and holder
  7. Three lamp timers ( I like these, no problems so far)
  8. 3 regular outlets ( I like the singles)
  9. wire nuts ( small pack of each )

• red
  • yellow

Order Online ( or use same rated like replacements)

1. Flip Relay (POTTER & BRUMFIELD - PRD-11AG0-120 - POWER RELAY, DPDT, 120VAC, 30A) http://www.newark.com/te-connectivi.../power-relay-dpdt-120vac-30a-panel/dp/33F1536
  2. Power Contactor (Siemens 3TD40-00-0AG2 120v coil): http://www.electronicsurplus.com/Item/141852/Siemens%20-%20Relay_%20contactor_%20Coil_%20110VAC_%20-%203TD40-00-0AG2/
  3. Safety Relay/ Aux contact Omron G2R-2-SN AC120 DPDT 120VAC 5A :http://www.newark.com/omron-industr...-s/power-relay-dpdt-120vac-5a-plug/dp/08J0984
  4. Relay Base,RELAY SOCKET OMRON P2RF-08-E http://www.newark.com/omron-industr...ay-socket/dp/35K4862?MER=ACC_N_L5_Relays_None
With these relays and wire it will be able to handle both 600w or 1000w with ease if you so chose in the future. The the above said it will be a single flip and a standard relay start, except it will be mechanically and electrically interlocked so the over all draw does not exceed 1200w.

MagniKhan

Veteran
I'll order the contact for the relays once you OK/order them.

album.php

EDIT: We need to change that fuse to a 15 AMP. I will add the size of the fuse on the next print.

Snype

Veteran
I'll order the contact for the relays once you OK/order them.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47832&pictureid=1116556&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
View Image

EDIT: We need to change that fuse to a 15 AMP. I will add the size of the fuse on the next print.

OK I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I'm going to home depot tomorrow to get all the parts and then I will talk about it when I can see the parts in my face to see if I understand it. I can't thank you enough for your help!

MagniKhan

Veteran
OK I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I'm going to home depot tomorrow to get all the parts and then I will talk about it when I can see the parts in my face to see if I understand it. I can't thank you enough for your help!

Not a problem.
Once you have all the parts I think we can sort out any questions in short order.
Most of the confusing stuff is numbered so I can lay out real clear instructions.