What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing, the best answer for the HOW TO CURE/WHY ITS SO IMPORTANT, Ive ever read.

thinkin

back in the day, I got my hands on some "Blue Berry."
nice light taste.
All i am saying, the method might work.
might cut a branch and test.

Greenheart

Veteran
My DJS Blueberry smells and tastes exactly as it was named. My AK48 also has a heavy fruit flavor. I have seen products in the stores that claim to add flavor during the flush but have been too scared to try them thinking pure H20 is best for bringing out nature's goodness.

My buddy last year grew one outdoors with MG crystals in a 5 gallon bucket with no holes. Yep she was all kinds of hay smells and dead leaves towards the finish. In the end he called it retardant because it would not light. Dry as a bone he literally could not get a joint to light or a bong to fire. Pretty damn scary!

Many growers claim to use blackstrap till the end with no negative results. By adding juices or mollassess in particular would you not be supplying Mg, K or other vitamins for the plant? Would this not then show up in the final result? I've also thought of trying vitawater but in the end I always go with straight water and trust in my ladies to have natural palate appeal. It takes about 3 weeks after harvest day but then they start getting a fruity smell and tasting smoother so I have not taken the chance.

My experience has taught me that a good strain will have all the smell and taste one desires and the main ingredient to a good quality smoke is time!

THC123

Veteran
i once used sweet leaf from AN , flushed 2-3 weeks , but the buds had a strong caramel undertone all of the strains had a similar bytaste

still i dont buy the adding flavour thingy i mean if it where true my outdoor buds would taste like shit becasue i use organic npk pellets that smell strongly like ....shit

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
On the subject of rehydrating the bud, the best method I have found is to use a fresh hand leaf. I take a fresh leaf and wad it up and put it into the jar, it will be dry in a day or two, then I check the jar and see how it is. Usually it takes three leafs per jar to bring them back to where I want them. Then it takes two months for the bud to recure. You have to recure after any rehydration. I do all my bud this way to ensure it does not get moldy.

I get all the flavor I could want from my girls, that adding crappola is just that, crappola.
H

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I don't doubt that good growers get good results with flavor additives. IMO, the same good grower is getting those results from their collective regimen more than the additive itself.

I don't doubt that herd additives like molasses affect the regimen positively. I just don't think it translates to taste any more than the npk profile it contains.

And if one finds a flavor amendment that actually transfers as a whole to the product, I'm not sure I'd care to smoke it.

I don't doubt that good growers get good results with flavor additives. IMO, the same good grower is getting those results from their collective regimen more than the additive itself.

I don't doubt that herd additives like molasses affect the regimen positively. I just don't think it translates to taste any more than the npk profile it contains.

And if one finds a flavor amendment that actually transfers as a whole to the product, I'm not sure I'd care to smoke it.

I have to agree. Has anyone used flavor additives with success?

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As far as all the flavoring nonsense, well that's just not good Cannabis I'm afraid.

For drying & curing, I dry buds seven to ten days roughly then into big glass mason jars in the fridge that is a few degrees above freezing but never below.

Take the jars out once a day (or more if you want to) and pop the tops to let the moisture equalize and most importantly to expel any gases that have acummulated in the enclosed sealed container. Shake the jars around a little bit to aerate the buds and then reseal those lids and back in fridge after sitting out maybe 15 minutes at room temp. Just let the condensation inside/outside of the jar dry and disappear it doesn't take long.

I do that for like a week then the buds stay in jars in the fridge for good. Everyone I know who does this always has fresh potent nugs that don't dry out or get any mold. I have buds over 2 years old that are seemingly fresh as the month I harvested them and very flavorful & potent. I call it the cold cure and it works wonders for preserving delicious fruity nugs. If you vaporize or cook with your buds this really is the best method because they don't get all old & musty. Fresh & frosty white instead!:canabis:

Now if you want some buds that smell like fruits, namely sugary sweet pink grapefruit and family check out Sweet Tooth. There are some real blueberry/strawberry smelling ones as well and you sure as hell don't need to add anything artificial to the plants to get it! :biggrin:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey man it works, thanks for the kind words :tiphat:

As you open the jars and pull nugs out each time you release gases and such and you will see they reach a really nice fresh but yet dried and cured consistency over time but never get too cured out and they don't lose much color. I might even dump the nugs back out on some white paper towels for a few hours after a week of the fridge curing just to crisp them up a bit. If I am gonna roll a joint I will just grab a bud and let it sit out for a little while to get crispy before breaking it up and twisting it up. That way it burns well no problems. :joint:

You can play around with it as you see fit of course but the general idea is the cold slows down any decomposition and prevents any molds while preserving the flavors and oils that would gradually be lost as the herb got too dried out and over cured as normally happens when nugs don't get kept in the fridge. I mean who doesn't keep their dried nugs cold? No mold and their moisture content is very even because of the cold with no noticeable loss of potency even if stored for long periods of time like some of us personal growers do. :biggrin:

Been doing it this way ever since I was taught it by the first guy I ever knew who grew his own buds. He always had the best herb! :canabis:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
IMO curing is overrated..

some of the best/tastiest buds i've smoked have been freshly picked and dried

TruthOrLie

Veteran
you lost me at remoisturizing buds

just throw the whole freshly chopped plant into a bucket of milk. no need to trim, dry, cure, nada.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO curing is overrated..

some of the best/tastiest buds i've smoked have been freshly picked and dried

If the plant is allowed to fully mature before harvest yes I agree. :tiphat:

Which is why the cold curing works so well and preserves that freshness. But to be fully psychoactive the trichomes need to be properly dried so make sure to dry your buds well to begin with! :ying:

StonedRob

the first post helped me to better understand the curing process :)

also have my doubts about the flavouring thing...BUT i may try it out.

Thanks AD :p

THC123

Veteran
i'm also gonna try the cold curing with my jars cuz after 4 weeks i notice the fresh smell is going away

with smoking i can really tell if something is cured but with vaping i prefer fresh buds ith the fresh aroma

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent point, if you are vaping you absolutely need some moisture and do not want overdried & overcured buds because it will be harsh with far less flavor imo :joint:

I love vaping man the taste is so glorious am gonna fire up the vape today! :good:

THC123

Veteran
overcured buds because it will be harsh with far less flavor imo

well i vaped the white widow yesterday , 6 weeks cure , really smooth , but almost no flavor compared to the fresh buds

BUT it knocked me out , i didnt even remember falling asleep yesterday and woke up real early on the couch and was like shit what happened

so with your method i hope to combine the smoothness and the effect of simon's method , but with the flavor of the fresh bud(in the vape)

Thanks Again all for your insight,

I did not write the post I simply relayed it, but yeah Drying, Curing, Cold Curing, Milk Curing, Straight Vape,

All sound like things I as a Stoner (proud as hell of it) will most def try them all, I will never stop growing and this leaves enough time to create True Or False comparrisons, which I think we have all thought to do once or twice.

I am stoked to see so many people simply reading the post as I does help those who wish to cure thier buds also helping them understand whats actually cracking.

I have smoked fresh and cured buds from the same plant and it does make a huge difference.

Namaste :joint:

shorty68

thx for all info peps. think i will stick with all natural hang in the dark way. maybe thats why sum med. have been harsh and not so good for good high.

Latest posts

Latest posts