What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Curing" Resin - The Next Wave? (& Cherniak's new pamphlet)

Curing hashish

Curing hashish

High all, I believe that terpenes are the masters of the cure, terpenes make the differences in taste and smell, as they evaporate and transform(through curing).
When there is some humidity left(to much of it!) the hash will have a harch(?)taste and make you cough.
Boom Shankar! RR

PS: I beleive also that ice hash gets tastyer and better with a good cure.

Sundance

Great thread and conversation

Here is a copy and paste of a post from another site

I bought the book HASHISH The Joy of Making & Curing By LAURENCE CHERNIAK & ALAN DRONKERS.

There is written, that curing fresh skuff for 3 months in an oven with 37°C will result in resin, which bonds together easily and is the base for nepal temple balls-like stuff.

First I was very sceptic indeed that they should use this method in Nepal to produce hashish. However what I don´t try I cannot judge objectively, so I was looking for an appropriate "oven".

I found a quite cheap solution => an incubator the Lucky Reptile "Herp Nursery" for about 120EURO, where the temp can be adjusted +- to 37°.

After finishing pollinating my outdoor stuff with 150microns sieve I put the resin in glass jars and them in the incubator.

I was opening each jar for about 10minutes every 4th day at least to exchange the air and take a deep breath.

The really most amazing impression about this thing was the deep smell during the curing process, which was the strongest smell I ever experienced from ganja. :eek: Especially from Blueberry the smell was really narcotic, so one got almost stoned of just smelling on the jar. :D

I really let the resin rot for more than three months in this box!!!

Alan Dronkers and Laurence Cherniak don´t lie in this book at all. :)

The resin from the 1st sifting really bond together more than easily. I had a firm ball together within least than a minute!!! Impossible with fresh pollinated resin on 150microns normally...
The second sifting would have been bond together with longer pressing and maybe a lil´bit of water, but this great hash making day I just didn´t have the patience, so I baked it with the good old method...

Of course the balls weren´t finished yet and needed further pressing to become something as Nepal Temple Balls. So I used a method also mentioned in the book => putting the balls in celophane bags and then in my shoes. I had them in my shoes for about 3 weeks and really the balls became black. :)

So that´s the end of the story. I will come back with pix, but for now I invite You to enjoy

THIS VIDEO

which should give Ya peeps an impression wtf I am talking about... ;)

BTW ... www.laurencecherniak.com ... should work bettter

Hope this is helpful

Keep it concentrated

Sundance

dread

Veteran
after pressing ,let it rest at least 3 months in a dry,dark & cool enviroment(15-20 degrees)
hashiesh gets better in time ,just like wine

some homemade chunks
grtz
Dread

Dkgrower

Veteran
Bump, did any off u hash heads do any test off this method

I did some and found it to be on some part dangerous and not worth the time at all

First if u resin is less that 1 month old form the harvest date then u will get some funky odor-mold like in u resin, not good at all....

Second i ditten get that swelling up like others reported

Also if u want to press the resin after into some lump, the piece can, due to not being dry enuff, some days after pressing it turn back into a moiste power like substance that will not stick together again..

I also know Mr. C and he is a very light smoker and more an artist and photographer that an xpert on hash, i will leave it at that and hope some off u had better experience than i did

Bom Shiva

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
After pressing, I prefer mine stored at sub-zero :) It must be 100% dry, completely before pressing.. I've used a bottle jack pressure etc..but if it is good enough it will turn into a temple ball if you look at it wrong! The palm of your hand will work but gets messy and sticky. Proper vegetable cellophane bag with kief inside folded over, no sello crap, and a warm surface and a rolling pin. A wine bottle with hot water inside works well I hear. I think something happens with the pressure and soft heat but don't know what. It does make it IMO nicer but just my opinion. I have now come to realize that all my previous pressing and curing techniques just made up for my inferior hash.. My hash now consists largely of just gland heads without stalks and it just makes it all easier to enjoy and curing to be honest does not make that much of a difference to the pure stuff :)

purple_man

Veteran
what i experienced with curing dry sieve is, if it is of high purity, after a couple of weeks, it starts "clumping" and forming different size clumps... and usually no matter how long it's cured there is no problem of pressing (need for high pressure or heat), when heat or higher pressure is needed, it's an indicator that the sieved material has a considerable amount of contaminations (resin stalks, debris, ...), and yes, the longer the polm is stored the less tickely/rough on the throat n lungs it gets, it losses alot of the "fresh/spicy/sharpness" flavor, and becomes much richer "broader" in taste, and also the high effect and duration increase alot.... i find that fresh sieved uncured set on of the high is very fast, the strength is very strong and unbalanced, and duration is rather short lived 1hour...

blessss

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I wonder what different curing methods will do for hash, pressed and unpressed as comparison. I reckon gentle heat and well pressed, just allowing everything to ooze together and look like marbled caramel is best for me. My mate likes to thoroughly press and fold and press and fold his till it is one homogenous golden slab and that is the best for him to enjoy. Some like it unpressed..? I wonder how the curing affects each way differently ?

all the people at joke city think curing cons is obsolete...i told em they didnt make enough to have it long enough to cure
waxes def get better dep on the texture/strain...
curing wax ftw

therevverend

Veteran
Has anyone tried hash that's aged 3 years or more?

Yes. At 3 years on, more and more of the terpenes and oils have broken down and degraded. The THC is breaking down into weaker forms. It starts to get a stale flavor, the high gets weak and it loses it's pop. You can draw a bell curve to show the curing process, how it goes from too fresh, improves until it hits it's perfect point and then it slowly degrades and loses flavor and potency. The less light, heat, moisture, and oxygen and the slower the process. In theory at a cold enough, dry enough, sealed dark environment you could cure the stuff indefinitely. Maybe we could send it to the moon but then the cosmic rays would break it down..

My take is that it reaches it's peak sometime around a year, give or take a year and a half. A lot depends on strain, curing of the flowers, etc. If the flower is aged for 6 months to a year before sieving the hash won't take long to reach it's peak. If it's fresh resin then it's going to need to age a lot longer, close to 2 years. 3 years is a good number because that's when the stuff starts to noticeably degrade.