What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing - how long is too long?

xerb

Tonight I opened a jar of 1990 NL5 X Haze (Sensi Seeds) that has been curing for 2 years.
Popping the top the smell was great, fresh cut pine, a slight lemony edge, and when crushing
a small bud it gets pretty loud, the smell is now more astringent like pinesol or some solvent or cleaner.

The smoke on the inhale was soo smooth, maybe you only dreamed you took a hit?
But the resin is thick on the back of my tongue.
3 hits and I am amazed by the flavor now coating my mouth.
This is probably the best cured weed I have ever smoked !

Very clear high, pleasant and functional for the moment, Let's smoke some more !

Wish you were here X

DSC_0323.JPG

ERB

TdotGonG

Terpenes are a volatile compound. They have a shelf life. Oxidization occurs and other compounds are formed. As to the time frame, that depends on who's insane enough to actually make a statement saying that "X" strain or "X" terpene last "X" long in "X" jar or "X" plant. Because it would be like saying grape juice taste like apple juice, that's you're opinion. You would need a very heavily controlled environment and a bevy of bio-chemists to test the end product over a period of time. And I can say with confidence, they wouldn't give anything factual in terms of time frame due to the variability of testing outcomes, no matter the test environment. You're best bet is just to grow a very specific and well breed strain over a long period of time. To get a rough estimate of the time, you as an individual notice the fresh terpene profile taper off.

TPFTFW

Veteran
Tonight I opened a jar of 1990 NL5 X Haze (Sensi Seeds) that has been curing for 2 years.
Popping the top the smell was great, fresh cut pine, a slight lemony edge, and when crushing
a small bud it gets pretty loud, the smell is now more astringent like pinesol or some solvent or cleaner.

The smoke on the inhale was soo smooth, maybe you only dreamed you took a hit?
But the resin is thick on the back of my tongue.
3 hits and I am amazed by the flavor now coating my mouth.
This is probably the best cured weed I have ever smoked !

Very clear high, pleasant and functional for the moment, Let's smoke some more !

Wish you were here X

ERB

Dang what’s the story with them beans

xerb

I guess my point is - this is the smoothest, cleanest, most delicious bud I have tasted in a long time.
The contents of the jar have been visited and tested every month or two - is just keeps getting better tasting.

I will admit, the buzz is not as edgy as it once was, but it still packs a wallop ! Wish I could share !

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I found a half pound of Scotts OGK that was in the same vac pac it arrived in. It was stored in a dark safe, but got hot over a summer. Brown shrunken buds that smell very pepperish. The buzz is great for nightime, sleep aid. I wouldn't recommend it as a way to cure dope.

xerb

I've really been enjoying this 2 year cured 1990 NL5 X Haze since I started this thread.
Plant #1 has been stored in a wooden box in a controlled environment where it averages
about 65 F winter, 70 F in the summer. The nose is clean, fresh cut pine - no other remarkable scents.
Unlike #2, this one has none of the solvent/cleaner smell, the lemon scent is absent as well.
It is refreshing in it's simplicity.

I've been smoking plants #1 and #2, both are still killer bud!
I took just ONE toke last night and was high for several hours.

Then I tried 3 tokes of a good, fresh hybrid, hoping to be able to sleep. Normally this stuff feels strong.
Those 3 tokes actually brought me down, but added no noticeable buzz to my existing state.

I love the quality of the buzz from this long cure.
The anxious, racy start seems to have diminished, but the clear soaring sativa high is still very strong!

Cheers, XERB

Last edited:

Veggia farmer

I still smoke most some of the two and half year old or more buds. I also have fresher bud but I like this the most atm. The high changes a lot after a long cure. Even indicas loose some of the "drunkenness" to it, just make me mellow, but still very clear and focused. Fresh buds feels more "intoxicating" maybe, lacking a better word perhaps? Anyways. I have no idea what is too long for my taste, since I have never ancountered that. As long as it has been in storage right. Thats my opinion, I know some like the more fresh stuff. The taste change, SOME taste better fresh. Think maybe some terps are very fragile, or we know

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I share th OP's observation...And also I've noticed the longer bud is stored the more of a creeper it becomes. And even longer lasting I feel? I have to be careful not to smoke too much of some of my 1year old stuff as it will take a while to hit. But when it hits... mon dieu!
CC

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You did a super job with those buds they look super good, and you can sure see the Haze in them. I have found that the THC will become active if the plant is picked a little early and stored in a Jar for a long period of time. However, if the same plant was picked late and stored the same, the THC will drop and become less-active even though its the same cure time. The inactive cannabinoids can only turn into active THC, or change, if the chemistry supports the change, and that goes for all the cannabinoids. If you put a fast flowering Indica that was harvested late in a jar, it would do differently, than a Sativa and after two years, maybe not as good.😎

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I don't really think you can "cure" buds for too long... I used to just call it "saving" samples of weed, but I guess it continues curing..

I keep my weed in jars... Labeled, of course, with ID and harvest date.. I feel that as long as it's kept in jars, so it doesn't get too dry on you, it just continues to cure.
(maybe "age" is a better term... like a fine wine..)

I still have weed from my 2014 harvest.. and every year since.. As we smoke it and the quantity becomes less, I just put it in smaller jars.. (To save storage space..)

Even stored in vacuum sealed jars, and the jars kept in cardboard boxes in a dark closet, the weed will eventually become brown,
while retaining enough moisture content to not become too dry or crumbly..

Yeah, the high will change over time, but that's not a bad thing... Sometimes it seems to be a much mure mellow and enjoyable high,
by I suppose it partially all depends on your frame of mind when you smoke it...

It's nice having a wide variety on hand, of different age cured weeds to choose from..

xerb

Hi All, I enjoyed hearing your observations. They give me a few ideas and things to watch for.
I too, have found different strains or plants that like to handled differently.
It was one of those that changed how I cure my weed.

I found one of my plants, the strain escapes my memory right now, but it did not want to be cured in a jar.
As soon as I put it in a jar it lost most of it's unique smell and taste.

Instead of jarring it, if I put it in a cigar box, It dried slowly and sort of cured, but kept it's smell and taste.
It was a very fruity plant, but until I started using the boxes, I was really missing out on it's flavor potential.

I now hang my plants without any trimming for long periods in a temperature and humidity controlled
room (my drying shed). They are ready when I get around to manicuring them.
At that point about half goes into jars and the other half into wooden boxes which stay in the shed.

XERB

PS. I made friends with a guy who owned a cigar shop, we worked out a deal where he saved the nicest
cigar boxes for me, and I would bring him a little care package when ever I went by his place.

Veggia farmer

You did a super job with those buds they look super good, and you can sure see the Haze in them. I have found that the THC will become active if the plant is picked a little early and stored in a Jar for a long period of time. However, if the same plant was picked late and stored the same, the THC will drop and become less-active even though its the same cure time. The inactive cannabinoids can only turn into active THC, or change, if the chemistry supports the change, and that goes for all the cannabinoids. If you put a fast flowering Indica that was harvested late in a jar, it would do differently, than a Sativa and after two years, maybe not as good.😎

Im not here to argue, but one of my recent examples are indeed an relativ fast flowering indica harvested very late and cured (or maybe as bud green says aged is more correct). My experience is that this works very good and why more for my likings after this "aging" process. I can get very hyper, so I like something like an indica in the morning somedays. After the curing/age-ing its perfect for my. Give me a nice buzz for a little while, then it keeps me "cool" through out the day. I will admit I have dont the fault of smoking more after the "high" went down. Then I will not be so productive, but a little helps a lot! indica and coffee is my thing;) lol

This might be somewhat the same thing you experience, because I dont gets so very high on this bud I have in my mind. Fast ceiling. EDIT: Fast "head" ceiling, not body.

Does the sativas loose the racy edgy and get to be more mellow or calmer? Have only had this long term storage with indica dominant strains....

Last edited:

Drewsif

Terpenes are a volatile compound. They have a shelf life. Oxidization occurs and other compounds are formed. As to the time frame, that depends on who's insane enough to actually make a statement saying that "X" strain or "X" terpene last "X" long in "X" jar or "X" plant. Because it would be like saying grape juice taste like apple juice, that's you're opinion. You would need a very heavily controlled environment and a bevy of bio-chemists to test the end product over a period of time. And I can say with confidence, they wouldn't give anything factual in terms of time frame due to the variability of testing outcomes, no matter the test environment. You're best bet is just to grow a very specific and well breed strain over a long period of time. To get a rough estimate of the time, you as an individual notice the fresh terpene profile taper off.

Bro us humans have noses. You don't need labs to tell that clean quality herb gets better when the stupid fuckin terpenes go away.

Blows my mind how many people think those stupid terps are what we're after.. If you grow right your bud wouldn't smell like seedlings at harvest. That's what the smell of terpenes is, seedling aroma. Shouldn't be any terpenes at harvest.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I think my stash goes back to 2007 but it's pretty browned off now. I have some honey from that time which is unchanged. The weed though, peppery is a good word. You can still see what's what, and it works, with the right underlying tastes. It's very brittle though, which I think might be part of the pepper quality.

I'm usually smoking things between 6 months and 2 years old. After 2, I start seeing them as heirlooms so won't just leave them on the table.

EDIT: New things I smoke straight away, and if keepers, I will keep maybe a years worth straight away. So I can grow it again down the road.

TdotGonG

Bro us humans have noses. You don't need labs to tell that clean quality herb gets better when the stupid fuckin terpenes go away.

Blows my mind how many people think those stupid terps are what we're after.. If you grow right your bud wouldn't smell like seedlings at harvest. That's what the smell of terpenes is, seedling aroma. Shouldn't be any terpenes at harvest.

This right here folks is the prime example of a fucking idiot.

grayeyes

Should we ask where you got this interesting information?

Latest posts

Latest posts