What's new

Crossing with Af

S

soulles

So this year my plants had problems finishing outdoor`s in my not so perfect climet do to frost hitting in early.The humidity is pretty high allredy by the end of september.
So the best thing for me would be a cross that finishes by the middle of september.
So i did some reading on breeding,crossing but i need your help to tell me if my plan is good inaf that it might work?I am open to new idea`s as well.
So here we go.....My plan is to buy a regular strain F1(or F`1 i`m still confused on that)and an auto strain grow them indoor`s and cross them.An atuo male with the regular female.By this if i understand correctly 25% will be auto flowering.So if i would grow out some of these seeds resulting from my cross and find some females that auto flower and back cross them with the auto male`s pollen that was the father of this genaration will i get att least 50% auto flowering phenos or phenos that finish by the middle of september from the offspring?
Sorry if my english is faulty and if you don`t understand something feel free to ask.

Barney Fife

Well your first cross, (the f1s) wouldnt contain any autoflowering characteristics, not until f2, then 25%, then f3, 50%, and so on. (That is my understanding)

None of my (Katsu Bubba kush x Sour D) x MasterLow F1s have autoflowering traits, just made f2s so hoping to see some autos from those seeds.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back crossing to the auto male will bring you further away from the 'regular' strain. If you want to stay closer to the traits of your regular strain then you will want to breed F2 seeds together.

(regular x auto) x (regular x auto) will keep closer to your regular plant

than will

(regular x auto) x auto

S

soulles

I am not very interested in keeping the plant uniform or similar to the parents yet.That i will acomplish in outdoor breeding further along my journey.Watt i want for know is plants tat finish till mid september that would be a great beginning .After that i can select phenos that i cross together and from most of the plants i want to make hash anyways.So will this method shorten the flowering time of lets say an ak47??I thought the back cross with the auto flowering father would be a good to straiten the Auto flowering traits so shortening the flowering time or inducing an early start to flowering.
Anyone else care to share????

Teefers

Ok... so in theory you won't know if the cross was good as an AF until F2? Am I right in assuming that auto flowering is a recessive trait?

lowrdr

if you want something to finish early ive heard reports of crossing gorilla gold with an auto works very well. you still get the big yield but it finishes quicker

S

soulles

I also read that people cross lwryder to sativas to finish in their regions just wanted to go sure.DrBudGreengenes do you have some experience with crossing Af to regular strains?And if so please share..

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
An early finisher is different from an autoflower.

An autoflower plant will start flowering regardless of the photoperiod. Meaning that if you plant it in May you should have a finished plant in July. Plant some more in July and get another crop down in September.

An early finishing strain is one that is just more easily affected by photoperiod. It still grows for a full season, it starts its flowering sooner so you end up with a finished plant 'earlier' than a 'regular' strain at the same location.

Early strains are those like Green's Guerilla Gold, or Danish strains like Danish Passion, Royal Dane or ErdPurT

S

soulles

Yeah man i have no trouble understanding that i would be happy if i would get some that auto flower and some that finish early.So it would be the best of both worlds.So is there nobody that actually pulled a grow like this off??

lowrdr

if you just want it to finish early i dont understand why you dont buy an early strain, it would save you alot of hassle with breeding and selection etc.

S

soulles

My reasons are the following:
-i need many seeds.(no reason buying 100 plus seeds)
-Don`t think any early strain will finish by middle of september.
-If i was to grow normal auto seeds i hear they don`t yield that much
-I also think that if i cross two early strains maybe the early trait will not show up in the offspring or maybe just in a small % of them(but maybe i am wrong here)

But i have done some serious thinking maybe i am better of by crossing an early strain making f2`s and auto f2 seeds separated an i could have 2 harvests.
As i said my plan is not fixed i am open to new idea`s how wold you pull of a grow like this so that it finishes early???I need lots of seeds because i plant my seeds directly in the ground most of them and some in pre arranged holes.So its like natural selection only the tuff survive.This is my method and this i wont change it in rest i am waiting to see your ideas!!!

A

arcticsun

great threa soulless. if you have the time and patience then i say go for it. the reward of getting the exact strain you want and unlimited beans of it is totally worth it imo.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you give a latitude that would help.

Guerilla Gold will finish by the end of August/beginning of September up in Canada.

S

soulles

I am at latt. 46 north and as i said frost hit this year oct 10th.But the end of september is very rainy to high humidity for drying.I will look into guerilla gold mate thanks for the head`s up on that

DIRT DIGGLER

None of my (Katsu Bubba kush x Sour D) x MasterLow F1s have autoflowering traits, just made f2s so hoping to see some autos from those seeds.

Sounds like a sweet project you got there.I'm currently vegging my ice x auto ak F1's.I cant wait to start the F2's.I wish you luck.

Benefit

Hi soulles! I'll recomendate you to use ruderalis (you can get it from parrots food :D ) and then AF to get your strain more potent. You can see the results in my thread.
This season I grew WW x Ruderalis x autoak47 and it was more potent then cross from last year WW x autoak47 x Ruderalis.

S

soulles

Hi benefit ,using ruderalis was my first idea(a local one that is) but some more experienced growers told me to stay away because it has no potency and its hard to breed out tat low potency trait.
But anyways i kind of made up my mind what i`m gonna do:
Il do a seed only run
with ak47 from serios and leda uno from kc brains(buy two packs just to go sure)And an auto flowering strain(not sure witch to choose jet)
I will cross auto male with leda uno and ak47 female and make some auto f2`s and also f2`s of the leda and ak so i will have many seeds to play with.
I am a little concerned about the small autos not making enough pollen for all the crosses?!?!

S

soulles

Thanks man!!!! i never have grown out males i have always grown for sinsemilia,so this will be a first.I am very anxious to get my hands on the seeds :respect: